1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Koby Clemens to sign with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Indeed, Memorial is a baseball powerhouse. Even though they don't go to the big, big schools, a lot of their players go on to play baseball in college. A lot of them are really big students of the game and most are quite talented. My opinion wouldn't have anything to do with the fact I recently graduated from MHS. :)

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

pwn3d!!!!!!!!!11111111

;)

Keep it up guys, if only for my entertainment because I'm in need of a reason not to go back to work after my lunch break. :)

3. msn

msn Member

Are you too dim to understand that fewer African Americans are interested in baseball, thus the numbers are already skewed?

As with the gross majority of folks today who cry racist, your arguments here are both petty and without logic. Lots of charged language, and no common sense. Mindless drivel.

The sad thing is this: ridiculous bs like this, especially the gross amount of it, clouds out the very real and very serious issues that actually *do* still exist.

In addition, your implied comparison of what any draft hopeful goes through today, regardless of his race, to what Jackie Robinson went through is both stupid and borderline offensive. To belittle what he went through by mentioning it in the same breath with the cakewalk a lot of folks have today betrays either ignorance or willful bitterness.

4. msn

msn Member

...and knows the difference between truth and mindless drivel. Your posts in this thread fall solidly in the latter category.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

msn,

Chill out. He has an opinion and was stating it without being an ass. I dont entirely agree with it but I'm not going to be an ass.

You were being an ass.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Another Brother --

Perhaps you could do us the pleasure of explaining how your desires to have more blacks on the Astros differs from a hypothetical white or latino's desires to see more whites and latinos on the Rockets. Surely you can agree that the latter is a ridiculous desire. Why is the former not equally ridiculous to you?

Additionally, if a white person were to announce that they think their company should hire more whites, how would this make you feel? My guess is that you would be screaming racism at the top of your lungs.

7. Buck Turgidson

No kidding.

8. kevwun

kevwun Member

What I want to see the is "Astros are rascist" crowd explain why the Astros like Latinos, but don't like African-Americans.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Talk about a thread derail.

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

MSN and TJ

As DaD requested I will not comment on this again in this thread, it is disrespectful to the thread starter and obviously a sore spot within this forum.

I posted my e-mail addy (cop2comic@aol.com) to continue this discussion, you seem to ignore this option. This leads me to believe that your grandstanding is more important than considering another members PERSONAL perspective on an issue.

continue please...

11. msn

msn Member

This place has a brilliant, laid back atmosphere which I respect. I'm sorry that often I'm not so laid back. I'm so sick of people screaming "racist" when it's not there. I've *seen* racism. I've *seen* genocide-ravaged cities and hundreds of orphans on the streets. Here, we cry "racist" if someone else gets the job we want or if our favorite team drafts a Hispanic guy instead of an African-American guy. Where I've been, your children's school may get hit with a dozen grenades, or three trucks drive through your neighborhood at 2am with rocket launchers blowing holes in homes and killing dozens, based on your race. It makes all of our arguments over here seem petty. That's why when someone drafts Kobe Clemens as opposed to whatever other player is available--to play a GAME no less... I suppose I should just refrain from comment. I'm sorry for acting like an ass and disrupting a good thread and a great atmosphere.

12. Another Brother

And you say this never considering what I've seen...or experienced...wow.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dude, you're educated. Don't continue this argument... this is why I don't come to the D&D as often... becaus... uh??? what...??? This isn't the D&D??? Wow. :D

C'mon, dudes... quit before it gets moved. :(

14. msn

msn Member

I wasn't commenting on your experience. I was commenting on the claim that the drafting of Kobe Clemens is racially motivated. It's not. In the scope of the real life issues real victims (and for all I know, you may be one) of racism face, it's a petty thing to chirp about, IMO. The thing is, you know as little about my experience as I about yours. If you've seen truly horrible things, can you really compare a baseball draft to them?

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He never said it was racially motivated. He said if they made the pick for PR reasons, he'd have rather them draft an African-American.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I also graduated from MHS. Mustangs unite!

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Looks like AB's meltdown is pretty much completed. Back to the topic at hand:

Memorial has put a lot of players into Rice's program. At one point there were something like four Memorial alums on the same Rice team. Austin Davis, Josh Baker, Jeff Jorgensen and one other. Can't remember who the fourth was.

18. Mr. Brightside

Actually, Kobe is also a black name. Kobe is also a city in Japan.

We have underestimated this Caublansian.

19. Mr. Brightside

Lyndon Duplesssis (sic?)

I know Josh Baker personally, and he is a class act.

20. Another Brother

Actually I didn't, TJ escalated it to that.

Roger Clemens is one of my favorite players and I would frankly be embarrassed if he knew that I started some hot racial thread in a popular fan site, with his kid being the subject of the controversy. I wish Koby well, I really do, hell if Roger's wife could swing the bat and keep him here for a couple of years I'd be OK with that! I was wrong for assuming that the nature of my post would lend itself to light banter and creative responses, I've been here a long time and should know better. Let's agree to disagree, squash this dialogue and meet for a beer in spite of our differences.

Go Astros
    Go The Clemens Boys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.