1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Texans sign Robaire Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Indy will not be as good as they were last year. They let go a lot of players so that they could overpay Peyton. Tennessee is aging and has lost some players also. Texans may not make the playoffs but the gap between the Texans and Indy, Tennessee will not be nearly as big.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

The Titans may be getting old, but we still have 20 of our 22 starters. And just to remind everyone we have Woolfolk (#1), Calico (#2), and Rien Long (Outland Trophy winner) and some fresh runnnig backs stepping up. I'm not worried at all. Titans should be 12-4. Texans will be vastly improved but beating out the Titans and Colts will be next to impossible. I think the standings will be almost identical to last year.

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

PSJ,

The Texans might not have a better record than the Titans and Colts this next year, but there are 2 wild card teams, so all three teams could make it if I'm not mistaken.

I like the Texans signings so far and I'm pumped up for them and the 'Stros, but I hate how everyone has given up on and is so pessimistic about the Rockets. It maddens me.:mad:

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can assure you that david carr is happy that jevon kearse and robaire smith will not be lined up against him 2x next season.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Texans almost beat the Titans and Colts last year - they've added talent, the Titans haven't - it isn't a stretch to imagine a medicore year for Tennessee and a good year for Houston so that they both have similar records at the end of the season.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I dunno about that, it's a pretty good stretch. The Titans had a 7 game lead on the Texans at the end of the year.

I know what you'all are saying. But 7 games is a big difference. Especially when you consider that Kearse missed most of the season. I just don't see it. I think the 3rd wild card spot is possible. But you have Denver, NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and several other teams competing for that spot. And the Jets are really good with Pennington. So the Texans will be fighting for their life if they can't beat the Titans and Colts head to head next year.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Yep, we beat Carolina and took the Colts, Pats and Titans to the brink. For some of those games we didn't have Seth Payne, Gary Walker and Aaron Glenn. Now that we added Smith and Wade....I think some people will be watching out for the Texans.

Great moves!!

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Playoffs here we come. As long as McNair is a Titan, they are playoff contenders. But, they have lost too many players. Not just this year but last year also.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Damn we lost in the Antionio Winfield contest, Jets apparently have a deal with him. Texans kept calling his cell phone when he was in contract talks with Jets, thats pretty funny. Great offseason so far and more still to come with draft and June cuts.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

6yrs 35million dollar deal. Im glad he didn't pick up his cell. He is good but not that good. I think Nate Clements is better.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this would certainly make our draft a lot more focused around BPA. With Walker-Payne-Smith, a DL (Harris or Wilfork) is not really a top priority.

If anything, the secondary appears to be the top area of upgrade-if CC likes him enough, a move up for Sean Taylor makes a good deal of sense at this point.

Solidifying the DL like this, (and upgrading RT) also opens the door for picking up one of the stud receivers that may be at 10.

Casserly has done a very nice job to this point.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm not so sure about Seth Payne. He had major reconstructive surgery on his knee recently. That takes at least a year to recover from fully. Not to mention he might have setbacks in his rehab, so I wouldn't count on him as a full-time starter. I think that DeLoach, Sears, and Steve Martin all did a good job filling in with all the injuries we had last season.

Vince Wilfork is an awesome athlete and could step in for us at NT right away. Udeze is the kind of speed rusher you'd like at DE. Chris Gamble is a f*cking athlete at CB. Not as refined as Jammer, but more athletic.

BUT, if by some dumb luck, THE LEGEND, Roy Williams, falls into our lap, I hope to God we take him. He will be an absolute phenom in the NFL. There's absolutely no weaknesses in his game now that he learned to block last season. Imagine the kind of holes Domanick Davis would have with Roy and Andre split wide, Bradford in the slot, and Billy Miller in motion.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Winfield backed out of the Jets offer because he wants to visit more teams before signing. Texans and Vikes are believed to be the other teams he will visit. Only negative is Winfield only has 6picks in 5 seasons and 0 touchdowns.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

these players seemed to have signed on their first visits to anywhere...

anyone else think the superbowl helped us a lot as far as getting these free agents and ones in the future..

the players were all here and got to for themselves see lightlife etc.. the city has changed a lot since the oilers.. with all the new stadiums etc and a lot of people probably still had the image of the old houston in their minds...

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

:drool:

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I want Roy Williams, too. However, I do think that a DB or DL depth is still a priority. I still think Jabar Gaffney can have a good career. If there is a way to get Sean Taylor at 10, that would be awesome. I don't think we should trade up to get him by giving up other picks. As a 3rd year team, depth is still the biggest issue, as evidenced by last season.