1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Pre-draft Testing Results

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aelliott, Jun 18, 2002.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the results of the Chicago pre-draft testing, from ESPN Insider.

It doesn't neccessarily mean anything, but it is interesting.

Butler was awful. George Williams can jump (but we knew that). Ryan Humphrey can jump (we didn't know that).

Sorry about the formatting
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although athletic potential alone doesn't indicate whether a top draft prospect will turn into an NBA star (paging Harold Miner), it certainly doesn't hurt a player's stock.

Insider has obtained the results from the Chicago pre-draft physical testing of 83 prospects, including most of the players projected as lottery picks.

The test revealed that St. Bonaventure point guard J.R. Bremer, who can reportedly bench press 350 pounds despite being just 6-foot-2, was ranked by the NBA as the top athlete tested.

Bremer set a Chicago pre-draft record when he bench pressed 185 pounds 24 times during the physical.

He also recorded a 35.5 inch vertical jump and had high scores in 3/4 court sprint and lane agility drills.

Other top performers included Maybyner Nene Hilario (ranked No. 2), Maryland's Chris Wilcox (No. 5), Duke's Jay Williams (No. 7) and Amare Stoudemire (No. 12).

Second-round prospects Tamar Slay (No. 3), Matt Barnes (No. 8) and Shaw's Ronald Murray (No. 10) also tested well.

Hilario finished fourth in the lane agility drills with a 10.73 seconds time; eighth in the bench press drill (16 reps of 185 pounds);
    13th in the 3/4 court sprints with a 3.19 seconds time; and 25th in the vertical jump with a 34 inch vertical.

Wilcox finished fourth in the bench press drill (20 reps of 185 pounds); 10th in the 3/4 court sprints with a 3.16 seconds time; and 22nd in the vertical jump with a 34.5 inch vertical. He tested only average in the lane agility drils with a 11.43 time.

Williams finished first in the lane agility drills with a 10.34 seconds time; third in the 3/4 court spring with a 3.09 seconds time; and 13th in the vertical jump with a 36 inch vertical. He completed 10 reps of 185 pounds in the bench press drill.

Several lottery prospects, including Stanford's Curtis Borchardt (No. 74 overall), UConn's Caron Butler (No. 68) and Indiana's Jared Jeffries (No. 63) were ranked at the bottom of the prospects tested.

Borchardt finished last on the 3/4 court sprint with a 3.63 seconds time; and third to last with a 27 inch vertical jump. Butler could manage only two reps of 185 pounds in the bench press drill and finished poorly in the 3/4 court sprints and lane agility drills. Jeffries had a very poor showing in the 3/4 court sprints and was just average on every other event.

Top 5 Verticals
    (in inches)
    Matt Barnes -- 40.5
    George Williams -- 39
    Elvin Mims -- 38
    Tamar Slay -- 38
    Ryan Humphrey -- 37.5

Top 5 Bench Press
    (reps of 185 lbs).
    J.R. Bremer -- 24
    Chris Burgess -- 24
    Udonis Haslem -- 22
    Chris Wilcox -- 20
    Kris Lang -- 19

Top 5 sprints
    (in seconds)
    Damon Hancock -- 3.03
    Cordell Henry -- 3.04
    Jay Williams -- 3.09
    Tamar Slay -- 3.09
    J.R. Bremer -- 3.10

Top 5 lane agility
    (in seconds)
    Jay Williams -- 10.34
    Teddy Dupay -- 10.53
    Matt Barnes -- 10.68
    Nene Hilario -- 10.73
    Carlos Boozer -- 10.77

Chicago Pre-Draft Camp Physical Testing
    Player Overall Rank
    (out of 83) Bench Press
    (reps of 185 lbs) Vertical jump
    (inches) 3/4 court sprint
    (seconds) Lane agility
    (seconds)

Carlos Boozer 32 13 28.5 3.31 10.77
    Curtis Borchardt 74 7 27 3.63 12.56
    Caron Butler 68 2 31 3.33 12.15
    Mike Dunleavy 53 11 29 3.30 11.55
    Melvin Ely 70 7 29 3.35 11.96
    Drew Gooden 22 13 33 3.19 11.81
    Marcus Haislip 17 8 36.5 3.21 11.35
    Nene Hilario 2 16 34 3.19 10.73
    Ryan Humphrey 13 13 37.5 3.20 11.75
    Jared Jeffries 63 9 30 3.40 11.73
    Jason Jennings 62 8 32 3.62 11.92
    Kareem Rush 34 15 30 3.22 11.86
    Amare Stoudemire 12 12 35.5 3.25 11.19
    Dajuan Wagner 21 16 35 3.22 12.03
    Chris Wilcox 5 20 34.5 3.16 11.43
    Frank Williams 64 11 31 3.29 11.73
    Jay Williams 7 10 36 3.09 10.34
    Qyntel Woods 41 2 34.5 3.23 11.94

#1 aelliott, Jun 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2002
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Interesting about Butler (the next Paul Pierce :rolleyes: ) Not that the workouts really mean anything, but I never thought Butler would turn out to be a star NBA player. I never saw him show and spectacular leaping ability, agility, quickness, or ball handling. However, I thought he was EXTREMELY strong. Two reps? My goodness. That can't be right! Dunleavy got 11!

