1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron - Rockets experience delay

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Man, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2642809

Perhaps Clutch the Bear should waddle back to the Toyota Center balcony where he waited for the Rockets to finally secure a playoff spot.

The Rockets' next milestone moment -- the proposed acquisition of NBA scoring champion Tracy McGrady -- was on hold Tuesday and teetering from at least as perilous a perch while the Orlando Magic simultaneously seemed to be trying to make the deal happen and to secure a better one.

There were signs the trade sending Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato to the Magic for McGrady, Juwan Howard, Reece Gaines and Tyronn Lue still could get done.

With Francis' stated opposition to the move the most obvious roadblock to completing the deal, Magic officials spent much of Tuesday afternoon and evening talking with his representatives, apparently hoping to win Francis' approval or at least indicating that they were still interested in acquiring him.

But league sources said Magic general manager John Weisbrod was flooded with proposals Tuesday -- with the Suns especially aggressive in improving their offer -- and that Orlando considers the bidding open again.

Pacers president Larry Bird said he believed Indiana had offered a better package of players than the Rockets had. League sources said the Pacers offered forwards Ron Artest and Jonathan Bender and guard Fred Jones.

"My personal opinion is they might have got a better deal from us," Bird said. "Take nothing away from the guys that have been traded. I like our guys. I know our guys are talented and hard workers, but when you go after Tracy McGrady, you have to give up something, and the price was just too high for us.

"No question, when you have a player like Tracy McGrady out there, you try to pursue it and see what it was going to take to try to get involved in it. Obviously, they didn't like the players we put out there, and really, we didn't get down to details. We just asked them what they would like, and they threw some names out there, and the price was really too high for us.

"We hear that Tracy's probably going to Houston, but you never know -- something might happen. If he's out there, we're going to go after him."

Neither Weisbrod nor Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson was available for comment. But the previous hurdle to completing a deal, Tuesday's expansion draft, was cleared when Gaines was not selected by the Charlotte Bobcats, making him available for the Magic to deal.

But with no announcement from the Rockets or Orlando after the expansion draft, the Magic were either hoping to improve their take in the trade or Francis' impression of them.

Francis, who has five years and $75 million remaining on his contract, doesn't wield the same threat to opt out of his deal that McGrady does. But the Magic could be hesitant to trade one player who doesn't want to play in Orlando for another player who doesn't want to play in Orlando.

Francis' representatives -- Jeff Fried, Nate Peake and Rock Newman -- spent much of the day on the phone with Magic officials, including Weisbrod, and the conversations seemed to thaw some of Francis' original reluctance to make the move.

"If Houston is set on moving Steve, which is not Steve's preference, you have to deal with reality," Fried said. "There is nothing against the Orlando Magic. They are a fine organization. But they are also in a rebuilding stage. That's why it's important to have good communication.

"We're trying to deal with circumstances and be proactive. There is nothing but respect for the Orlando Magic. On Steve's behalf, it's appropriate for us to make sure it's the best fit for him and the organization."

Even if the deal comes together, the Rockets would have work to do.

The next step, should the deal go down, would likely be to lock up McGrady with a contract extension or at least get him to drop his option to terminate his deal after next season. McGrady has said that if he were to be traded, the Rockets are his first choice, indicating he would be amenable to a long-term deal.

Howard already has a long-term deal, with five more years remaining. And he could be the power forward the Rockets have sought, possessing more of a shooting touch than Cato, last season's starter, and more determination to rebound than backup Maurice Taylor.

With Francis no longer running the Rockets' offense, they will likely look for another point guard in free agency. Lue is the sort of on-the-ball defender Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy favors and has been a solid complement to stars (Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles and Michael Jordan in Washington). But he could opt out of his contract, worth $1.65 million next season.

Lue's agent, Andy Miller, said he had not spoken in detail about whether Lue would opt out if traded to Houston because the deal was not complete.

