1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Texans expected to select defensive player in first round

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2415443

INDIANAPOLIS -- After using No. 1 draft choices on quarterback David Carr and receiver Andre Johnson, the Texans are expected to select a defensive player with this year's first-round pick.

The Texans have the 10th selection in the first round of the April 24-25 draft. Although they are in the process of evaluating prospects, they are like other teams with defensive needs in that they would love to add players like Miami free safety Sean Taylor and Oklahoma defensive tackle Tommie Harris.

Harris (6-2 1/4, 296) is a junior who grew up in Killeen but resides in Houston in the offseason.

"I'd like to play for the Texans," Harris said at the NFL scouting combine. "They're a team on the rise. I wouldn't mind playing in a 3-4. But I would mind going 10th. They can always trade up."

If Harris runs well, he probably won't be available when it is the Texans' turn to pick.

Taylor probably won't be there, either. He is so good he is rated ahead of the best cornerbacks, including Ohio State's Chris Gamble, the top-ranked player at his position.

Taylor (6-2 1/2, 230) is a junior who can play free or strong safety. When final grades are placed on defensive players, he should be the highest-rated prospect.

"I think I'm the best player in the draft, and I wouldn't mind playing for any of the 32 teams," Taylor said Sunday. "I'd like to be the No. 1 pick; I don't settle for second. If I'm not, that's just the hand I'm dealt. I'm fine with it because that's not my choice.

"I'm going to try to make the best impression I can on every team."

General manager Charley Casserly will make the final decision for the Texans. Like other personnel experts, he likes Taylor and Harris.

"Taylor's an outstanding player, a game-changer," Casserly said. "He's a big, physical guy who can cover, hit, blitz and can play strong or free safety.

"Harris is also an outstanding player. He's got great quickness and a very high motor. He's a disruptive player. I think that he's undersized in some people's minds, but I don't think that'll affect his draft status because he's like a Warren Sapp in that he can get on the move and be disruptive."

Because there usually is a run on defensive players early in the draft, Taylor and Harris might be gone when the Texans pick. Because they have to use their premium picks on defense, they might trade down in the first round. If that happens, they might target Gamble or an outside linebacker like Miami's D.J. Williams, who is the best prospect at his position.

If Casserly is convinced Taylor or Harris or another player is so good the Texans must have him, they might try to trade up.

"I think I'm a combination of both (Roy Williams and Ed Reed)," Taylor said about the Pro Bowl safeties from Dallas and Baltimore. "I can run, hit and cover. I can play both safety positions."

Taylor intercepted 11 passes last season. He isn't satisfied with just intercepting a pass unless he makes a nice return.

"That's the rule," he said. "You can't be an average Joe. You've got to make a play out there. You don't get points for batting down balls. You get points for picking balls off and running the other way. Anybody can catch the ball and fall to the ground. They want to see what you do afterward.

"The team that drafts me is getting an all-around player with a lot of heart. I'm a leader, the quarterback of the defense. I'm instinctive. That helps me be around the ball."

Taylor scored 44 touchdowns during his senior year of high school but wanted to play defense at Miami.

"I think it's more of a challenge," he said. "Anybody can play offense and get 25 or 30 carries, and when you do, you're bound to break one. It's hard to play defensive back and be consistent and get interceptions and make tackles.

"You have 10 other guys trying to get to the ball and make plays. A lot more pressure's put on the defense than the offense."

With a little luck, Taylor and Harris could have played together at Miami. Harris' cousin -- Philadelphia defensive end Jerome McDougle -- played for the Hurricanes before being drafted in the first round last year.

"I thought Miami was just a little too wild, just like Texas," Harris said about the Hurricanes and Longhorns. "I didn't think it would fit my personality. In Norman, everything felt right when I was there, and it turned out to be a great decision."

Stockar McDougle, Harris' other cousin, plays offensive tackle for Detroit. He also was a No. 1 pick.

"Those are my brothers," said Harris, who won the Lombardi Award. "That's how close we are. They took me under their wings, and I'm just trying to follow after them.

"I've been hearing about this (evaluation process) since I was in high school and went to Stockar's the day he got drafted. There's no pressure on me. It's just fun to keep it in the family and be in the same category as those guys."

In a three-man front, Harris might be more suited for nose tackle because he is so quick he can beat the center and require double-team blocks. He could play tackle in a four-man front.

"I'm whatever you want me to be," he said. "I played nose my freshman year and three-technique and nose my sophomore year and three-technique and nose and some end and tight end my junior year. I'll play wherever they want.

"Just know this: I'll be full throttle on every play."

2. tozai

tozai Member

Please, please, please no tommifer.

Sean Taylor hopefully...

