1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Trade? Don't be ridiculous

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3264013

Only deal Clemens wants Astros to make is for another bat
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

DETROIT - Asked yet again whether he would accept a trade this year, Roger Clemens politely changed the focus after assuring the media he isn't interested in leaving his hometown Astros.

A trade "is the furthest thing from my mind right now," Clemens said two hours before the 76th Midsummer Classic on Tuesday night at Comerica Park. "We've put ourselves back in contention for this wild card. And that's a good thing."

The Astros, who moved a game over .500 Sunday, are one of the hottest teams in baseball with a 23-8 record since losing to the Mets on June 7. They are clearly in the wild-card race, giving Clemens hope Astros owner Drayton McLane will be a buyer not a seller at the July 31 trading deadline.

"If there's anything, the questions I would rather ask or have posed to our owner is that now we're back in that situation where we may be able to get (someone) if there is a bat or two to be had," Clemens said. "Maybe we can go to that again.

"Maybe we've convinced them, 'Okay, here we are.' If we can come out of the break and play well out of the break, have that same thought, and if there's a bat available, maybe put us back in the situation when we went out and got Carlos (Beltran last year)."

Reached by phone Tuesday evening, Astros general manager Tim Purpura was adamant that McLane shares Clemens' opinion.

"Without a doubt we've been working on that for a number of weeks," Purpura said. "When it comes to Drayton, one of the first things he talks to me every day about is, 'Is there any offense to be had?' Roger's thinking is much like Drayton's.

"We'd like to be able to do something. Obviously you have to give something to get something."

First baseman and offseason Beaumont resident Kevin Millar of Boston is one name that has been mentioned as someone the Astros could acquire.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Please stop talking about Millar.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Please start talking about Kent.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No sh*t...If we had his consistent bat, we'd be alright...not sure who's out there for what price...Another bat and berkman going Ape sh*t would be nice...

5. Truth

Truth Member

*Mysterious Music Hits*

Dunn Da Dunn Dunn Dunnnnnnnnn.

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Hopefully something will be Dunn.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Dunn would be nice at a reasonable level.

This past Spring Training, we were at a Twins vs Reds game. Adam was up to bat, 0-1 count, pitcher throws a breaking ball and Adam takes a goofy swing for strike 2. The stadium was dead quiet and some guy on the other side of the stadium yells out in a little league, condescending voice - KEEP...........YOUR EYE.........ON THE BALLLLL.... The whole stadium busted out laughing. Adam struck out at that at bat.

8. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Giving up anything for Millar would be stupid

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Chad Harville?

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Gammons wrote that we turned down a deal from Boston which was Millar for Qualls....and apparently we turned down a Burke for Byrnes as well.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how would you feel about burke for byrnes??

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if u asked me at the end of April...i would have said its a no brainer....but now...while its an improvement, i dont think its a move that clearly puts us over the top...id have to pass on it given Burke's revival

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't believe i'm gonna say this, but i agree. i'm with you...i would have done this in a heartbeat a while ago...and i've been pretty critical of burke. but i don't think i'd do it now.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I totally agree with Clemens. Something needs to be Dunn.

EDIT: Crap. Joke used already.

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Yes, what's Dunn is Dunn.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Get-R-Dunn

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I say no to Dunn b/c it looks like he'll cost too much. Millar seems more attainable for cheap (less than Qualls for sure)..

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Too bad his hammy is hurting him, but I would love to have his bat back. did you see his interview when asked about how he felt when Ensberg made the team? it went something like this: In a jokingly manner Kent said "He sucks!" to the camera man. He had a huge smile on his face, and then said no really. He just kicked my teams butt this past weekend, He deserves to be here."

Anyways, I bet he would be happy with a return to this club. Fox would not stop mentioning how much Kent was smiling during the Saturday game in Houston. Just wondering if there is anyway to swing this deal from LA.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I like this team. Add a reliever.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Millar's put up some craptastic numbers this season, I don't know why we'd want him. Imo if we don't get Dunn, bring back Alou. Surely the price will be somewhat reduced due to his age, his deal only runs through next year so we wouldn't be absorbing a bad contract, and he's still a very productive bat.