1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul To Opt Out; Become Free Agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Jun 23, 2017.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Not sure I want that many floppers.

2. Mr Chuck Norris

chris paul coached by dantoni.....MY GAWDDDDDD. Lets remember Nash didn't brekout until he was CP3's age under dantoni....and Paul is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Better

joshuaao, DonKnock, gatsby and 2 others like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Rockets don't have the luxury to pass on superstars

Deuce, Pen15clubber and BigMaloe like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean I like how you listing small forwards power forwards but sure it would be 2 guards this time.

None the less, under the new positionless NBA we pretty much find ourselves in we are looking at 2 elite ballhandlers on a lot of the recent champions.

Along with rim protection and defense, our biggest problem was the lack of a second facilitator

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bout ta nut if it go dine

Snow Villiers, sammy and BigMaloe like this.
  6. BigMaloe

Macadamia or pistachio?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Man chowder

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

This made me spit out my drink lmao

topfive likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I will be really really surprised if Jerry West lets Chris Paul walk unless he has a master plan to rebuild from scratch.

#49 Zboy, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  10. seeingred

seeingred Member

i personally don't think it matters which position - it's more about having 2 players who can either 1) take someone off the dribble or 2) create off the pick and roll. We got a ton of great shooters around harden but we never found that 2nd playmaker. It allows defenses to key in on him and it makes the offense stagnant when he sits. I don't think anyone is capable of creating on every single possession against a great team in a 7 game series. I would rank another playmaker (at any position) as the highest priority right now. It would allow him to catch his breath on the court and keep us from giving up leads when he sits.

11. HTM

HTM Member

I like how you think a guy who is 7ft tall and another who is 6'8 are small forwards... like its not legit to consider Lebron and Durant as anything but small forwards :rolleyes:

Recent champs have also had elite bigs... committing so much salary to two redundant players would be a mistake.... gotta space the money out to cover multiple needs.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

the little guy should fit snuggly in morey's sleeve

13. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I see people voicing concern over two ball handlers. I trust D'Antoni to develop something entirely new. Just because you or I can't figure it out doesn't mean coach can't.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

This thread is a reminder of the ignorance of your average CF poster when it comes to how contracts and the cap works, let alone your average Joe.

15. BigMaloe

OK and the mismatches they create are part of the reason they are great. They have both been small forwards for the vast majority of their careers. In fact they only sparingly play the 4. Durant hardly at all and LeBron only slightly more so recently.

And by elite bigs do you mean?
    Tristan thompson
    Javale mcgee
    Zaza pachulia
    Andrew bogut

Straight up elites I tell you!

16. HTM

HTM Member

Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Draymond Green (kinda a unique freak of nature), Kevin Durant ... :rolleyes:

But yes, we should just go after 3 max level guards... see how that works out for us...

17. BigMaloe

I mean Duncan Bosh love and Draymond are all power forwards but OK what's your point? To undermine your original point that LeBron and Durant are power forwards which they aren't?

And who's the 3rd Max guard you speak of? Harden and cp3 make 2 but that's fine. Where is your strawman argument leading to?

18. HTM

HTM Member

My point most of the teams that have been successful the last few years have had talent spread out across the floor.... usually 1 elite Guard and Forwards/Centers

Heat max players: Guard/forward/forward/center
    GSW big 4 players: Guard/Guard/Forward/Forward
    Cavs max players: Guard/Forward/Forward Center

Durant/Lebrons "official" position is irrelevant.

You want most of our cap taken up by two clear guards. That is idiotic.

Having two huge max deals taking up most of your salary cap between two guards who are ball dominant is not a recipe for success. They are redundant players. Recent success has shown us teams need a max guard... a max forward and another max forward/Center.

All the recent champions have had those things.

If we sign CP3 to a big deal no way we can afford a max forward.

#58 HTM, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  19. BigMaloe

But the biggest point is "elite talent".

We aren't in a position to choose.

There is no recipe and no proof that guard/forward/forward is more successful than guard/guard/forward. And TBH the way the league is going guard play is more important

Deuce and joshuaao like this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

It's not just about elite talent.

The elite talent has to be spread out to cover all the facets of the game... having only elite guards won't do it.

Idk what proof you need all the recent champions have had 1 elite guard and multiple elite forwards

Kyrie and Lebron and Love
    Curry and Durant and Green
    Wade and Lebron and Bosh

Noticing a trend?