1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China 92 Philippines 51

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfbreyes, Oct 8, 2002.

1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Yao Ming had unofficially 5 points, 5 blocks, and maybe 5 rebounds.

As a whole the Chinese team intimidated the Philippine team. Having to face Yao Ming told them even before the game that they were going to lose.

But Yao Ming wasn't that strong, and he has a tendency to crouch low. I don't know if his height gives him a posture problem.

Yao Ming has to build his muscles if he wants to be able to get serious minutes and guard burly big men like Shaquille O'Neal.

2. PCMILLS

PCMILLS Member

If that's so, then the whole NBA might as well call it quits, because no one is going to be able to play serious minutes and bang with Shaq. No one that is until another 7ft 350lb linebacker decides to play basketball.

But please don't misunderstand me here. I don't think it's necessary to have to "bang" with Shaq to win. I believe Shaq will get his points. What I'm hoping for is that with Yao Ming's finesse game, he'll actually make Shaq have to work on defense. With Shaq's increased weight, I see him getting less mobile and winded more quickly as the season goes on.

#2 PCMILLS, Oct 8, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2002
  3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

China is holding him back so he doesn't get hurt. They don't want to run him down either. Probably a Rockets request. China doesn't want to risk their $$$ either.

4. ckrdkjr

ckrdkjr Member

13 YAO Ming Pts (M/A) TOT 9 1P(5/6) 2P(2/4) rebounds off1 def 4 tot 5 assist1

#4 ckrdkjr, Oct 8, 2002
  5. codell

codell Contributing Member

If Shaq doesnt start losing some of his bulk, he wont last a whole lot longer. Definately not into his late 30s and 40s like a lot of great centers have! I bet that he starts devoloping leg, knee and more foot problems in the coming years.

6. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

If you post the game, you must post the picks! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lovethisgametoo

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

The Philippinos are the biggest homers. If you think we're bad, they are homer supreme. They'll stay positive and say their margin of defeat to China was the lowest and that the Chinese NT was just lucky. As if losing to China by only 40 was something to brag about.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Boy Yao sure does have those Kevin Willis/Otis Thorpe arms doesnt he?

10. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Yao Ming: 19 minutes, 9 points, 5 rebounds, 7 blocks and 1 assist.

11. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Personally, I hope the CNT keeps him on the bench a lot. He'll need all the rest he can get before coming to the NBA. Avoiding injury is another good reason. I just don't want Yao to be burnt out by the time he joins the Rockets.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, windandsea. Looks like they're limiting his minutes, as they should.

(I wish he wasn't diving on the floor for the ball! Not now, anyway. ;))

#12 Deckard, Oct 8, 2002
  13. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

#13 windandsea, Oct 8, 2002
  14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Well, he beat up my home country pretty good. :)

Born in Manila, Philippines but raised all but one year in Houston, TX!!! :D

15. coke

coke Member

Chinese NT will win all the way........

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about that too. A 7'6" guy diving for the ball!:eek: That says a lot about his competitiveness. Man, I can't wait to see him play here.

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Ming really needs to bulk up a bit!!And introduced him to some medium rare grade A premium angus steaks!!