1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Increase in minutes for Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Convictedstupid

Rockets considering giving Yao more minutes
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Nov. 9, 2010, 4:11PM

The Rockets medical staff is exploring through a series of on-going meetings changing the limits on center Yao Ming’s playing time because of the progress he has made in his comeback, a team representative said Tuesday.

The discussions could lead to an increase in his playing time from the limit of 24 minutes per game, changes in the way his minutes are distributed and clearance to play both games of back-to-backs.

Though Yao said there have been no changes in the plan, after sitting out a second game because of a back-to-back, he seemed to be especially eager to be cleared to play every game. The Rockets had planned to revisit Yao's situation in January.

“The team needs to play consistently,” Yao said. “That means you need a consistent lineup. A guy who is a starting center being on and off, on and off, I think that’s not good for a team. That’s why I think playing back-to-back for me and for teammates is very important.”

Yao is averaging 12.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in 21 minutes per game.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7286869.html

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

So much for the rumor that Yao's foot is hurting him. Milicic is a liar :p

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Good, Increase to 28 minutes per game. If Yao becomes a 15-8 guy within a 28-30 min limit, it would be fantastic.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to see 28mpg and every game, that is a workable plan, IMO.

DD

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Back to backs are gonna kill the team. I dont care how few of them there are. Need to play every night. Unlike Tmac I am glad Yao realizes this and brought this up himself. To me thats the difference betwen him and Tmac. Tmac would suggest these back to backs. Yao would fight against them. Hopefully he wins.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yao will play at any cost. Hope they protect him because he won't look out for himself. Like he should.

7. plates300

plates300 Member

increase the minutes, and don't PUBLICLY announce the amount of minutes Yao will play.

2 people like this.
  8. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

This.... lets keep the other teams guessing.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would be ok with 28 min a game for the rest of his Rockets career personally. Obviously it would be more in the playoffs.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like this idea.^

11. Prince

Prince Member

The funny thing about back to back is they don't make a decision based on the oppoenent but plainly homecourt for marketing reason.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think a 30 minute max would be fine, but Rick needs to realize he shouldn't play that much every night. In games that he just doesn't have it (like New Orleans last week) or the matchup is not favorable (IE one in which he cannot truly dominate in the paint), 15-20 minutes would be more appropriate.

In other words, play him based on the matchup. If he's doing well, give him the full 30 minutes, otherwise play Miller or Hill.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Honestly, I would be OK if they just allowed him to play in every game and allowed Adelman to allot the minutes how he sees fit, rather than being limited to 12 in the first half and 12 in the second half.

At the very least, let him split 36 minutes between back-to-back games.

14. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Oh no no my dear. Let me handle those minutes.

15. yaomingyaoming

November just began and already the Houston Rockets and Yao are considering changing the plan? Ilyguskas and the Cleveland Cavaliers stuck to the plan. Yao is risking permanent career ending injury by not taking care of his own health.

If the Rockets can't win with a 24minute Yao, then the Rockets don't deserve to go to the play offs.

16. Htown's2kFinest

Let it be 30 minutes.

17. redao

redao Member

Here is my prescription to Yao and Rockets:

1. 0 minutes in 4th quarter, 6 minutes top in 3rd.
    2. Only plays against below 50% teams.
    3. Only play home games.
    4. Yao should play no defense.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think it should be a floating minutes thing. He has the max at 28 to 30 on some important games and 24 minimum on most nights. That way the opponent never knows how many he might or might not be playing. Somewhere between 24 to 28 minutes. You know like a range of minutes and not a set limit? 24 minutes set on back 2 back nights and up to 28 minutes for important games.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont understand this suggestion.

If he plays 28,29,30,29,30,28 minutes, what do you think his limit is?

20. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

i think he should stay at 24 minutes and let him play back to backs, yaos right when he says that he needs to start consistently with his team and he cant be on or off, then later on see how yao handles back to back then thats when you should increase his minutes.