1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 23, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It ranks up there with the Maldonado's clutch 9th inning HR last night.

An iconic World series moment.

RKREBORN likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This trade deadline. A team who sees an opening in the East will get desperate enough to offer positive assets when CP3 is putting up 17/9/4 and it will get a team like the Lakers, especially if they aren't a top 2 seed, to consider packaging all of their expiring deals with an asset like Kuzma attached.

Just mentally screen shot this and circle back in February. I could be wrong and I have been wrong before but this is my assessment. There are no free agents this off season who are better than CP3 (Anthony Davis isn't going anywhere except the Knicks or the Lakers).

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Assuming Davis resigns with the Lakers, the biggest names available (on paper) will be Conley, Derozan and Drummond so, yeah...

Another team that might go after Chris is Miami, they already tried and would make sense for them, even though i wonder if they will stand pat giving the spot to Nunn at this point, the guy can play, has 10 years less than CP3, minimum contract...unless Butler pushes hard for it and/or Chris decides to opt out of his last year, i think as today i don't see it happening...
    maybe

malakas likes this.
  4. SamFisher

Which East team?

The CP3 to heat deal collapsed because the Heat are hard-capped. They will have to go into the LT to get him. Plus they have no draft picks to trade. They can effectively send the Thunder nothing of value - basically they can only cost them money.

Who is the other team that sees an opening in the east that is going to send positive value?

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I guess you'll have to tune in next week to DBZ to find the team in the East who believes they can take down the top teams!

6. SamFisher

The best teams in the east are the Sixers, Celtics, Bucks, Raptors, Pacers - which of those teams takes on CP3's contract and even more, pays for the privilege?

If he had a year or 2 left on his deal that would be plausible but 3? It's too much, which is why they ended up having to take on Russ for him.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Injuries happen and teams can surprise. The Pacers weren't supposed to be good once PG left and they were. Look at the Magic who don't have a long term PG set in place. They have too many forwards and could look to move some with a contract like Biyombo for CP3. Look at the Heat struggling, like you mentioned. It isn't about the Luxury Tax. They are HARD CAPPED they have to send out more or equal $$ than they receive. Winslow and a combination of Waiters + Olynk + James Johnson is a reasonable package to expect. The Bulls could end up wanting him to help with Coby White, who is an apprentice of CP3. Otto Porter + Kriss Dunn is a reasonable package to expect. Like I said, it isn't clear who it could be needing a player like CP3 but it just takes one and I promise the Lakers will get desperate at that time.

Edit: The Bucks could get desperate if Eric Bledsoe doesn't meet expectations. Even the Sixers could try to get out of Tobias Harris' contract if they aren't loving his production. They are a win now team and CP3 is a win now player.

Vivi, malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

OKC will do what they did for Westbrook. After KD left, they told Westbrook to sign an extension and that they will help him stat pad and become MVP. This was a formal discussion, and my guess is they told CP3 something similar. They will do everything they can do to boost his trade value and get him somewhere he wants and also maximize their return. This will be a win win for them, especially if they can lose games in the process :D

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. SamFisher

The only way to change Chris Paul's trade value is to get him to restructure or void his contract

Good luck with that one

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No, that was Steve Francis.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

CP3 looks to have shed some weight. looks pretty solid. Played under control but and looked quicker. HOpe he stays healthy.

amaru likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Having a full offseason to train definitely helped. But there always the elephant in the room......

pippendagimp likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes. We are also doing two game overreactions. See Patrick Patterson thread.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Woah woah woah , I just did that for @Carl Herrera ;)

Williamson likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

CP went from being in “incredible shape” back to washed in the span of 1 game

sorry, but can’t rely on this dude night in and night out

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Cp3 looks bad.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  18. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

What happened to Chris Paul? 6 points 4 assists 5 turn overs on 3/9 FG in 30 minutes? Just Game 2?

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You obviously didn't see him play last year?

He is old and washed. Was rewarded with a huge contract for forcing his trade to Houston and almost winning a championship.
    Didn't work, and now he just an obscene contract. Presti doesn't need to dump him, he can tank perfectly well with Paul on board. Rookie contracts aren't worth much, and if he can somehow acquire a max contract by using Paul plus multiple firsts as salary match, then no doubt he will.

LOL at anyone who thought the Rox overpaid in very late 1sts to dump Paul! Worth every pick!

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#40 heypartner, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019