1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago locals not happy about bussed immigrant housing plan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kim, May 7, 2023.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I figured Tinman would have posted this by now. I'm no fan of Abbott or De Santis, particularly with their free speech stances, their thirst for power, and their general opposition to democracy hidden under the guise of patriotism. That stated, I actually think the bussing plans are pretty smart politically, and make sense from a public policy standpoint if done properly. There are burdens and benefits of northern migration of poor central and south americans, and the parties in charge only play to the side that they like. Fed gov should take control and bus them to places in the middle of this country that is short on labor. But yeah, many progressives have the luxury of not caring about potential negative impacts when it's not in their back yard. Now it's in their back yard and it ain't so easy.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

How about if you’re gonna send these people to random places across the country, u actually coordinate with these places? That’s what u would do if u actually cared about the issue as opposed to playing political games.

just dumping people at Martha’s Vineyard with zero notice is disgusting

Wasn’t Trump supposed to build a wall?

Republicans have been in control of TX for how long now? What have they actually done regarding the border? Wth did Bush and Trump do?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why doesn't Cali do this then when they have a larger migration burden?

Defending this is disgusting.

#3 fchowd0311, May 7, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Seriously praising these actions when they are built on cruelty and dehumanization is asinine.

This Kim poster is a moderate in America. That's how far gone we are.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

this the state of the country…just dehumanize people in order to play games and score political points

if a massive earthquake hit California and many died, I guarantee you’d be seeing a whole bunch of “that’s what leftists get” etc…at this point, I’m not sure a republican president would even send any aid until the last possible moment because they don’t view people they don’t like as American…that’s why they keep talking about and referring to themselves as “real Americans”

this where we’re at…a decade ago I would’ve never imagined it’d be like this

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think it's disgusting to create a national bussing program to diffuse the benefits and drawbacks of southern migration. It's an alternative to the fact that Congress has passed, and reinforced through additional legislation that all illegal migrants are supposed to be housed temporarily until their court proceedings determine their status. It's just that Congress never allocates the money to execute their laws.

I think the bussing policy is politically savy, and it's clear that not everyone in progressive states feels the way they do when the issue is in their communities. Did you watch the video?

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. fchowd0311

No I didn't watch the video. Praising something that comes from a place of dehumanization is disgusting. What is the motive of Abbot when he busses migrants?

Is it for their well-being or a political stunt to dehumanize them?

Hence why it's disgusting to praise the tactic.

Why are states that have higher migration burdens like Cali not pulling these stunts?

If you want to have a discussion about distributing migrants to areas of the country that are needed more because of a lack of labor for example then by all means.

But the reality is migrants will move to where jobs are. Hence another reason why it's dehumanization. It attributes characteristics to migrants that they congregate and do nothing rather than seeking out jobs like they are deer needing to be culled.

And the only people pissed at the bussing aren't people who are pissed that there are more migrants in their backyard. They are pissed that they just dumped humans with no preparation like making sure shelter is lined up.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's a matter of public policy. El Paso is declaring a state of emergency. There are no available shelter spaces in Texas operated by the federal government. If Chicago has available buildings for temporary shelter, which they do, then that would be helpful. It's Chicago residents that don't want those buildings used for this.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

I sincerely love how utterly naive you are. Its not "congress" but the republican party. Biden has begged for 10x in immigration judges and more funding for the border but the Republicans denied the request. The budget biden just released this year requests for additional 50b in border spending while Republicans COUNTER PROPOSAL WAS A CUT OF 20% IN FUNDING FROM TODAYS LEVEL!!!

It's always funny when people play "both sides" bs when Republicans have ZERO interest in fixing the issue. They love the border being broken so they can blame biden nd dems. Why didn't trump build the wall when he had both chambers of congress?!

This national bus program and whatever other bs will never happen cuz Republicans don't give a crap about solutions. They never have. They want a broken border to score points forever. They will Never fund any programs that help the crisis. Never

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

All these are tactics. It's funny you don't mention their most immoral behavior and just list tactics they use to maintain power. If I was going to list the reasons I mostly hate Abbot or DeSantis it's because of the rhetoric they use that dehumanizes groups of people outside the conservative traditional hierarchy. That is their biggest crime as moral sentient agents.

