1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Turner withdraws from coaching search

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mickey_angelo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

“If circumstances should change in the future, we would have to look at this situation again."

hmm...does that mean he'll wait and see where RA ends up first?

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Like he was ever a serious candidate.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I kind of wanted him to get the job.

He is experienced (lead assistant under Rick for years in both Sacto and Houston), players respect him, and could keep the same system in place.

This sucks. Probably after firsthand seeing the way this organization runs things, said hellllllllllllll no.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That should be a red flag for anyone interested in the position (not that there wasn't enough to discourage interest already).

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

why? Because a life long assistant didn't want to take his mentors job? He probably knew we wasn't a serious candidate anyways. You're reading to much into this.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In America, you reject coaches.
    In Soviet Union, coaches reject YOU!

Alexander and Morey are without honor and coaches and players know it.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Tells me, Elston believes what his mentor believes...STATS ARE FOR GEEKS!!!

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Says alot to me. A guy that wants to be a head coach won't take a job where the players already know your system? First we piss off jvg, then we piss off players, now another coach. These guys are going to have to get it together and learn how to treat people.

9. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Maybe out of respect to Adelman, He does not want to sound eager to get the job. When everything subsides then He will be back in the equation for the coaching vacancy.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Seems a little fishy to me.

1.) How would he not be a serious candidate? He's young, knows the system, and has interviewed for other head coaching positions in the past. Are we going after an old veteran coach who will mostly likely have an ego or something? I thought that was the main reason we got rid of Adelman? :confused:

2.) You really think he wouldn't take it out of respect for Adelman, or Adelman wouldn't encourage him to interview? There's loyalty and then there's stupidity.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Maybe this is a small hint at our horrible our Front Office treats players, coaches, etc. We've seen signs in the past; this only confirms it.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1. the rockets probably arent interested - the team is going in a new direction. we don't need the assistant trying to emulate his mentor. if the team wanted that, they might as well just keep adelman.

2. turner may see greener grass - its better for turner to follow adelman to a big time job like the lakers or the heat. in a few years when adelman retires he might be able to inherit the job.

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

frankly speaking, i don't have any confidence on him. he supposedly help on defense coaching. but the performance on defense end was average no near to what i like to see. i am happy he withdrew so morey has one less chance to fail.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Don't worry. Many would jump at the chance to coach an NBA team.

Turner does not have high credibility with me. Exhibit A--Replay the preseason game vs. DAL which he messed up. KM kept going up to him asking to get back into the ball game. With 1 sec (or so) left, you know the only way they can defeat you is alley-oop yet he tells Yao to guard the inbound pass instead of staying at the rim.

And of course, he's supposed to be the defensive coordinator. Exhibit B--just look at our defense.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i don't think your statement is correct. i believe rox didn't invite him for the job in case he might be another JVG.

16. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Or he knew he'd be forced to play Morey's ridiculous +/- games over winning

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It doesn't help that Martin and Bud are horrible one-on-one defenders. He made good with what we had.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree completely on both fronts. If Morey and Co. really mean it when they say they want change, hiring an Adelman assistant wouldn't be change.

I think the grass very well may be greener elsewhere also. Adelman could get a high profile job and there's something to be said for being a top assistant on a highly-successful team. If Turner really has the chops for head coaching, he'll get his shot. It doesn't need to be right this minute for him to be successful. Some are afraid they will get forgotten if they don't strike when the iron is supposedly hot, but with so much coaching turnover in the NBA, good coaches don't get forgotten.

19. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

The road to Jeff Van Gundy gets stronger. ;)