That's impressive about Hilario.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That Jason Jennings looks like more of an athlete than most are giving him credit for. His 32" vertical is pretty darn good for a 7-footer.

4. tbagain

tbagain Member

I am really impressed with Wilcox. He is going to be a beast in three years.

5. jams3y

jams3y Member

there's gotta be something wrong w/ that list. marcus haislip only lifting 185 pounds 8 times? come on, the guy has a 400+ pound bench... and he's not one of those guys that are huge as hell, but no definition... he's a cut master, i have a hard time dunleavy did more than he did. and caron butler w/ 2 reps? give me a break, the guy's a ****ing animal. perhaps they were counting the number he did one-handed? lol j/j, but how can that **** be real?

6. german rocketfan

Wilcox could be the next Ben Wallace.

I'm disappointed of Butler.I thought he will be in the Top 5.After that Workout,i see him moving down and the Heat or Wizards will take him at 10/11.

I am also disapointed of Jennings,Haislip,Ely and Borchardt.For those PF's and C's,who can't bench 185 10 times,it will be hard to make the NBA.

GRF

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Butler was slacking so he could drop to the Rockets-
    2 at 185 :rolleyes: thats 45 lbs. under his weight.
    His 32" vertical is pretty darn good for a 7-footer. JJ turned some heads...

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Exactly.

I've never been on the Butler bandwagon (seems to be bigger than the Ming one, which is sad), and if he only got 2 reps, that will further my case that Butler went from underrated to overrated in a matter of a couple good tourney games.

Butler=James Posey or Artest. Butler has no ball skills to be the next Paul Pierce.

9. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

Why somebody like J.R. Bremer is not considered as a first-round prospect ?

10. DLev

DLev Member

Well, I knew I wasn't halucinating when I saw Butler on TV and thought he looked like an unathletic pudge. (Obviously, a bit of an exaggeration)

11. jams3y

jams3y Member

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that caron butler's gonna be a badass, despite the "2 reps of 185". has anyone stopped to think just how ridiculous that is? he is a winner, he plays good defense, he shot 46% from the field, averaging 20+ ppg in the big east, he is a monster on the glass, more than respectable ball handler and passer, a leader, a competitor. everyone raves about his strength, and for some reason, i find it hard to believe that this is the first time someone has ever seen him bench press. if he were that weak, it would've been out a long time ago, and he wouldn't have been doing the things we've all seen him do. if anything concerns me about butler, or is worth noting rather, is that he is perceived as a "sophomore", when he is in effect a senior, due to post-hs years at maine central. so he's a "true senior", but that doesn't really matter. no way he's gonna be as good as paul pierce, but he will be a killer in the league.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Everyone has been saying how Woods might be the most talented player in the draft and he only got two reps and ranked about in the middle of 84 players tested...

I wonder how much these tests really matter. They say haislip can lift 400 pounds yet he only knocked out 8 reps.

13. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Good post jams

I really hope the NBA doesn't start going to the "NFL combine" approach of drafting players. I think in basketball especially, it's important that you get guys that can PLAY. The bench press IMO is not an accurate assessment of "basketball strength." In basketball your strength is determined by your overall body and how you use it -- the way you push people off the block, the way your body is strong enough to get to loose balls first without being pushed off of your angle, and the way you get in position for rebounds.

All of those things require your entire body as a whole. Seeing a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper can't tell me that Caron Butler is overrated, or not athletic enough, or not strong enough.

Watch the freaking games, you scouts. You want to go nuts with your stopwatch? Get a tape of a UConn game and time how quick Butler ball fakes, takes a power dribble and shoots the ball in a fluid motion (and then compare that to Dunleavy's time). Get out your imaginary ruler and measure how far he travels on the court with that one power dribble.

The Paul Pierce comparisons are off base for now, but Caron's gonna be a good player. Hell, Paul Pierce at Kansas wasn't going to be Paul Pierce of today when he first came out.

