1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Rockets looking for more from Novak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xomox, Jul 10, 2007.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

suprised noone has posted this article on "The Bomber".

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4955129.html

Rockets looking for more from Novak
    2nd-year player needs to show new coaches he's not just a shooter

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Even though it was the Rockets' first summer-league practice, rookie guard Aaron Brooks had been around long enough to recognize a shooter when he saw one, especially one left open by a defense split by one of Brooks' drives.

Brooks made a quick crossover, drew the defense and whipped a pass to the corner, where Steve Novak caught the ball and stepped back to make a 3-pointer as easily as if he were tossing a wadded-up ball of paper into a trash can.

But by the last practice Monday at Toyota Center, Brooks was ready to put Novak through a different sort of test.

While Novak was swishing free throws, his teammate proposed a challenge. Brooks, the winner of the 3-point-shooting contest at the 2007 Final Four while with Oregon, offered to take on Novak, who won the 2006 competition while with Marquette.

"He said, 'How about '07 against '06?' " Novak said. "I'm sure we'll do it. No question."

If only the regular season were so easy. The trick — as the Rockets begin summer-league play tonight against the Los Angeles Clippers squad in the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas — is for Novak to bring more than just his shooting range and touch to get on the court more in his second NBA season.

A summer of development
    "Scoring is a way to get in the league and stay in the league, but the majority of the guys playing in the NBA are not real big scorers. They're team basketball players," Rockets summer-league coach Elston Turner said. "So that's what we're trying to encourage. It never hurts to have good shooters. I like well-rounded players.

"It's a big summer league for him from the standpoint of development, development as a player."

Coaches always seek ways to get a shooter on the court, and Rick Adelman's offense would seem a good fit for Novak's talents with its priority on spreading the floor.

"There are a lot of things we do offensively that are going to benefit him," Adelman said. "No matter what system you have, what philosophy you have as a coach, the player has to figure out where his strengths are and how he's going to take advantage of that. There's a lot of possibilities for him at both the three and four ... because he does have a great shot and he's smart. It's important for him to show us what he can do."

Stressing strengths
    Adelman added, "He definitely has the stroke. He's got to be smart defensively. Whatever his liabilities are, he has to eliminate those the best he can. That's going to be up to us to help him there."

Novak already appeared comfortable on the offensive end. After the coaching change, the second-year player from Marquette began studying tapes of Adelman's Sacramento teams and then analyzed the Kings' offense with the help of Marquette coach Tom Crean.

"Just the guys I watched from Sacramento, guys like Peja (Stojakovic), the way they played, (Mike) Bibby and (Chris) Webber, how they were able to have their offense and play real freely and run up and down — it's an exciting way to play, an exciting way to watch," Novak said.

"I don't look at it as a second chance. Last year was great. I learned a lot from that coaching staff and being on that team, playing behind a guy like Juwan Howard. It's my second year. I'm looking to contribute more."

Stronger since last summer, the 6-10 Novak primarily will play power forward this week. Whether he can hold his own in the low blocks could be an indicator as to his chances in the fall.

"He's got to make a commitment to toughen that out," assistant coach Jack Sikma said. "He's got to be active. He's got to mix his defenses. He's got to hold them up an extra count so help can get there.

"He brings the skill for someone his size. With coach Adelman's offense, we're going to spread the court. If they commit a man to him, it opens up for others."

Drawn to the 3-point line
    As always with Novak, everything comes back to shooting.

"You can tell, if you put him in the right spot, he can cause some problems," Turner said. "I tell you, he's looking for that 3-point line every time. It doesn't matter what you draw up. He wants to find the 3-point line."

Novak said he will be glad to find the line any time Brooks wants, either on the wing running with Brooks or in a shooting contest.

"We have to shoot from the girls' line, though," Brooks said. "He's been at the NBA line for a year. I have to catch up.

"He's a pure shooter. He can probably win anything. The competitor got into me during the 3-point competition. I think my player instinct won that. But he's a great shooter, better than I am."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the "girls line" comment is pretty funny - im starting to like brooks - w/ hindsight regarding the v-spandimonium he looks like a good pickup (especially when we dump rafer too).

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

When will they get it into their heads???? Novac is a spot up three point shooter!!! A Role playerWho is also a great free throw shooter!He comes in to boost the scoring as needed.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cut them some slack. You have been on the bbs for 5 years and you still quote a whole article (and mess with font size) just to write three lines even though you should know better.

5. Astockmarketgod

didnt Bat win the 3 point shooting contest in college too????

3 3 point shooting champs...

go figure

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yetti has always been a BBS problem. I'm tempted to use "street language".

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'More'? That's a comparative. He brought nada last year. What can we expect next year? Something? Or still nothing?

Gee, could he cede his shot and length to Chuck to make a legit NBA 4? (Think Murphy, without the contract.) If only...

8. aamir

aamir Member

Opportunities at the four isn't what I was hoping to see... but who knows, maybe Novak is our Duncan/Boozer stopper :confused:

...someone please get us a four!

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Novak is garbage.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

novak at the 4...he's going to need some clear and the cream

11. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Do you mind elaborating on that?

12. rocketsmetalspd

Novak can become a useful role player ala Matt Bullard(I hope).

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Novak is what he is....there really aint much more coming from him. He is the new version of Matt Bullard. I expect him to contribute as much as Air Bullard did.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

WOW, beat me to it, lol.

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

You mean we didn't draft novak for his shotblocking and highlight reel dunks?

White guy spotting up in the corner...and Brooks thinks he's a shooter? That's racist! :p

If novak can do anything more, that's pudding on top, but I expect that we milk his deadeye for all its worth this season because i'll be damned if I see rafer throw up more threes. JVG's idea of inside out was good, we just didn't have enough outside players who could also play defense.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't know about Novak, but I absolutely love the Aaron Brooks pick the more I think about it. He will be Sam Cassell redux.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Rockets looking for more from Novak? Yeah, so are we. Now let's see it happen!

18. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Novak is at least as good a Shooter as Kapono. Look at how much money Kapono is making now and Kapono got major minutes last year. Novak got squat but then well it's the Rookie Year. Kapono has been in the NBA longer.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right. Is it just a gut feeling?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Novak can be more effective than Bullard. He is a better shooter and is more mobile. This will be his year to prove if he belongs in the NBA.

I'll be happy for him if he can earn consistent rotation minutes. Last season, I thought he looked more lost on offense than defense. He just wandered around cluelessly and tried to set picks on the perimeter every now and then. Very few times did he actively look to get himself in scoring position. Adelman's offense is more complicated than JVG's so he better bring his "A" game brainpower to the court. It's encouraging that he took the initiative to gets tapes of Adelman's Kings to figure out what they do. Novak seems to be expecting a lot more out of himself this season, which is a good sign. Good luck.