1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Walker

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sean Dr34ms, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Measurements - 6'10 (with shoes), 215lbs, and a 7'2 Wingspan.
    HS Stats - 32ppg 15rpg 2apg 2spg 6bpg (couldn't find percentages)

I'm not sure if most of you know who he is or not but for those who don't you better pay attention. Chris Walker is an extremely long PF with the skill set of a SF. His unmatched athleticism (I think the most athletic player in the country) and his ability to stretch his game out to 20 feet is the reason he was ranked 12th among all seniors last year behind the likes of Wiggins, Parker and Randle. His athletic ability can't be stressed enough because he just oozes defensive potential even though his shot blocking instincts and defensive IQ is very high. He's also a very good rebounder and extremely capable of handling the ball for someone of his size.

If I had to point out where he needs to improve, I'd undoubtedly say he needs to learn to beat players with his skill and not rely on his athleticism so much. Also he needs to improve his free throw shooting and making his jumper more consistent.

I've just listed all the positive things and I'm sure some of you are wondering "why haven't heard of him on ESPN?". Well, he's just gaining eligibility of missing the first semester for academic reasons. He's recently said "Whatever role Coach Donovan wants to use me, I'm good with it. I just want to get there and play college basketball.". So he obviously has a strong desire to get on the court and contribute but might see limited minutes for a while. Florida is doing quite well being ranked 12 currently but they could most certainly use the talent of this kid as soon as possible.

The main reason I've brought all this to your attention is because since he's missed about half the season and may take a little while to get going, he's probably going to be available late in the draft (assuming he declares). His potential is very high and to think we could get him in the 20's could make for another Morey steal. I haven't really seen anyone who I would like for us to draft outside of Marcus Smart (impossible) and Doug McDermott (Late lottery-mid 1st) and he could be the one to watch.

If anyone is interested, I'll post in here once he gains official athletic eligibility.

1 person likes this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting find. He certainly has the height, length and athleticism you'd like to see. Almost a Nerlens Noel-like frame. NBADraft.net puts him at 29th this year, DraftExpress puts him at 10th next year (2015 Draft). Some highlights (err, dunks I should say)... question is can he hit a jumper and defend anyone (outside of the strong open court/weakside shotblocking skills he shows in the highlights)?

[youtube]r5YJGMfzJtc[/youtube]

[youtube]hrj8_ySk8Rw[/youtube]

[youtube]3RQtrN4LB98[/youtube]

3. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Thank for posting some highlights Clutch. I was going to but I couldn't find one that has him doing many other things besides dunking.
    His jumper is decent but like most bigs it needs time to develop. Given the fact that he was bigger than everyone else in HS I don't know that he has good on-ball defensive skills but at the Jordan Brand Classic earlier this year he had a decent defensive showing outside of his weakside blocks.

4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

"Florida freshman Chris Walker has been cleared by the NCAA and will suit up for the Gators next Tuesday, sources confirmed to CBSSports.com."
    It's about time!

5. Progs

Progs Member

Legit 6'10 and super athletic and frame to grow. Kinda of reminds me of Shawn Kemp. He is deginetly going to go 1st rd on pontential. This draft is starting to shape up nicely.