1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Trade? Don't be ridiculous

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 13, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

betcha moises wouldn't wanna leave daddy.

2. Major

Major Member

I dunno - Bagwell and Biggio are two of his best friends in the world (granted, Bagwell is only sorta on this team). And he does want a chance at the WS, and didn't want to leave the first time around.

We need a LFer, ideally, so this could be a perfect option. I don't know that we'd pursue him since we've talked about no "rental" players, but he'd be a great fit, I think.

By the way - what's the latest on Bagwell? At the time of his surgery, wasn't the prognosis that he could be back in early September if healthy?

3. MadMax

i agree..at this point it seems he would be a really nice fit.

not sure about bags.

4. Buck Turgidson

Craig Wilson
    Raul Ibanez (liked him since KC)
    Fatty Ward
    Moistness Alou
    Craig Monroe (was linked to the Stros earlier in the year)
    Aubrey Huff (Gomes would be my ideal choice of the TB of'ers, Baldelli's injury doesn't help)
    Dunn/Casey/Kearns
    Lyle Overbay (need to make room for Fielder)

Just thinking out loud...all fit the 1B/LF mold they're looking for. A lefty would be preferable to a RHB, all else being equal. It's an incredibly tight trade market right now though, will be interesting to see what happens.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Adam Dunn would be the best choice, both for this year and for the future.

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I'm not sold on Dunn anymore. I would pass on him.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

There are too damn many teams still in contention for the playoffs and the teams that are way out are sooooo bad they don't have much to offer. Even a few of the teams that are nominally out - a team like Milwaukee - have already sent the signal that they aren't going to dump players as the core of their team is still pretty young.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Definitely. But, you're probably going to have to give Astacio, Buchholz, Nieve and more to even have a chance (and that still likely isn't enough). I would do it in a heartbeat, but many in this forum wouldn't judging by the reaction of everyone a week or so ago. In other words, he'll cost you much, much more than anyone else on the list.

I'm more concerned about timing than anything else. While not many teams are out of contention, I'd love to make a deal in the next few days as opposed to waiting until the deadline. This 11-game road trip could take us out of contention if we aren't careful, and I'd love to get another bat for at least part of the trip. And out of the guys that we've discussed, the one that's most accessible before the deadline is probably Ibanez. Seattle's out of contention, he's too old for a rebuilding process and his salary is reasonable. He's also a lefty putting up very solid numbers (above an .800 OPS) in a major pitchers' park the last two years. He's the best choice, imo, of the guys who might be available now as opposed to waiting three more weeks.

9. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Preston Wilson just got traded from Colorodo to Washington. Another good offensive bat we could have had.

Hopefully Drayton noticed that an already good team, just did something to get even better. Or maybe Drayton is confused and thinks it was a waste of money.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

.224/.280/.411 away from Coors.

and also - 2005 Salary: $12,500,000

11. MadMax

it's Preston Wilson

it is a waste of money..it's the very definition of a waste of money.

12. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Maybe so, but the Nats did get better, and that is the more important thing to the team & fans rather than how much he is getting paid/overpaid for half a year.

Also the Nats also signed Astros targer Mike Stanton. I'm actually glad we didn't sign Stanton, because this means we will be keeping Qualls & the Kevin Millar deal is either off or invoves some other players.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Too bad Drayton's never made a mid-season deal to help the ballclub. If only we were the Nationals...

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I am guessing Wilson wasn't even on the radar....although of the places he could probably hit some HR's outside of Coors', MMP would be one of them.

Obviously Byrnes is off the block now too so unless some other guys are being dangled that no one knows about (which is entirely possible), one has to think that Dunn is one of the, if not the main, priority right now as far as adding a bat.

I don't see a guy like Millar helping us so much....i think what helps him is that he is an extra bat in an already powerful lineup...I dont see him as a main piece of the puzzle down here.

With so many teams still alive, I could see us waiting until July 31 to swing a deal...although, if we have a bad road trip (i don't think we will...but we are playing 2 good teams), I could see Purpura rush to do something.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If we would be able to sign him to an extension, I would love to swing a deal with Texas and get Soriano. If Rogers is going to miss about a month, they are going to need pitching...I wonder if Backe and Burke still gets Soriano.

16. Major

Major Member

Preston Wilson is no better than any of their current outfielders (Guillen, Church, Wilkerson, and Byrd). If he takes playing time from them, he's likely not going to help that team much. How exactly does adding a guy with a bad knee that bats 0.220 outside of coors with little power help your team?

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, check your UT address. I've got an insurance question.

Gracias.

18. MadMax

exactly. this is a nothing deal. preston wilson hasn't been productive in quite some time.

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Great call. If I were Purpura, I'd resurrect those talks STAT.

I guess that would move Bidge back to LF, though?

20. MadMax

can't imagine the Rangers would bite on that now.