1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: In McCree, Texans add safety net

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jeff from vandy, Sep 18, 2003.

1. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

Have not seen this posted yet...

In McCree, Texans add safety net
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Matt Stevens has been a prime target of criticism among talk-show callers, but if his starting job at free safety is being targeted, it's news to him.

Stevens does not believe his job is in jeopardy even after the Texans claimed free safety Marlon McCree off waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday. However, it's rare to get a player of McCree's caliber two weeks into the season, and he almost certainly will challenge for the starting job.

The Texans waived free safety Travares Tillman to make room on the roster for McCree, who spent the past two-plus seasons with Jacksonville and led the Jaguars with six interceptions in 2002. Tillman had been recovering from a broken wrist suffered Aug. 2 in a scrimmage against Dallas.

Asked what he read into the roster moves, Stevens said: "I guess they didn't want to wait for Travares to heal."

Stevens didn't view the acquisition of McCree as a reflection on the job he has done.

"I feel like, other than a couple of missed tackles, I've played fine," Stevens said. "I don't even have the most missed tackles on the team. I don't worry about what people say. I'm used to it from eight years of experience in the league. No one sits in those meeting rooms except the players and the coaches. Most of the people who are (criticizing) don't know what they're talking about. It's ludicrous."

Stevens, whom the Texans acquired from New England in the expansion draft, has started all 18 games at free safety during the Texans' brief existence. He was released during the offseason in a move that allowed the Texans to save $2 million on the salary cap but later re-signed. In the meantime, the Texans flirted with free agents Cory Hall, Damien Robinson and Keion Carpenter, each of whom signed with other teams.

"This was a situation where we saw a player on the waiver wire who we thought could improve our overall 53-man roster, so we added him to it," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said of acquiring McCree.

This is the final week the waiver claim order will be based on last year's records. The Texans were third behind Cincinnati and Detroit. But beginning next week, it will be based on records for the 2003 season.

Tillman and Stevens were the leading contenders for the starting job when training camp began, although Stevens' experience and knowledge of the system made him the front-runner. Tillman had hoped to be healthy enough to play by now, but the injury has taken longer than expected to heal.

McCree (5-11, 198 pounds) started 27 of 31 career games with the Jaguars, including all 16 in 2002, when he finished second in the AFC in interceptions and fifth in the NFL. His six interceptions tied the Jaguars' single-season record, and his 128 interception return yards in 2002 were the second-most in team history.

First-year Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio installed a new defensive system, and the team used a second-round pick on free safety Rashean Mathis, bumping McCree to a backup role. Waiving McCree was one of nine roster moves made Tuesday by the 0-2 Jaguars.

McCree, 26, lost his starting job to Mathis in training camp and was waived to make room for safety Deke Cooper, who played for Carolina when Del Rio was the Panthers' defensive coordinator. Jacksonville vice president of player personnel James Harris told the Florida Times-Union the Jaguars needed help on special teams, and that isn't considered one of McCree's strengths.

"My release came as a surprise," said McCree, who was traveling to Houston on Wednesday night. "The coaches were saying nothing but great things about me throughout training camp. New coaches want their own players, I guess. I'm really looking forward to coming to Houston. There's a lot of excitement surrounding the franchise, and it's a great place to play."

Although it's likely McCree will compete for the starting job at some point, the former seventh-round pick from Kentucky said he will gladly accept any role Texans coach Dom Capers gives him.

"I just want to be given the opportunity to compete," McCree said. "If my job is to be a starter, I'm more than happy with that. But if my job is to play special teams and be a backup, I'm fine with that, too."

McCree, who was converted from a college linebacker to a safety with the Jaguars, arrived in Jacksonville one year after Capers stepped down as the Jags' defensive coordinator to become the Texans' head coach. Still, McCree has heard enough about Capers to believe he's coming to a solid organization.

"I know he's a heck of coach and that he's had great defenses everywhere he's been," McCree said. "I'm excited about the opportunity to play for him."

It's uncertain how long it will take McCree to learn the Texans' scheme and make a significant contribution, but he's banking on sooner rather than later.

"I'll say a week," he said. "I pride myself on being able to pick things up quickly."

The Texans signed Tillman as a free agent in January. He started 10 games in two years with Buffalo.

Looks like Steven's days are numbered....

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I love this quote:

"I feel like, other than a couple of missed tackles, I've played fine," Stevens said. "I don't even have the most missed tackles on the team. I don't worry about what people say. I'm used to it from eight years of experience in the league. No one sits in those meeting rooms except the players and the coaches. Most of the people who are (criticizing) don't know what they're talking about. It's ludicrous."

He just sucks overall! I still remember that play against Ricky Williams, making that lazy ass tackle. :mad: He's a pathetic safety that needs to be replaced by McCree so we can have some quality play in the backfield.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My hatred for Stevens isn't as strong as most on the board, but I think he's just denying the obivous here - he is a liability, and his starting position is in jeopardy. Don;t understand why McCree got on Del Rio's bad list, but seems like he played pretty decent last year.

4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Gotta agree, I love this quote too.

And the fact that he knows how many tackles he's missed and that he isn't the one with the most tackles is hilarious. I'm pretty sure he still has the job because he knows the system and the fact that he competes hard in practice. Unfortunately it doesn't translate over to the football field. Stevens is lazy with his tackles, and usually gets burned on the plays he covers.

If there is one thing I can give him credit for, its that he has been in the league for eight seasons, and I still have yet to play in one.

However, I know a lazy-ass tackle when I see one. The only ludicrous thing is Stevens thinking he can take down a professional football player with an arm tackle.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

of course he doesn't have the MOST missed tackles...he's a freaking free safety!! he doesn't usually get as many opportunities. but the ones he's missed have been awful...and i'm betting the sideline TD in Miami where he could have pushed the guy out of bounds didn't even count as a missed tackle...

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I don't know about you guys, but I thought this was the best quote. Keep living in that dream world, Matt; you know, that little fantasy place where you can actually tackle.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think McCree will be starting next week against the Jags.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Matt Stevens : The Ultimate Optimist.

Sorry Matt, your job is about as secure as a South Compton Convience Store.

9. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Gee Matt it doesn't matter if you've missed the most tackles, it's HOW you've missed them that sucks. When someone like Seth Payne or Sharper or Wong misses a tackle it's usually within 5-7 yards of the line of scrimmage and there's someone there to back them up. Guess what Matt, when you miss a tackle there's usually NO ONE BEHIND YOU! YOU ARE THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE! YOU'RE CALLED A SAFETY FOR A REASON!

Ahem, excuse me. Lost control a little bit. Anyway, good pickup for the Texans and let's hope it spells the end of Mr. Stevens' starting days for the Houston Texans.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

His missed ackles are damning; but get a load of the "passes defended" stat... while I know the Texans' scheme is different than other teams that rely more on the FS for pass defense and that the Texans' CBs cover well, BUT... two PDs by the FS still tells me that Stevens is rarely in the right place on pass defense.

In fact, except for the "last man on the pile" tackle stat mongering, what *is* Stevens doing back there (granted, he made the last play vs MIA)?

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

I was watching 13 last night and they interviewed Stevens. He was going on about "I don't care what the media thinks".

All and all, hes acting like a bit of a bitterman.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

While going through our Texans-Dolphins photos from Week 1, I found this gem:

[​IMG]

Matt looks like he's trying to hug Ricky here. For the love of God, someone teach that boy Tackling 101.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Low Matt.....Tackle low.

I have not played a down in the NFL but I know that in order tackle a strong and athletic player like Ricky you need to go low - as in leverage.