1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Trade? Don't be ridiculous

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 13, 2005.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A guy with a 5.04 ERA + a player batting .230 with a OBP of .280, for a player who's has a .275 BA and 21 HR. I'm down.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Why not? If they lose Rogers for 20 days (granted, only 5 starts or so), they can plug Backe in....and when Rogers comes back, they bump out their #5 guy and sub in Backe....not to mention, they get a guy who, if they make the playoffs, proved he can pitch in big games.

I think they can afford to lose the offense.

I was actually wondering whether it would be something WE would still do.

3. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Wilson is anything but consistant. His power numbers are mostly from Coors Field and he's a big contract with injury concerns for the past years. We really couldn't afford another 10-12 mil on a guy that could end up on the DL.

On the other hand, as much as Millar isn't what he's used to be, his numbers always move up as the season progresses. He's not a bad hitter; there just isn't room for him on the Astros.

I don't MIND Dunn, but his BA scares me. He's a strike out victim whenever he's not hitting home runs. With Berkman and Ensberg in front of him and able to draw walks and hit base hits all over the field, I don't know if Dunn is the answer. If you were frustrated before that we can't move runners before, Dunn could potentially be damaging in that category.

Obviously, staying the way it is would not be the answer, but you gotta remember that in order to get something, you'd have to give up something... and the Astros farm system is depleted. That would mean that any trade would probably involve one of our "young" players. Besides, it's a little irritating to watch everyone complain every time someone else trades for a player. Seriously... the Astros can't and definitely won't be at the center of every trade made. Not only will that make the Astros seem more like a fantasy baseball team, but you have to put in the fact that the more trades you make, the more team chemistry you'll lose. Everyone will be on their toes and no one would care if they win games because they would not know where they'll end up at the end of the season. Besides, it's also a little immature to get heads over heels upset over someone else making a trade. It's going to happen!

4. Buck Turgidson

...ignoring the fact that Soriano has stated that he'll test the free agent market after next season. And that he refuses to play the OF (and why should he? His numbers are great for a 2B, and he can make a ton more $ there than if he were merely a very good LF).

I also don't see any way that the Stros trade Backe in the middle of the season. Offseason, sure you can explore the possibility, then you have time to arrange a replacement. Do you want Rodriguez and Duckworth/Astacio/Nieve to start 30 games in a playoff drive?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good point...i forgot that they're about to lose Rogers for 4 or so starts.

6. NJRocket

Well, W-Rod is already going to start 1/2 those playoff-drive games.....so the question is, Would we be better of down the stretch with Burke and Backe or Soriano and either Zeke or Nieve?

Regardless, I wouldnt want to do it if Soriano wasn't locked up so its probably a moot point if he said he is testing FA after nextseason.

7. kevwun

kevwun Member

Zeke has just about proven he's not going to help this year. If the Astros call someone up again, my money is on Nieve.

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I hear you. The prudent thing to do is not to rent a player who's an impending FA that's planning to test the market.

But, let me play Devil's Advocate for a second.

Usually, the best players available are the superstars that are going to test the market when their contract runs out at the end of the year. That's why they're available -- because teams don't want to lose them for nothing (see Beltran, Carlos and Unit, The Big).

1998 was a unique scenario. We pretty much knew we were in the playoffs, so we were looking for that stud pitcher to take us deep into the playoffs. I do that deal every day knowing that we didn't re-sign the Unit and Garcia and Guillen are good players.

Last offseason sucked since we didn't get Beltran, but do we really miss John Buck right now? We seem to have recovered fairly well from merely "renting" Beltran, and I wouldn't trade that October run for anything.

We're not a lock to make the postseason this year like in 1998, so renting a player is a huge gamble that would crap out if don't make the playoffs. But if we make the right trade and it sends us into the postseason with a healthy Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, and Lidge -- I think I'd be OK with renting a player. Look, we may not have much longer with Clemens and Pettitte on this team ...

I'm not saying Soriano is the answer (he's got a ton of baggage, and we really need an OF), but I am saying that I wouldn't be 100% opposed to trading for a FA who we can't re-sign.

We did it 1998 and 2004, and the franchise recovered just fine.

9. NJRocket

good point wrath

Not to mention, isnt soriano locked up for this year AND next...whereas it wuld be more than a 3 month rental?

10. Major

Major Member

If we can get Soriano for prospects (or Burke or Lane), I do it. However, I just don't think we can afford to give up Backe at this point... Not that he's particularly great, but if we make a run this season, it's going to be on the backs of great pitching with sporadic offense. I don't think we can survive having two rookie pitchers out there every 5 days, and I don't think Soriano will make *that* much of a difference to suddenly make us a really good offense that can carry scrub pitching. We're going to get to the post-season by not having many 2-game losing streaks - constantly winning 2 out of 3, 3 out of 4, etc. I don't think you can do that with Wandy + some minor leaguer pitching 40% of the games.

These next 10 games will tell us a lot - all on the road (Braves have 10 on the road too), 3 @ STL, 4 @ WASH. The decision may get made for us during this period depending on how both us and the Braves do.

11. wrath_of_khan

I agree with everything in this post!

Like I said, I was just playing Devil's Advocate and I'm not convinced Soriano's the answer. Who are the other FA bats out there that might be on the block?

Also, I don't think I make any major deals until the end of the month. We could be 10 games out of the WC by then. (Or tied for the lead.)

But I agree we need Backe. We can't make this run with two rookie starters ...

I just can't even believe we're having this conversation after that awful start. How can you not love the Stros? :D

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why don't we talk with the Marlins. How about Backe, Burke, Astacio, Lane for Encarnacion and Burnett?

Would either side do that?

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Look, we currently have the greatest pitcher in the post WWII era pitching his greatest season ever, and Andy Pettite with his second lowest career ERA to this point. Future be damned, they have to get a bat and atleast give themselves a chance. You can't waste pitching like this.

14. NJRocket

Supposedly they are really shopping Burnett....I havent followed him much this yr but I have to guess that at worst, he is equal with Backe.

Just not sure if Encarnacion and Palmiero are that much better than Lane and Burke

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Burnett's 5-3 with a 3.33 ERA. He's only 28, but did have Tommy John surgery already. Enarnacion's stats, at first glance, look to be pretty good. Higher avg. and obp, I think.

You're probably right though...is it that much better?

16. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

THANK YOU! I hope the Astros are listening!

17. wrath_of_khan

That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you said it more succinctly and more passionately!

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's what richard justice said...

before he changed his mind...

but i'm sure he'd agree with you again.

19. Major

Major Member

Well, Preston Wilson hit a HR in his first at bat with his new team - not a bad way to get on your fans' good side!

He still sucks, though.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup, he does. What's even better is that Milwaukee just came from behind to finish off that game, moving us within 6 in the loss column of Washington. I think they're going to be the primary threat for the wild card.