1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Texans Hold First Organized Team Activities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 17, 2006.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, I agree. Pendry was aweful.

I'm so excited about this season. I can't wait to see this team play, I remember how good we looked in the first half in that Phoenix game.

I feel that Carr will have a big season.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've been a CF lurker since the late 90s, a member since early 2003 and changed my name at the end of April this year. (Note my signature).

On Capers: I just never fell in love with him like everyone else did. Seems to be a very decent guy but when he hired Fangio as the DC, alarms bells went off because of Fangio's complete failure with the Colts as DC. He was just as bad there as with the Texans. I was very upset at him and glad to see him fired; then he's shoved done my throat again here. I'm a huge Colts/Pacers fan.

I might go back to Apostolic3 since everyone thinks I'm a rookie now.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I agree, the hiring of Fangio REALLY bothered me as well. The Colts defense was TERRRIBLE and he was the architect. I thought the hiring of Palmer was decent as I thought some of Cleveland's troubles were due to injuries, and Palmer oversaw some pretty good offenses in JAX and NE. Fangio was a stupid hire. I used to like Capers, but towards the end he really had me scratching me head. If you don't want Palmer as OC, why not fire him in the offseason so the team could spend more time with Pendry? If you dont' want Palmer - why Pendry? I think Capers was overly loyal to his buddies - and this is ultimately what led to his downfall. I do think, and history shows, that Capers can be an excellent DC, and I never understood why he didn't do more with the D here. According to GW, who played under Capers in JAX, the defense we ran here was not DCs - it was Fangio's. Oh well, I am hoping this staff will prove to be much more competent.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wasn't too upset with the Fangio hiring. I kind of figured that no matter who the DC was, Dom would be handling the defense. His D's in Pittsburg and Carolina were all very good, so I was OK with that.

The problem was that, in order for the 3-4 to work, you have to have a pass rushing OLB. After 4 years, we weren't able to find one. We thought we did in Peek and Babin, but they were both playing out of position and just couldn't make the transition from DE to LB.

That was my main problem with Capers. He tried to adapt his players to the sytem instead of adapting the system to his players. Ask any D-lineman if they like playing in the 3-4 and most of them will say they hate it. All they do is open up gaps for the LB's to penetrate. Well, we didn't have any LB's that could penetrate and that's where the whole system fell apart.

I hated the 3-4. I personally think it's flawed. I know it works with other teams, but that's just my opinion. You draft a pass rushing DE out of college, then you take him out of his comfort zone by turning him into a LB. Now he has to cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield, something he's never done before. I just don't agree with that way of thinking.

Every interveiw I've heard with the new Texans coaches, they've talked about playing to the players strengths. I don't think Dom and company ever did that.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I understand now. All valid points. I've never been a big 3-4 fan, because you have to have the right players and the coaching must be precise. The only thing that I have been pleased consistently has been with our special teams.

I was never a big Dom fan. He just seems a bit Pardee-ish on the sidelines. The players just didn't seem to respond to him. I think players respected Dom as a person more than a coach.

7. Buck Turgidson

Yep, when 5 of the last 6 Super Bowl champions are doing something, it's pretty safe to assume it's flawed. ;)