1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronic]Rockets begin opening day of Camp Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xomox, Jul 8, 2007.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4950923.html

Steve Novak, the forward taken early in last season's second round, and Carl Landry, the forward taken early in this season's second round, were talking about something they shared before their similar entry to the NBA as Rockets draft picks.

Milwaukee natives both, they talked about neighborhoods and childhood basketball courts until they determined they grew up about 10 blocks apart.

Soon after, however, Novak mentioned their common burden to keep a streak alive, and their past made way for the immediate future on the Rockets' summer league team.

The Rockets' past two summer league teams swept through their schedule unbeaten, Novak reported before the Rockets' first summer practice on Saturday. And both knew they had work to do.

Yet, as Rockets players and the new coaching staff spoke of goals, summer records did not come up again, as the team began the on-court transition to Rick Adelman's system and staff.

"It gives us something to live up to," first-round pick Aaron Brooks said. "But whatever happens, happens. We'll just play hard."

Getting up to speed
    Adelman and assistant Elston Turner, the summer league head coach, happily returned to the court after taking last season off. Both said the first step of summer league is rather than getting the players up to speed, it's getting the staff ready.

"It's good work for us as a staff," Turner said. "We're back together. We added Jack Sikma to our staff (of Adelman, Turner and T.R. Dunn). We're getting to know each other, trying to bring Jack into the fold, also."

Adelman said much of that is almost a coaching rehearsal for training camp, which begins in Austin on October 1.

"For us, as a coaching staff, it's basically a dry run to go through a lot of things and meet a lot in the next two weeks so when fall camp comes around, we know what we want to do," he said.

After that, he and Turner said the two-days this weekend at Toyota Center and practices and five games this week in Las Vegas will be a start to implementing the system.

Brooks, who should receive even more playing time after guard John Lucas' decision to skip the summer league, Landry and Brad Newley from this season's draft, along with Novak and Lior Eliyahu from last season's draft, are on the summer team.

"We're putting some things in, but it's not like what you're going to do in the season," Adelman said. "You make them understand what you want. We don't want a lot of standing around. It gives everybody a chance to create and do what they want to do, but within reason.

"I think we've been able to do this enough times, we know what we want to put in. Especially the guys who are going to be on our team, we want to see what they can do in a situation like this."

A learning process
    After that, the emphasis will shift to evaluation. After one practice, Adelman said he has already considered ways to make players more effective in the five games (Tuesday through Sunday) in Las Vegas. He also would like to determine if there are unsigned players he would like to bring to camp in the fall.

For now, however, Saturday's first practices represented a start. There would be time for other goals later, including perhaps keeping the streak alive.

"As far as implementing the system to the younger guys, first of all, we know it works," Turner said. "We did it in Sacramento and were pretty good at it. It's going to be more teaching. Things move along at a slower pace.

"The coaching staff is new. Guys don't know us. We're trying to get to know them, also. It will take some time, but hopefully, we'll get there."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

October 1st seems so far away....

then again, I am anticipating the events leading up to it, Rowdy tryouts, finding out who made the RPD cut, and Media Day :)

3. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I'm glad that John Lucas III isn't going to participate. We already know what he can do in the summer league, and I would like to see more of Aaron Brooks.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

dunno if it is smart for lucas to be skipping out (don't know what else he would be doing). If anyone's spot in the roster is in jeopardy, its his, we added three point guards (including newley, i guess he has a shot next year) and Brooks is our new hotness short speed point. JL3 is going the way of Mike Wilks.

5. Adelman

Adelman Member

what is the exact reason lucas is skipping out?

personal choice or team choice?

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Maybe he's included in a deal. :D

One can dream right?

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I wanna see how Brad Newely and the Isrealie fella does. i think newely can one day be a very solid player. maybe something like boki without the defense. who knows?

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

I hope so :)

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

he averaged aroudn 20 points in the summer league, we are making him skip so that we ( the fans) will be excited at Aaron Brooks scoring 20 points a game, not John Lucas.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't read too much into JL not playing... I remember Head didn't play summer league last year and everyone thought he was going to get traded.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Image taken from article:
    [​IMG]

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Remember folks, this is only Summer League. JL3 was the MVP last year and look where that got him. Although I still love watching these games, take these performances with a grain of salt. I can't wait to see Brooks, Newly, Landry and Novak on the floor.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Is that the Israeli kid behind Brooks. Man, is he a stick.

14. The Hungarian Rocket

The Chron sais: Newly drafted Rockets Aaron Brooks, left, and Carl Landry put their skills on display Saturday at Toyota Center.

(but i think he's Lior Eliyahu)

15. Htown57

Htown57 Member

yeah carl landry is a 250+ pound black man, not a stick skinny israeli...I think the chronicle busted that caption a little bit.

16. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

same here man...anyone know when tryouts are for rowdy's?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Brooks appears to be in damn good shape. Eliyahu (assuming it's Eliyahu) reminds me of the shape Novak was in, the same time last year.

18. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

only brooks is referenced in the picture. carl landry is not mentioned as being in the picture. it can be wrongly assumed that both are referenced to the picture.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Defense worse than Boki is Brad Newley playing with defense with a headband covering his eyes.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If you examine the photo you will see that Eliyahu has much more developed shoulders than Novac. Most very tall sports people look like stick people but some have great fitnes without muscle bulk.