1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 23, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

That you love early exits? You do you

2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

My point is CP3 is vastly overrated. He could not lead the Clippers past the Rockets. He can't even beat a WNBA player at a game of horse. He will never have a shot for a ring again unless he ends up on a team loaded with several players better than he is. For the record I do not like playoff exits period. Championships are what matter. We basically gutted our team of every asset except for Harden and now we are stuck in a hole we have to dig out of with no draft picks to build with either.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

This post was just dumb. Foh with this trash. In here talking about horse. Boy the Coronavirus got you huh

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Did you watch the 2018 playoffs?

5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

How old are you 12? You are like a dog with a bone. You are one of the main reasons I do not post on here much. I constantly see you attacking people. What makes you think you are so much smarter than everyone else? I have been an Astro , Rocket and Cougar fan since you were in diapers more than likely. Speaking of horse, take a deep breath and get off your high horse.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I see why you don’t post. It’s a good thing. More room for the better posts on the board. Never said I was smarter than everyone else but as far as this specific instance there’s no contest. Being old means what? That your old ok. Not sure why you felt the need to announce that.

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I agree it is no contest that CP3 is overrated. We gave up way too much to get him. And your insults are very juvenile and your opinion would be more credible if you provided more facts and less insults.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not really but again you do you. I’m not really interested in getting your approval. You act like you need some rocket science facts to prove how dumb your posts were. Newsflash. Nah

9. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

How Chris Paul helped develop a generation of basketball talent in NC with Team CP3

BY C.L. BROWN UPDATED AUGUST 14, 2022 2:34 PM

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C.

Phoenix Suns guard Chris Paul tells the same line to the current players participating in his grassroots basketball program as he did to the first group in 2009.

Although the Winston-Salem native and 12-time NBA All-Star guard encourages their hoop dreams, he always ends with this caveat: “You’re not taking my place.”

Paul says it with a serious tone, and it always elicits a few laughs. But in all honesty, he is preparing the players who come through the Team CP3 basketball program with the hopes that one day, when he retires of course, that someone will.

“I genuinely love these guys, man,” Paul said. “Think about it, 99 percent of them don’t make it to the NBA, but we’re still tight. We’ve still got a tight-knit family, and it’s something I take a lot of pride in.”

Paul has arguably been the most influential basketball player in the state of North Carolina for more than a decade — and he hasn’t played a home game in the state since leaving Wake Forest after his sophomore year in 2005.

Team CP3 has fielded teams that range in age from 10-17 and are sponsored by Nike. But it’s not just the traveling teams, Paul also has an annual academy for the top point guards in college to spend a week training in Winston-Salem. Stephen Curry was in the first group to participate before his final season at Davidson in 2008-09. CP3 also runs a middle school camp to develop younger players, which is how Columbia, South Carolina, native G.G. Jackson became involved with Team CP3. Those camps serve as a feeder to his teams.

“When we was growing up, it wasn’t pros around for kids to have access to,” Paul’s brother, C.J., told The News & Observer during a 2019 interview, adding that his younger brother was, “real active in trying to grow the game with these younger kids.”

Paul’s impact goes beyond putting players in the NBA — although his program has been successful at that, too. Duke’s Wendell Moore, a first-round pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves in June’s NBA draft, is the latest addition to the list of Team CP3 alumni to make it to the league. Reggie Bullock, Theo Pinson, Coby White, Day’Ron Sharpe — all former North Carolina players — Harry Giles III (Duke) and Montrezl Harrell (Louisville) all came up through Team CP3 before their college stops, eventually playing in the NBA.

CREATING A ‘GATEWAY’

As happy as Paul is to see alumni from his basketball program reach the NBA, he also takes pride in the successes of the ones who didn’t make it that far. Sam Hunt played for Team CP3 before stops at North Carolina A&T and N.C. State. Hunt, who is currently an assistant men’s basketball coach at A&T, put Paul through a workout last month while he attended Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C.

“Without this grassroots basketball, ain’t no telling what a lot of these kids would be doing — what me and my brother would have been doing,” Paul said. “So when I got the opportunity to have my own team and my parents part of the organization and my homies that I grew up with, I wanted to pour what I have into them and to try to get them the opportunity that I had.”

It’s important to Paul, because he never forgot what playing on a traveling team did for him, not just in terms of basketball, but his exposure to life outside of his neighborhood.

Paul said he was first exposed to AAU basketball when he was 9 and his brother, C.J., was 11 playing on a team coached by Andy Poplin. Paul was the ball boy, but said even then he realized the impact it had on their lives.

“It started with my parents, my dad spent his entire 401K for me and my brother to play travel basketball,” Paul said. “Everybody sort of has their thing, and basketball was a gateway for me to see the world to learn so much about life and experiences.”

Continued . . .

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

11. TimDuncanDonaut