1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]Promoter Arum calls Pacquiao-Mayweather dead

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMadness, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Prince

Prince Member

we're talking about few hours. do you want to get tested 2 hours before the fight? That's why I think the idea of Pacquiao's team to be tested right after the fight makes a lot of sense.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I don't know jack about testing and how fast or slow things can get out of your system, but...if Manny is using something, won't it show up in the test RIGHT after the fight?

Let's say for arguments sake that they make something that disappears in 1 hr.

How does he know if he'll have a long or short fight? If it ends early and he's back there giving blood, if he's on something, BAM it's on the test. Would a boxer take that chance? Seems like a risky situation. Better to dodge testing completely, which he hasn't done. He's consented to the post-fight test among other tests.

It seems like giving urine and blood immediately following the bout should be sufficient.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It is but that sneaky clever Mayweather or the people he has working for him are trying to spin it a different way.

with all the PED athletes lately he's trying to make it look like Manny is the bad guy so when he DOES lose people will say it's because Manny is juiced.

4. what

what Member

I think that the utube video of manny taking about having to give blood 24 hours speaks volumes.

First of all, when they tested that blood he was clean. This proves that he was clean 24 hours before a major fight. Secondly, Manny felt weak in that fight and attributed that weakness to the blood being drawn.

I think both points are significant. Manny hasn't been ducking the needle. He gave it when it was required by the boxing commission, but at the same time he isn't thrilled about getting blood tested right before a fight. And he damn well isn't going to do it because Mayweather wants him to do it.

It is also funny to me that Mayweather talks about fair play and yet he takes any unscrupulous advantages he is allowed to. Coming in over weight for the marquez fight being 1 example. Ducking one fighter for 1 reason and then ducking another for the opposite reason he gave to make sure he fights the fight he wants to fight.

5. bkg

bkg Member

in every fight mayweather has been in, he haw attempted to intimidate and psyche out his opponent, and this is just one more attempt. he will lose, no doubt, and he is trying to get a psychological advantage, or an out so he doesnt have to fight.

and as for pac being scared to fight or using drugs, get real. mayweather has NEVER been known to be a power hitter, and would most likely be on his bicycle playing "defensive" against a brawler like pac-man. manny could possibly lose on points, but is too fast for that.

also, i don'y think yall understand whats up for non-american fighters. he practically is the king of the phillipines, has more money than he can spend there, and is all about honor and machismo. he doesn't NEED this fight, and if he was to bow down to mayweathers requests, he loses in the eyes of his people. money is NOT everything.

6. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

True that. Money ain't ***** when you want to be the best.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Mayweather Jr 40 Wins, 0 Losses, 25 KOs

Maybe he should retire on Top. He tried to fight Pacman, but ohh well. ;)

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Way to pad those stats by picking your opponents. ;)

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Masking agents and cycling make non-random testing worthless

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Zero Losses.. Zero :grin:

[​IMG]

#110 MiddleMan, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I'd have the same record if I were fighting elementary students. :)

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, it seems that both Manny and Pac need to see other people before realizing they need each other and get back together.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

and now the inevitable blame game ensues

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4806180

A day after their fight was declared dead, Floyd Mayweather Jr. said Thursday night that he still wants to fight Manny Pacquiao.

Their tentative March 13 megafight -- which many believe will be the most lucrative fight in boxing history if it happens -- was called off Wednesday night by Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, after mediation failed to resolve their issues over drug testing protocol.

Arum blamed Mayweather for the fight falling apart, but Mayweather came out swinging on Thursday.

"Throughout this whole process I have remained patient but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them," Mayweather said in a statement.

"First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk ass."

The final issue in the negotiation was drug testing.

They agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather also insisted on random blood testing, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, requires only urine testing.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want blood testing but later relented and agreed to three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week, one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would be subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather, turned to a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who had successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy in 2007.

But after nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., and further attempts to come to a resolution on Wednesday failed, the fight was pronounced dead by the Pacquiao camp.

The mediation was largely about coming up with a suitable time frame in which to cut off the testing before the fight. Pacquiao moved off his hard-line stance of no testing inside 30 days from the fight by agreeing to 24 days during mediation.

"We agreed to move the drug testing to 24 days under the supervision of the Nevada commission and Mayweather still wouldn't budge," Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, told ESPN.com from the Philippines on Wednesday night after the fight was declared dead.

The Pacquiao camp blamed Mayweather for his unwillingness to move off his desire for random testing until the fight.

Mayweather disputed that on Thursday.

"Before the mediation, my team proposed a 14-day, no blood testing window leading up to the fight. But it was rejected," Mayweather said. "I am still proposing the 14-day window but he is still unwilling to agree to it, even though this is obviously a fair compromise on my part as I wanted the testing to be up until the fight and he wanted a 30 day cutoff. The truth is he just doesn't want to take the tests.

"In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever. I know the people will see through their smoke screens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight."

The drug testing became a major issue when Floyd Mayweather Sr., the father of the fighter, made several public remarks accusing Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs without a shred of proof. Mayweather Jr. later made similar remarks about him using PEDs, even though Pacquiao denies it and has never failed a drug test.

The accusations led Pacquiao to file a defamation lawsuit last week in Nevada U.S. District Court against Mayweather Jr., Mayweather Sr., Roger Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy officials Richard Schaefer and Oscar De La Hoya.

If the welterweight title bout is to be saved, and go forward on March 13, the camps likely have until Friday or Saturday to work things out and kick off the promotion as planned early next week in New York.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Conclusion:

Manny Pacquiao is on the juice and Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't think he can beat Manny Pacquiao.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How is manny getting more power as he moves up in weight?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tim Tebow tears.

17. what

what Member

If you can mask the steroid how is random testing any better than non-random. Wouldn't that make it all tests worthless

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

if it is random testing then you don't have time cycle off the stuff.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Masking agent must be taken prior to the test. If you don't know the test is coming you don't have time to take the masking agent.

20. what

what Member

why not take masking agents every time you take steroids