1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chinese Cinema] Matt Damon in Zhang Yimou's 'The Great Wall'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 28, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do they love the Transformers movies?

they suck

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why do the Chinese love T-Mac so much?

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Cause he's always crouching and hidden

4. Buck Turgidson

EXPLOSIONS AND CRAZINESS AND BOOBS

See: Statham, Cruise, Bourne, Bond, Fast/Fapulous, etc...

I'm just guessing.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Maybe it's the same reason we like the foreign kung fu movies, we never analyze the plot

Ever see any jackie chan movies and remember anything about the plot?

6. dmoneybangbang

Rumble in the Bronx = Citizen Kane.

7. Buck Turgidson

Nah, man.

Citizen Kang-Fu.

8. bongman

bongman Member

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Things will change, the Chinese market is about to over take the US market next year as the largest market in the world. Do you think when the Chinese market is twice the size of US market that there wouldn't be Chinese or other Asian stars playing the leading roles? Chinese film industry is just starting the produce mega budget films, give it time.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is an Asian movie. The movie is financed by the Chinese and they picked a white guy to headline it.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

where will Damon be in the Cruz/Costner/O'Toole white savior rankings?

12. pirc1

I am not saying about just this movie. The reason they pick the white hero is so it will have better box office outside of China. If the Chinese market is by far the most important market, probably no such consideration is needed. this is something Hollywood would not be ignoring for many more years as well.

13. pirc1

Damon >Cruz>Costner.

14. SunsRocketsfan

umm I was just saying both movies made the studios tons of money and you cant just compare the total grossed amount and equate that to which movie was more successful.

I personally thought Crouching Tiger was just okay.. not a bad movie but not awesome by any means. From a purely cinematic and artistic perspective, yes it's better than the Last Samurai. But I found both movies to be entertaining and that's all I can ask for when I go to the movies..

Also WTF are we comparing Last Samurai and Crouching Tiger? I would never have imagined to compare those movie..

Now Great Wall & the Last Samurai I can see some comparisons. Yes, a lot of peoples initial response was.. looks like Last Samurai except replace Tom Cruise with Matt Damon, replace Japan with China and then add monsters.

Also Tom Cruise has made some entertaining movies.. critics feel so too..check out his Rotten Tomato scores. A lot of his movies are above 75%.

-Mission Impossible Series / Rogue Nation has a 93% RT score /Ghost Protocol 94%
    -Jack Reacher
    -War of the Worlds
    -Minority Report (awesome movie) 90%
    -Collateral
    -Jerry Maguire
    -Edge of Tomorrow (awesome movie) 91%

15. SunsRocketsfan

it's all about the $$$$. Just like how they added that lame stupid China becomes the hero scene in the Martian. They wanted the Chinese box office..

16. SunsRocketsfan

ehh the quality of the films are decades away.. Crappy acting, crappy CGI effects usually plague Chinese films.

Plus with the exception of a few films I just don't see the rest of the world wanting to watch Chinese films. While US/Hollywood has global appeal. Just the truth.

17. SunsRocketsfan

stopped watching after the 2nd one.. THEY SUCK QUITE A LOT

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this. My understanding is that this movie is a Chinese financed and produced movie meant to make inroads into Hollywood. The Chinese movie industry did this a couple of years ago with a Silk Road movie with Adrien Brody and John Cusack.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Using the Chinese rocket was in the book.

But you're right that Hollywood has been putting more Chinese characters and actors. Part of this has to do with that the PRC puts a limit on foreign made films that can have wide release. If a movie has Chinese financing along with Chinese actors then it can be claimed to not be foreign.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Last Samurai was great for seeing Tom Cruise getting beat up repeatedly.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5MQC5uCPuGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>