1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC Dick Justice] So that's why the Rockets could still use Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The way Artest played D last night i really don't see a diff. :eek:

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm having a hard time seeing how last night shows how the Rockets need McGrady when Von Wafer put up 21 points in 27 minutes. With McGrady out there that total probably goes to 0 points in 0 minutes.

I'm also having a hard time seeing how McGrady's presence is going to prevent Roy from scoring 42 points. More likely Batum or whomever else McGrady would be guarding goes off for more points than he did and the Rockets give up even more points.

Or perhaps the goal is simply to get Yao Ming a few more shots while everyone else stands around and watches McGrady hold the ball, only to miss their shots when they count because they haven't touched the ball all night? If that's the case then yeah, the Rockets really could have used McGrady last night.

3. yao123

yao123 Member

ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! IF ONLY THE COMMISSIONER WAS CHINESE!!!!!!!! they foul yao everytime they tried to front him :mad: ****ing referees....imagine if this game was played in china

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

...because if they hadn't been allowed to front Yao by fouling, then the Rockets would have won, and therefore Justice wouldn't have felt the need to write about why the Rockets still need McGrady. I see where you're coming from and how that relates to the thread. I'm with you.

:rolleyes:

sheesh

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Dream and Clyde are just as likely to suit up for game 3 as McGrady is. The whole point of the argument is pointless. It's also incorrect see how McGrady's mythical abilities Justice speaks of have him sitting on a 0-7 playoff record.

There is no doubt this team is better without 08-09 McGrady. We'll never know if it would be better if 07-08 McGrady was on the roster but I doubt it considering how much better Ron got once Tracy was gone. Wafer wouldn't get the minutes he is getting either. So you would lose a lot or production to get back McGrady's 22/6/6.

6. respect_roc

respect_roc Member

Sigh! I wish I get paid, too, for stating the obvious.

We need another guy on the team who demands the same attention from the other team as Yao does. Roy has Aldridge. Right now, we don't have anyone like that who's suited up. Whether it's a healthy T-Mac or whoever we can get next season doesn't really matter, as long as we get one.

Now, we're still in this season - so let's focus on what we have instead of what we wish we had. Sometimes I don't understand what they get out of writing stuff like this.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The answer to THE TMAC QUESTION is simple.
    WILL HE RUN THE D*MN OFFENSE or Do his TMac thing?

If it is the TMAC THING . ..we don't need him.

If he will RUN THE D*MN OFFENSE .. . then he could be good

Rocket River

8. absent2007

absent2007 Member

OfCoz we need a superstar like TMAC...even lamest fans would know that, in NBA history, no one can carry his team alone...we need a second options, RON is OK, AB is OK, but they are not in the same level as TMAC or YAO, and they need to step up to help Yao and help houston rockets

I would like rather see RON to begin to drive the ball even in slow motion, instead of bricking the 3 pts...and for AB 2 word --learn passing

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

TMac is injured, he can not play, what is the point for Dick Justice? It sounds like a talk that we would be much better if we have Kobe, but Kobe is not on our team.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Justice got the thread title wrong; it should say "....could still use Rafer Alston" (or Mike James).

11. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

*insert Novak's GW three against the Kings video here*

12. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

people that say we don't need tmac are just effing ridiculous. watch the game because we DO NOT have a closer, period. with this years tmac, of course the rockets are better because of his banged up knee. even DWADE said to give tmac some slack because of how long it took wade to get back to his normal self.

if you guys recall during that 22 game winning streak everyone on this board was just raving about his play and how he was able to step up without yao. remembering the cheers in toyota center of "MVP!" "MVP!" or how the national media began to ride his and the rockets jocks.

it sickens me how everyone is saying "twack", "shemac", or "mclady" because obviously last year he played without "heart" or "desire". :eek:

13. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i've been telling all my friends who hopped on the "we're better without mcgrady" bandwagon this same message.

when games are close we don't have tracy.

people just let their emotion of frustration with tmac's injury say stupid stuff like "we're better without him."

c'mon.

this is most basic argument a basketball fan can make. The Rockets are better without a 50% tmac but how can anyone doubt that the rockets are better with a 100% tracy mgrady?

14. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

having said that, i dont think this matchup will expose this hole in our team as much as other teams can.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

0-7 in the first round. Unable to buy a bucket in the 4th quarter of playoffs games last season.

Why do we need him?

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

We're obviously better with a healthy Tracy. He can get into the lane and make crisp passes which lead to easy shots. I just don't know if we can ever expect to have the Tracy back.

Only the blind could assert that the team is better without a healthy T-Mac. Heck, even the gimpy version would have been nice to have off the bench or something (behind the Hawk, of course)

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Again, is healthy Tmac really worth the loss in production from Ron and Von. Ron and Tracy cannot play together. That's a fact. I know you said have him play behind Von but that still requires a reduction in Von's minutes.

I just don't know if Tracy's presence is worth losing the productivity of the other guys who have important roles on this team. It's not like we just take the Rockets' stats and then add Tracy's to them and now it's all good. There are negative consequences for bringing back a guy who doesn't defend and doesn't score very efficiently either.

18. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This comment I agree with.

We don't need McGrady, we need 1 more shooter next to Yao. This team is built to win, if we can add even just a compatible player (such as Michael Redd, or even someone cheap like Mike Miller) the Rockets will be in great shape.

Rockets need to shoot better when Yao gets double and triple teamed, it is just that simple, other players must step up.

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Did you not read the article?

Ugh.

Most of us agree we wouldn't want T-Mac being our guy down the stretch. But just his presence on the floor when HEALTHY forces teams to place a great deal of attention on him, meaning 2 or 3 defenders can't flock in Yao's direction when the ball is swung to his side of the floor.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I 100% agree. The guy makes bad decisions in crunch time...always going for low percentage shot. The problem is the guy has lost so much it's probably just another year for him...I was always hoping he'd smarten up a 'tad' and *gasp* try to go for a high percentage shot? Drive to the basket? Short range jumper? Pick and roll? Nah, just get him on the 3 point line so he can get some space for the 30 footer... :rolleyes:

Alas, having a HEALTHY tmac would make a big difference during the game, but a healthy tmac 'ain't coming through that door', the dude is done. Finished. Kaput. Over. He couldn't come back from a relatively low risk knee scope w/o a thousand excuses on why he can't perform anymore (except the 'I didn't rehab hard enough excuse'). I can't see how he's going to come back from microfracture. By the time he does come back it'll be the playoffs again...then we'll hear the 'oh I'm not in game shape yet' excuse.

I wonder if he'll accept our 'why we won't give you the money you want' excuses...probably not.