Miller, who also represents Gaines, said Gaines, the 15th player taken in last year's draft, would be thrilled with a chance to start over with the Rockets after seeing little meaningful playing time as a rookie. The Rockets did not have a rookie on last season's team and do not pick until the 55th slot in this week's draft.

"For him, it's a great opportunity," Miller said. "He's a young player that plays the one and two. He's very excited."

Free-agent point guards also could be excited about a chance to succeed Francis. Troy Hudson played with McGrady in Orlando and was used more as a passing point guard last season in Minnesota.

"Sure, he would be interested," said Hudson's agent, Bill Neff. "A lot depends on what happens with the trade, obviously. But Troy is a big fan of Jeff Van Gundy."

With Gary Payton returning to the Lakers, guard Derek Fisher is expected to opt out of his contract this week and would also seem a good fit.

"The Rockets are a great organization, and Van Gundy is a terrific coach," said Fisher's agent, Mark Bartlestein.

With Cato gone, the Rockets will also likely need another backup center. Brian Skinner, the former Baylor center who is a free agent coming off his best NBA season, is an athletic power forward/center who can play in the middle and would bring the physical style the Rockets have hoped to add.

But before any move is made, the Rockets will wait and hope the big move comes together.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So, it was Orlando freaked out of Francis and now they are getting deals from all over.

First off, I freakin' HATE Jerry Colangelo. The guy is damn Satan. You KNOW he will do ANYTHING to keep McGrady away from Houston.

Second, if this deal falls through, Francis needs to get a beat down. Instead of overreacting and opening his big, fat mouth (along with his agents), he could have behind closed doors discussed the situation with the Rockets and Magic and see what happened.

I'm sure everyone would've understood his concerns and worked to address him. Now, he just looks like a loud mouth malcontent.

ARRRGHHHH!!! I'm going to bed.

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

I'm sure Suns management is furiously trying to convince Tracy's people that a multi-year deal with the Suns alongside Amare is in his best interest. I say that the Suns are as much of a rebuilding team as Orlando if Johnson and Marion are traded.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If Francis' comments screwed up this deal, he and his agents need to be publicly flogged.

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many times have the Suns retooled since the Chuck wagon left?

First it was Jason Kidd.

Then Jason Kidd and Antonio McDyess.

Then Jason Kidd and Tom Gugliotta.

Then Jason Kidd and Penny Hardaway.

Then Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion.

Then Stephon Marbury and Shawn Marion.

Then Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudamire, and Shawn Marion.

Then Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion.

This team has been building and rebuilding for 8 years now.
    It's called instability.
    It's a clear cut sign that T-Mac should not be seduced by the devil himself, Jerry C.
    I've wasted two days of my life now. I'm tired. I'm off to bed.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Rock Newman - wasn't he Riddick Bowe's manager? That explains everything!

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I had a feeling the Magic were going to do this no matter what Stevie had to say.

They know that the best offers are going to come in last minute. It wouldn't be smart to not even listen to those. Teams got nervous yesterday and its bringing out better offers.

Ex: Marion, JJ, and 7th is something the Suns weren't willing to do, not it seems to be the offer to beat.

I hope T-Mac straight comes out and says he wants Houston, period. I can't handle the suspense anymore.

8. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

lol dang your right lol bowe said rock cheated him out of money and everything

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Yeah Rock Newman was that turban wearing promoter for Riddick Bowe.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, a Scarface post :).

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not worried, if McGrady was talking, THEN I would be worried, but he isn't saying anything, and he holds all the power.

I still think it will happen, because Tracy wants it to.

DD

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I still believe that T-Mac will wind up in Houston. The question is, will Steve end up in Orlando?

I can already imagine Colangelo talking to....what's his name? Weisbrod?

"Look, I see this clown 4 times a year. You do not want Steve Francis on your team. Yeah, he can dunk and dipsy-doodle, but does that translate into wins?"

Remember, Co-f***ing-angelo was one of the prime architects in getting zone defenses and such instituted, to neutralize the better one-on-one players (and the iso game), i.e., he disliked the Steve Francises of the league and got Stern to change things to his liking. The guy holds too much sway.