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would also like to see Tractor Taylor on defense plowing over opposing recivers.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

I really hope Casserly has got something up his sleeve. I'd love for them to get Taylor.

5. surrender

surrender Member

Taylor or Wilfork, please. Not the hugely overrated Harris.

6. Summer Song Giver

I'll go the other way and say I'd love to have Harris on the Texans next year, I'd be estatic with Taylor also but I don't think he'll be around when we pick anyway and Harris IMO will. I see these two guys as potential superstars especially if Harris goes to a team where he can play end like he could here.

Wilfork on the other hand is a prototype NT in the 3-4 defense and that could be huge in that he will collapse the pocket and swallow offensive lineman and free up our linebackers to make the plays.

Actually I'd be thrilled with any of these players along with a few others depending on how things shake out.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Is it true that the Texans are going after Jevon Kearse? I heard them talking about it on 610 but I caught it at the end. It would be nice to have him and maybe Wilfork on that front line.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Kearse does not exactly fit the mold of a down lineman in the Texans 34 scheme. Kearse does not have the size to be able to slide over and take on the opposing guard as would be required for the end position in the 34. I'm sure it was fantasy talk, and not even good fantasy talk at that.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capers has said that Kearse would make an ideal outside LB in the 3-4. The guy has speed, can rush, pursue and as a 3-4 LB he wouldn't have to take the every down pounding a typical DE has to take (helping reduce his exposure to injury).

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Given his style, size, athleticism and skills, it makes sense. The question is does he have that "sixth sense" that a player like Ray Lewis has to play linebacker?

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I think Kearse can make it as an OLB. Ray Lewis plays MLB and has to be the QB of the LB corps...that killer instinct is needed to fire up his team. I think Kearse would be fine rushing the QB from the outside backer spot.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Kearse could do it. He's got a motor and that's what Ray Lewis and Brian ulracher have. But I hope he remains a Titan. I think Greg Williams signed in Washington so look for the Skins to be a strong player for Jevon if they want to spend.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It's not as easy as having speed. Sure, that is one component, but Kearse would have to learn to read the offense and comming from an every down lineman the transition from the three point stance to backpeddling would not be easy. I'm sure at one point in time Capers would have loved to have Kearse play the strongside but at this point in time I don't know how realistic that is.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't see these guys being there, but you never know...It'll all depend on who the top five teams choose...I'm not sold on San Diego choosing a quarterback, but the Raiders will...

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, Capers thinks it is realistic. Capers addressed this point on 610AM radio in October. Kearse was an OLB in college who was converted to an NFL DE. He has experience playing outside of a 3 point stance. So the non-rushing duties he would get in the 34 won't be much of a problem. He knows how to play the run pursuit game. Besides, Capers 3-4 zone blitz scheme is somewhat similar to a 4-3 zone blitz scheme. The Titans have used some zone blitz schemes, dropping Kearse into coverage where his speed, agility and freakishly long wing span help him clog passing lanes. So coming into Capers 3-4 won't be totally foreign to Kearse.

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I was not aware that Kearse played strongside at Florida. The 34 and the 43 zone blitz where the end drops into pass coverage and the inside or the weakside backer blitzes is virtually the same. If Kearse played on the line in the 34 it converts it to the 43. From there, if he drops into coverage it is a 34 man or zone. There is a number of variations but I think you get the point. I do know that Kearse is used to drop back into some coverage situations in Tennessee but I did not know that he was familiar with the linebacker position from college. Kearse is expesive and has been hampered by injurys over the past two seasons but if he is familiar with the position that would be a tremendous addition. My concerns were not with his athleticism but were more directed at his overall knowledge of the position. Now knowing he has played backer prior to converting to end, he would make a nice free agent pick-up.

17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I get your point... we all do, I think. But really, would you be UNhappy with getting Kearse? Dude IS THE FREAK! I think it would be a wonderful problem for capers to have (trying to put this guy somewhere). We were probably the WORST team in football at getting to the quarterback... KEARSE WRECKS!

18. Got Em

Got Em Member

Can somebody please tell me why Tommy Harris is so overrated??? I thought this guy was pretty good. What's his 40 time, weight, and height? Also, who is this Udeche (sp?) guy I keep hearing about? I think he moved from early 2nd round to all the way up to the top 10.

19. tozai

tozai Member

You probably think the guy is pretty good because the media has been on his jock from day one. He's become a legend, but if you look at his stats and watched his games he wasn't much of a factor regardless of the triple and quadruple teams you hear of.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He didn't have a lot of sacks because he was tripled team. There is no way you can block this dude one on one. He is worth a top ten pick but if Sean Taylor or Mike Williams is there I would have to take them over Harris.