1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christie apparently to re-sign with Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fireplug, Jul 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Fireplug

Fireplug Member

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Things are heating up on the FA market! With Christie re-signed, and the addition of Bibby, the Kings backcourt is far better. Now all the Kings need to do is an extra banger or two, and re-sign Webber and they can be serious contenders in the West.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Fireplug,

Didn't the Kings lowball Christie with their first offer to the point that it was almost insulting to him? I heard they offered him a contract that was roughly 30 to 40% of the base year salaries of the top tier shooting guards. Glad to hear they worked it out, and isn't his contract in the 40-50 million range?

Is there any truth to reports that Hedo may run a little point forward next year?

------------------
    matirmama, alabdhabhuumikatva

4. Fireplug

Fireplug Member

Petrie (Kings GM) is so tight lipped he would rather drown then call for help, so it is very hard to get a read on what the team's true plans are, but apparently the luxury tax thing has got the Kings thinking they may be done after signing Webber (and they are still pretty confident Webber will return), so I am not sure if they will pay double the dough to use their exception to actively seek another big man.

------------------
    The Bleacher Mob for Kings chat without the smack.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Christie is one of my favorite players. I consider him one of the top defensive guys in the league, and he should continue to do will with the Kings.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

6. Fireplug

Fireplug Member

I wouldn't believe what an agent tells a newspaper reporter to be god's truth. Petrie is a cold blooded negotiator, tis true, but he is also a fair man and that is why he has the respect of the players. Christie's agent was just trying to elict a little Kings fan love mail to the team regarding Christie, but Petrie is way too shrewd to let any outside force stand in the way of basketball reason. More likely, Petrie gave a fair offer in line with the changing salary structure brought on by luxury tax fears, and the agent hoped to get a little more by bringing it to the press. Obviously, since everything is roses and lolipops again between the two sides, the agent was just blowing smoke.

As far as Hedo, yeah I think the team sees him in that role. The Kings seem to like filling the team with players capable of playing multiple positions, and Hedo is certainly capable of running the offense. With Bibby in the fold now, though, I am wondering if the Kings might run a more structured offense using the point guard as an actual point guard. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Bleacher Mob for Kings chat without the smack.

7. tozai

tozai Member

I don't know how serious contenders will be if webber leaves...if he doesn't, they should be 2nd or 3rd in west. By the way, just because they got bibby for williams doesnt mean they are going to be WAY better, but I bet it will help. ANyways, now that jwill is on a somewhat ****ty team, he can go back to busting highlight moves

------------------

8. RocksMillenium

I guess that helps the Rockets if the Kings don't add an extra quality big man, but the Kings are making a huge mistake. Granted the luxury tax is a headache, but it can't be that big a problem just to get a few decent big men like Dale Davis or some other decent power big men.

------------------

9. RocksMillenium

By the way, just because they got bibby for williams doesnt mean they are going to be WAY better, but I bet it will help.

Oh they will be far better. Having a quality PG who listens, plays decent defense, makes the simple passes as well as the tough passes, and is a quality scorer and is a heads up PG will pay dividends. Jason Williams couldn't shoot, would take wild shots, couldn't defend, and made wild, unnecessary passes and tended to take the Kings out of their offense. The Kings will be far better. I think think that if we can get a quality big man the Rockets can hang with them.

------------------