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<table border=6 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=3 style='font-family:arial; font-size:8pt;'><caption>Physical Test</caption>
    <tr><td align=center>Player<br>Name</td><td align=center>Overall<br>Rank</td><td align=center>Bench<br>Press</td><td align=center>Vertical<br>Leap</td><td align=center>3/4 Court<br>Sprint</td><td align=center>Lane<br>Agility</td>
    </tr><tr><td align=center>Carlos Boozer</td><td align=center>32</td><td align=center>13</td><td align=center>28.5</td><td align=center>3.31</td><td align=center>10.77</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Curtis Borchardt</td><td align=center>74</td><td align=center>7</td><td align=center>27</td><td align=center>3.63</td><td align=center>12.56</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Caron Butler</td><td align=center>68</td><td align=center>2</td>
    <td align=center>31</td><td align=center>3.33</td><td align=center>12.15</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Mike Dunleavy</td>
    <td align=center>53</td><td align=center>11</td><td align=center>29</td><td align=center>3.30</td><td align=center>11.55</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Melvin Ely</td><td align=center>70</td><td align=center>7</td><td align=center>29</td><td align=center>3.35</td><td align=center>11.96</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Drew Gooden</td><td align=center>22</td><td align=center>13</td><td align=center>33</td><td align=center>3.19</td><td align=center>11.81</td></tr><tr ><td align=center>Marcus Haislip</td>
    <td align=center>17</td><td align=center>8</td><td align=center>36.5</td><td align=center>3.21</td><td align=center>11.35</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Nene Hilario</td>
    <td align=center>2</td><td align=center>16</td><td align=center>34</td><td align=center>3.19</td>
    <td align=center>10.73</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Ryan Humphrey</td>
    <td align=center>13</td><td align=center>13</td><td align=center>37.5</td><td align=center>3.20</td>
    <td align=center>11.75</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Jared Jeffries</td><td align=center>63</td><td align=center>9</td><td align=center>30</td><td align=center>3.40</td><td align=center>11.73</td></tr><tr ><td align=center>Jason Jennings</td><td align=center>62</td><td align=center>8</td><td align=center>32</td><td align=center>3.62</td><td align=center>11.92</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Kareem Rush</td>
    <td align=center>34</td><td align=center>15</td><td align=center>30</td><td align=center>3.22</td><td align=center>11.86</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Amare Stoudemire</td>
    <td align=center>12</td><td align=center>12</td><td align=center>35.5</td><td align=center>3.25</td><td align=center>11.19</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Dajuan Wagner</td>
    <td align=center>21</td><td align=center>16</td><td align=center>35</td><td align=center>3.22</td><td align=center>12.03</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Chris Wilcox</td><td align=center>5</td><td align=center>20</td><td align=center>34.5</td><td align=center>3.16</td><td align=center>11.43</td></tr><tr ><td align=center>Frank Williams</td><td align=center>64</td><td align=center>11</td><td align=center>31</td><td align=center>3.29</td><td align=center>11.73</td></tr><tr><td align=center>Jay Williams</td><td align=center>7</td><td align=center>10</td><td align=center>36</td><td align=center>3.09</td><td align=center>10.34</td></tr><tr ><td align=center>Qyntel Woods</td><td align=center>41</td><td align=center>2</td><td align=center>34.5</td><td align=center>3.23</td><td align=center>11.94</td></tr></table>

Mango

#14 Mango, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  15. Matador

Matador Member

I wonder how Yao would do in these trials. My guess is not very good, but that's not saying he won't turn out to be a great NBA player.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

Hey i'm stronger than Caron Butler!! WEE

what exactly is the "lane agility" drill?

17. ricky812

ricky812 Member

does anyone have from a few years back how steve did in the physical testing and what his wingspan is? I am interested in seeing that and comparing it to jay williams.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Rush's vertical is only 30inches? I thought he could get up higher than that. And as far as Butler, just because he had trouble pressing 185 does not mean he will be a NBA bust. I doubt if Iverson can get 185 off the bar and you know how great he is.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Mango. You made it very easy to read. Hilario and Wilcox look pretty good, if those tests mean anything. Do you have an opinion on the importance of the tests? Are they a huge deal to the teams making the picks, or do they make up just a small part of what they take into consideration. And I know there are LOTS of other factors. :)

20. KanHoop

KanHoop Member

Based on this info from Chris Monter, the teams' draft gurus pay little attention to these things -- Kwame finished at 37 overall, Rodney White at 57, Griffin at 58, Curry at 59, and Chandler at 68 (?!).

http://collegebasketballnews.theinsiders.com/2/51320.html

Prempeh -- well said. Watch 'em play.