1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Garner to manage Astros in 2005

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketManJosh, Nov 3, 2004.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Sounds good to me ... I just hope he learned from a few mistakes in the playoffs last season

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2883021

It's official: Garner to manage Astros in '05
    By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyight 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

The Astros today removed the interim tag from Phil Garner, selecting him as the club's manager for 2005.

A press conference to announce the move is set for 6 p.m. today.

Garner, hired as interim manager of the Astros on July 14, guided the Astros to a 48-26 record in the second half of the season and to the National League wild-card playoff spot. The Astros lost in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Championship Series.

The popular Garner, who played and coached for the Astros, has a career managerial record of 756-828. He spent eight seasons as manager of the Milwaukee Brewers (1992-1999) and two seasons as manager of the Detroit Tigers before being fired six games into the 2002 season.

The Kingwood resident was called upon by the Astros at the All-Star break to take over a team that a disappointing 44-44 under Jimy Williams.

The Astros went 12-16 in Garner's first 28 games, but closed the season with 36 wins in 46 games for one of the best finishing kicks in baseball history.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome!

Now to keep Beltran....and lure Clemens for 1 more.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty much a "done deal" as soon as this team made the playoffs.

Sure, he made his share of questionable moves in the playoffs, but a lot of that had to do with the roster he was dealt... with a lack of bullpen depth, and no 4th starter.

With most teams, he doesn't have to start guys on 3 days rest, or start journeymen on 96 days rest.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Sweet! I like the rate of progress in the Astros camp...things are coming together slowly and surely. Got Bidge back, Garner back, if Kent comes back its for cheaper.... just get that one Killer B and I'll be happy.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

crap I thought it was going to be Beltran resigning :(

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is interesting .................

Apparently, Tamargo and Lamont were fired. :confused:

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

from the chron article quoting tamargo, it appeared to me that purpura will fill their spots with minority candidates.

8. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well why not. Okay, maybe not Tamargo, but Lamont doesn't surprise me.

If anything, maybe Tamargo is getting a managerial opportunity elswhere and the replacement for Lamont...

...recently fired Matt Galante.

Why not?