1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago locals not happy about bussed immigrant housing plan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kim, May 7, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And in the meantime we’re hearing farmers in the Midwest saying they need more labor as planting season approaches. The sooner we can get the migrants settled the sooner they can contribute to our economy.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You don't sound any better than the people who don't want the migrants here at all.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really because I want them to get jobs and contribute to our economy. Would it be better if I just said everyone should live off of welfare instead of contributing to our economy?

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, really.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I am in Chicago at least 3-4 times a week - most of my friends live in Chicago.

There are Venezuelans, almost all women and children on the corners of the major population hubs. There are maybe 20-30 total in the greater downtown area. They sell candy and do not beg.

The truth is that, in a city of nearly 3,000,000 people - the presence of migrants is noted, but it really isn't like what is shown in the media. The media isn't lying, but there is no perspective shown, and they tend to cover the most extreme in a massively sized city. Also there is little perspective, for example, Chicago has as a culture always had large protests and also the local Aldermen always have screaming matches when they hold meetings with their local citizens, because Chicago is such a politically charged town.

I wouldn't say it isn't an issue at all - it is, as I said - there are Venezuelans downtown selling candy, next to the usual panhandlers and the same 10 or so homeless people that are very creative in their efforts to get "donations". There are also areas where you will see camps of immigrants in groups of 3-4 under the overpass - but that isn't really as common as the media portrays as well.

So it isn't Armageddon.... and the city isn't falling apart either.....

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chicago residents who pay taxes should get services over illegals

basso likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Chicago residents reject new taxes

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Many members of ClutchFans live in TX. It’s an issue that has long been here and multiple times that in most other places, yet it’s absolutely not falling apart. People read too many outrage tweets.

And some of them have to purposefully ignore statistics, such as crime being significantly down in 2023 and that trend continuing in 2024. So much for a crime-infested invasion from the south.

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Sadly because fox and company make this out as if the sky is falling, scares the bejesus out of folks who don't see the "real picture", similar to the border.............they feed off the fear and that's what the gop is selling. Dont get me wrong, we have a problem that needs to be fixed but the suburban housewife sitting in Omaha Ne doesn't know the difference and believes that were being over run. Its just like an article I saw last night about the Gov of N Dakota saying chinese spies crossed the southern border to get the genetics of their crops.............if you sell fear, you want that housewife to be scared to death that there after her and her kids. People can take a lot of things; they can put up with high gas or high peanut butter but fear of "foreigners" invading their town is a different level and that's what the gop is banking on and we will hear about that for the next 8 months

Andre0087, Amiga and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

This isn't a surprise - Cook County has very high taxes, and the city of Chicago (like NYC, LA) is becoming increasingly expensive for poor people to live in, and that included well entrenched black and Hispanic groups. So any call for an increase in taxes is increasingly unpopular.

ROCKSS and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

these meetings real breh
    It’s on video
    @Salvy