1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Berkman agrees to multi-year deal with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bwarren, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Glad we got him, but it came at a steeper price than I had hoped.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

This deal looks like fairly similar to the Vlad deal. Basically 5/75 after his arbitration year. To me, this is a great deal by the Astros, provided they're certain the injury is not detrimental long term. It certainly covers all of Berkman's prime years. While not so long it will be paying him in a hitter's normal decline phase, like with Bagwell. Berkman obviously wanted to stay in Houston. IMO, he could easily get a 7 year deal on the market next season at about $15 mil per. After all, guys like Richie Sexon and Troy Glaus are getting $10 mil per season.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

wasn't pujols' deal only like 5/70 or 5/75? why is berkman getting the same money? i mean i really like the guy and he's awesome, but he's not albert pujols. and he's certainly not getting bonus money for the glove work.

but i guess since it's not my money and if it doesn't prevent us from spending in the future, then what do i care.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Pujols got $100M.

5. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

Does any one know who Berkman's wife is related too? Does Kristy Swanson ring a bell. Lance is loaded cash no matter what... The one reason that I will always be a diehard Berkman fan, he is a true texan!

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

That was also a 7 year deal. The money is the same, both will make 14 million a year. Berkman's contract is just a year shorter.

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

He received a full no-trade clause from Astros owner Drayton McLane...from the Chronicle.

Dammit, Dreighton, now you've screwed us by chaining us to this unweildy contract. I'm sure glad he didn't offer that to Beltran.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

There's a MAJOR difference between Pujols' contract and Berkman's. Pujols signed his long term deal right before his 1st arbitration season. Meaning he's getting paid money similar to Berkman for all 3 of his arbitration years. Berkman, on the other hand, is getting paid 5yrs/$75 mil for only his FA years.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros did sign Berkman to a 3 year contract to cover his arbitration years... the Cards basically did the same thing, but since Pujols refused to sign anything less than a long-term deal, they made it for 7 years (VERY risky on their part, but they got so damn lucky w/ that freak of nature just dropping into their laps after a Bobby Bonillia... of all people... injury).

Also, Pujols was better than Berkman earlier... and he's 4 years younger.... indicating that he definitely warrants that cash.

I had no problem w/ Berkman's contract during his arbitration years... it was pretty fair, just as this is fair as well.

In the end, both players are getting paid what they're worth... its just that after this contract, Lance might be ending his prime... whereas Pujols will probably still be very much in the spotlight, and will be seeking another huge deal.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this, and at first glance, seems high...First of all, he's doesn't have Beltran's speed, but has been consistent and hit for average...Having said that, he just tore up his knee, so how does this not get put into the equation...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad, but I hope it doesn't put a damper on other guys we need to sign long term, such as O, or free agents once Bags and Biggio are gone...

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember that deal. Something along the lines of 4yr/$10 mil I belive, a year before Berkman's arbitration eligible. My point was that you can't just say that since Pujols has the same $14-15/yr as Berkman, that Berkman's overpaid.

If Pujols this year had no long term contract, and is only a year removed from FA. Then he would've signed a much bigger deal than 7/100. Probably more like 7/150.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, I mis-red your earlier post's intentions. I thought you were falling into the Richard Justice company-line on how the Astros mis-treated Berkman during his arbitration years, and how the Cards took care of Pujols.

I definitely don't think anybody here should say that Berkman is overpaid... because he would most definitely get this contract on the open market. (hell... just look at the contract Magglio Ordonez got... and he's done less than Lance in his career, and has even more worrisome health problems).