1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Sources - Casserly to stay, Capers to exit

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sabirk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Have you guys read this crap yet?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3559136.html

Sources: Casserly to return as Texans GM

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

SAN FRANCISCO – Coach Dom Capers’ firing has been a foregone conclusion for weeks, but sources close to owner Bob McNair said today that general manager Charley Casserly will return to the Texans and remain in charge of the personnel department. Capers’ firing will be made official Monday morning and announced at an afternoon news conference at Reliant Stadium.

Two sources said that McNair also will announce that Casserly will return, putting to rest speculation around the country that he might be fired or might ask to buy out the last year of his contract.

Keeping Casserly in the same capacity means he’ll also figure prominently in the search for Capers’ replacement, as he did when Capers was hired as the first coach of Houston's expansion team.

When asked before Sunday’s game against the 49ers at Monster Park if Casserly definitely will return, McNair declined to comment. He said he had meetings scheduled with Capers and Casserly on Monday and that it wouldn’t be appropriate to comment until after he met with them.

However, the sources close to McNair said today that the owner had already met with Casserly and informed the general manager that he wanted him to return and that Casserly had agreed. Casserly also declined comment.

When McNair hired former NFL coach Dan Reeves as a consultant to evaluate talent that had been acquired by Casserly, there was speculation within the organization that the general manager wouldn’t want to stay after the season.

McNair and Reeves had several meetings last week. Reeves has been watching tape of Texans’ games and telling McNair what he thinks about the players.

Reeves had been out of football for two years until McNair called to ask for his help. When Reeves was introduced, he said he would consider a return to coaching if the right situation came along. McNair has said time and again that Reeves is a friend and consultant he trusts to give him an honest opinion about the Texans’ talent.

Obviously, Reeves said enough good things about the talent to convince McNair that Casserly wasn’t the problem.

Once it becomes official Monday that Casserly will return and that Capers is gone, the Texans have to turn their attention to the coaching search.

The Texans are expected to interview, among others, Washington assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams, Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and possibly New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

The Texans also are expected to interview one or two college head coaches with NFL experience.

2. today

today Contributing Member

I won't be happy if we keep Casserly and hire Reeves as our coach, that would be terrible.

3. Remix

Remix Member

Wait to kill the mood sabirk. Maybe we ned to start a petition or something to get Casserly fired.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

damn, Casserly.... :(

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I really don't see any justification for bringing back Casserly when you have almost nothing to show for your last few 2nd and 3rd rounders.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

That sucks

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Great, if Casserly stays that means we trade the #1 pick for a future 3rd rounder and a one armed player with "great upside potential".

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

If Casserly stays, McNair is an idiot.

9. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Agreed.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think McNair is an idiot but it definitely looks like he's got a lot to learn about the football side of being an owner.

11. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Casserly sucks at evaluating talent...not thrilled!!!!

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Damn, WTF is Charley staying?

13. kevwun

kevwun Member

I really don't understand this. Casserly's personnel moves have been horrible. Looks like he's got Bob wrapped around his finger.

14. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

15. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

OMG, WTF? Casserly is probably more to blame for the teams failure than Capers. Casserly screwed us over last offseason by letting go of the 3 best D players on the team and then not replacing them. He has ignored the o-line for the last 4 years. His draft moves have not been impressive at all, especially the babin move. The texans are looking at a very important draft, We cant afford to have casserly calling the shots.

Well goodbye to next season. I was hoping for an exciting offseason and possibly playoffs next season. Forget that. Now i really have no reason to watch the texans.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

half of my worse fear

Sincerely TEXAN FAN

Rocket River

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If anything, it should be other way around. Both guys should be canned in my opinion, I think Casserly has done an absolute terrible job since he's been here.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So it's Casserly's decision on whether to draft Bush. That makes me feel better!

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Atleast Reggie is a no brainer.

Casserly will be fired eventually. Lets just be thankful that we have the #1 pick and that there is no way that he can mess that up.

I hope :cool:

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Will McNair or Casserly <B>really</b> make the pick?