1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Childress weighing offer from Greek team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TurtleBonzi, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Someone please tell me the story of him threatening a lawsuit against other posters. That sounds hilarious.

2. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think this is pretty cool. Its a step towards truely internationalizing basketball competition.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/th...ildress_may_become_latest_baller_to_turn_euro
    Crap I didn't think about that. We are in danger of losing him.

Childress May Become Latest Baller to Turn Euro
    Monday, July 21, 2008
    Posted By Bethlehem Shoals 11:15 AM
    Brandon Jennings is headed overseas because America won't pay him yet. Carlos Delfino can hack it in the NBA, for sure, but the money— even from a second-division team —is better in Moscow. But Josh Childress? According to Yahoo!, Childress is weighing a three-year, $20 million deal from Greece's Olympiakos:

Childress flew to Greece late Sunday and is scheduled to meet with Olympiakos officials on Monday. Childress, 25, is so flustered with the Hawks' refusal to make a sign-and-trade deal to another team, one source familiar with his thinking believes there's "better than a 50-50 chance" he'll sign with Olympiakos. The team also will cover the Greek taxes for Childress, making it even more lucrative.

Also noted: While Childress is a restricted free agent, the Hawks don't have matching rights with an international club.

Now, the editorializing: Before we get into who "belongs" in the NBA and who doesn't, or what the NBA stands for, let's not forget the crux of this: Childress wants out of Atlanta, and they don't want him to go. He had some notable play in the Hawks/Celtics series, but didn't make his name Josh Smith-like. So Childress, who really is Shawn Marion-lite, apparently finds himself wanting out (can you blame him?), without the exposure to fuel that, and in a year when cap space is spare. Maybe this is a bargaining chip, but if he does go, it's a testament to just how miserable the Hawks organization is. Donald Sterling had better watch his back.

The irony of this deal is that, while Childress can find freedom abroad, the Hawks still keep his rights for the next two years. No Jennings like wink-wink here. The real question: Can a player like J-Chillllz, whose whole identity as a player depends on proving that he can in fact do many, many things at the pro level, raise his stock by playing overseas? Otherwise, he might end up costing himself a ton of money in the long run.

4. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

ok already...we got it... your anti-euro nationalism...have you bashed on this greek fan enough???
    Anyways I dont understand your point? whats your point? that the NBA will always be the undisputed top league in the world? if thats your point your not an ass but rather an Ignorant fool.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

If some Euroteam offers Landry more than the MLE or what Morey is willing to give him we are potentially sunk with Landry :(

6. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

i meant to quote the all knowing sam :rolleyes:

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I could see something like this going down, but not with an A-list NBA talent. Also, it won't take long before the Euro/Russian teams bleed themselves dry financially. Also, most leagues stipulate a hard cap on the number of foreign players (Americans) that can be on the roster.

But good for Childress if he gets a better than MLE offer overseas and takes it. The NBA needs the competition.

Evan

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Unless they take some of that FIFA money to support their basketball efforts.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I personally wouldn't mind more international competition for players. Maybe Stern would stop trying to dictate lives with his age requirements if some top-notch talent went overseas for a bit, as opposed to going to college.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Brandon Jennings, a former prep star, has forgone college and has already signed with Pallacanestro Virtus Roma of the Italian pro league. He has decided to play there a year before entering the draft.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm worried I'll get some of the details wrong, but he became VERY worked up over Sam's tzaziki jokes, barn jokes, and Helenic jock-riding jokes, and Sam quoting V-Span's statistics, that he earnestly threatened a lawsuit. He said he would not take another insult and that he had hired a "$500 per hour lawyer" to investigate the matter.

It would be worth finding that thread... it was, of course, a V-Span thread.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I really like childress. When the rox had the lotto pick, I wanted them to trade for a young vet like him. At least he's still getting better. Also the comment about Athens being a better place to live and I sorta agree, but if you're a african american, Atlanta is paradise. The women, the nightlife for a black man is great. That's why its the new "Chocolate City".

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It was an epic thread, here's where it gets interesting

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=3086288#post3086288

Incidentally it was not me but codell who as the subject of legal action for accusing him of having Muliple Poster-nality Disorder.

14. JD2010

JD2010 Member

LMFAO.
    Someone needs some adderall.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Meh, only the US think they're the best.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That thread as captured, on its 24th page, by Dr. of Dunk prior to lockage, in a post of sheer storytelling brilliance that the spirit of the great Homer himself would charge across the River Styx to congratulate the author.

If you don't want to read all 24 pages of that mind-numbingly funny thread, here is the 15 minute recap

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

before i finish DoD's recap (i'm only on 6 of 37 and it's damn good), i just wanted to thank VesceySux for posting that epic MacBeth quote (Even in tragic pain you are hilarious... like a clown being stabbed to death.) from some other board in that thread. it never gets old.

probably the 2nd funniest thing i've ever read from a message board, behind "maybe it's a different chijioke onyenegecha" posted on hornfans from a sooners board when an oklahoma football player by that name got arrested.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm glad for the link, and I had never seen that summary by Dr. of Dunk -- thanks much.

But I stand corrected. BBallScientologist never said 500 dollar per hour lawyer. Just 500. Could be 500 cc goat's milk, or 500 units short of a JD lawyer.

And... how did DoD know I am a part-time fry cook? How in the hell did my whole sham of being a scientist get sniffed out like last night's popcorn shrimp?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was an awesome thread, I do want to point out that :

a. I am still happy that JVG was fired

and

b. still happy that we got Scola.

Some things never change.

DD

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA will always be the undisputed top League in the world.........

Why? There is heritage, and legacy in the NBA. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and on and on and on..........

Euroball will definetly obtain some lower-end talents that want to live more lavishly and put in less work to succeed (not to mention some of these guys who would be going home to play). But for NBA players that respect the heritage and have the burning passion to play on the highest level like their heroes before them, any other league would be a failure.......

Guy's like Marbury I could see going to Europe, He wants money, and he has no respect for the game or the greatness that was in the Garden before him....

One more NBA advantage is............................Black People!