1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago locals not happy about bussed immigrant housing plan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kim, May 7, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Curious - what are your other labor related costs like SSI & Medicare (fica), unemployment, group healthcare, workers compensation, any retirement benefit or 401k matching?

What do they add up to on a per employee basis?

Most people don't realize that when you hire someone at ~$50k they really end up costing you somewhere between 25-50% more than the actual wage when all those other costs are factored in.

Kim likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure, technically we are at ~4% UE.

But that number really doesn't mean much, not when there are so many people under employed or in dead end jobs that just don't pay a livable wage - fast food and retail immediately come to mind.

There's countless people out there taking on second and third gigs just to make ends meet ...

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

tinman likes this.
  6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yes it does - I do not offer 401(k) but I do of course adhere to SSI & Medicare (fica)- that is part of the expenses that really adds up- you may say if the business earns $100 per hour as an example can you pay the employee $30 per hour is that a fair percentage? And the answer is that's pretty much where it should be because by the time I have to account for administrative, required payroll obligation expenses, plus consideration for my own Capital and taxes - that $70 cut gets hit more than you realize - if I am running 3 crews - sure it amounts to up to $200 per hour for me after initial pay expenses but then phase two expenses kicks in that takes a bite

this is partially why I think I'm about where I want to be size wise- I feel it's a sweet spot of not being too large and the problems and added expense

Kim likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe you can't afford a business?

What happens to your business if there are no laborers? So that means your laborers are creating the value. You are just doing administrative work.

Maybe you need to look at getting a job as obviously owning a business is too much for you.

Business owners should have rrje most basic level of moral culpability where if they understand they are requiring another human is doing your profit motive for 40-50 hours a week, that is a massive opportunity cost for that laborer where that 40-50 hours or work better generate a livable wage as in they don't fear basic human needs like dental care.

If you think that's too much of a burden for you then you aren't at a level financially to be running a business ethically.

You can't compel someone to be with you for 40-50 hours a week for your profit motives and note expect that person to not be compensated to live a regular first world existence.

8. ROXRAN

I'm not sure where you're getting this. My business is doing tremendously well - it's growing in profitability. - my workers appreciate me they are making up to $30 per hour. I never have any issue with finding workers.lol-my workers tend to be college kids/ I asked them would they rather have a higher wage or health benefits /

Invisible Fan, Corrosion and tinman like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

You find workers
    Not wokers

Corrosion and ROXRAN like this.
  10. ROXRAN

The wokes can apply at doordash or Ubereats if they don't like pay for performance, - they sure want a 30% tip though I'm sure

#190 ROXRAN, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Corrosion and tinman like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Telling a human to chose between health benefits and a higher wage is dystopian as f***. As a society we've gone so use to it that for bisines owners those type of decisions feel normal.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t understand these dumb wokes don’t believe the Chicago residents are unhappy
    It’s like they fake pretend to care
    Clearly they aren’t happy
    @J.R.
    It’s more obvious than Lizzo jumping into a swimming pool

J.R. and ROXRAN like this.
  13. ROXRAN

So true - we see a lot of fake pretend to care especially from woke liberal politicians

tinman likes this.
  14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No one cares about your commie bs. He is offering X money to do Y work. People are freely accepting this offer. Where is the compulsion? Sounds like he is freely contracting with people under no obligation to accept what he is offering and that he has no shortage of people looking to accept the deal. We like to call that a free labor market. There is nothing unethical about what he is doing. If the workers want to spend their time doing something else for some other compensation, how is he standing in their way?

Invisible Fan, Corrosion and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

I thought woke people cared about Black people , the majority of the people angry are Black people seeing that resources are immediately going to the migrants and nothing to help their established communities. Didn’t they vote in Lightfoot and Johnson ?
    Why is the major of New York City who is democrat mad at Biden ?
    Why is Kendrick Perkins mad at Jovic and Denver cause they won the nba championship?

ROXRAN likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Communists really need to go live in communist countries
    I heard Cuba has great coffee and needs woke baristas to help the LatinX community in Havana
    @Salvy @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Mindsets like this held in mass makes violent revolutions pretty much inevitable.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes, how dare people allow other people to freely decide whether or not to take a job offer? Outrageous that @ROXRAN is allowed to advertise a job opening and accept candidates who apply for said job at mutually agreed upon wage. Then, they are being allowed to take those wages and exchange them for goods and services. Very upsetting stuff, certainly a revolution must be imminent.

Corrosion and tinman like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s lots of fake woke people

why do you think they left California for Texas or Tennessee or Florida?

They don’t want to pay state income tax
    Why? Cause they get nothing in return
    They don’t have better roads, schools and clearly public safety departments

do they really want their money to fund kids getting their wieners chopped off and reparations for a state that didn’t have slavery ?

ROXRAN and Corrosion like this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member