The free speech abuses, threats to democracy etc ilare tactics to maintain a social hierarchy that entails that anyone outside that conservative tribal hierarchy are less then humans.

I think you are coming at this from a immoral standpoint when you are releasing this specific tactic of theirs while ignoring their motivation.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not even talking about judges and the current Republican House. For the last 30+ years, neither party has funded immigration law to even execute it by the book. There are not enough facilities to house immigrants who are supposed to be housed. SCOTUS has let this slide, but this term may overturn precedent because "shall" means "shall," though in the past, not enough money for housing = release the overflow of illegal immigrants until their court dates. The current immigration cases at SCOTUS are dealing with the conflict between the text of the law and the workability of the law, and the court's role.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't know what is inherently dehuminizing about bussing migrants to other states who don't share in the benefits/drawbacks of border states. I do understand it's a political game, but the policy impact has merit. When there is no immigration detention facility space remaining, I don't know what the better option is? And from how Chicago residents are reacting, it clearly isn't an easy issue with easy solutions.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Please tell me how this is “politically savvy” when it comes with no solutions offered?

I wasn’t aware that republicans offered a counter proposal of a 20% cut to today’s spending on the border @astros123

tells u all u need to know

El Paso is declaring a state of emergency? Ok? What has Abbott and the rest of his little clan really done to address the border situation? Republicans have been in complete control of TX for DECADES! What did Trump offer aside from some measly wall he didn’t build? What has any republican done? And even with that pathetic “build the wall” measure, they took funds collected for building the wall, and went and committed fraud.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry dude I fell asleep watching that boring warriors Lakers game

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Try to figure out why it's dehumanizing especially when you consider the motive of the vast majority of people advocating for it.

If you ask me would I support a transportation infrastructure that transports willing and consenting HUMANS to relocate to regions with more opportunities yes. I am not going to spit shine a dehumanization tactic though.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

No offense you're forming an entire judgement based upon lies and disinformation. Under Obama he requested more appropriations for border than any other administration. Obama deported more people than Bush combined. You talk about housing but the latest biden budget requested tens of billions for migrant housing. They were trying convert older building into temporary shelters but Republicans denied the funding.

Do you magically forget what happened in 2013 when senate agreed on a immigration plan?? Sean Hannity for effs sakes even backed the plan but backlash from radio was soo much the house nixed the plan. Same thing happen with Bush and his plan.

You can keep spinning this bogus "both sides" bs but you're speaking disinformation. Republicans love the border being broken. They LOVE the chaos and have ZERO interest in working with dems on fixing it. None

Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

“Chicago has the space”

no, no, they do not

Buses sent by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott have brought hundreds more asylum-seeking migrants to Chicago in recent weeks.

Why it matters: According to Mayor Lori Lightfoot, the city is out of space and resources to help them.

Context: On Sunday, Lightfoot sent a letter to Abbott calling his actions "inhumane and dangerous" and saying the city is "tapped out."

The other side: "If Chicago can't deal with 8,000 in less than a year, how are small Texas border communities supposed to manage 13,000 in just one day?" Abbott wrote in his response letter.

Yes, but: Texas gets money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help with the influx of migrants seeking asylum. Chicago does not.

nor is Abbott doing any coordination with the cities he’s bussing these people to

“I don’t see how it’s dehumanizing”

[​IMG]

Outgoing Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and New York City Mayor Eric Adams are criticizing Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for resuming the "inhumane and dangerous" busing of migrants to major cities.

In a letter written Sunday, Lightfoot cited concerns about Chicago's ability to accommodate more migrants, writing, "We simply have no more shelters, spaces, or resources."

"Your lack of consideration or coordination in an attempt to cause chaos and score political points has resulted in a critical tipping point in our ability to receive individuals and families in a safe, orderly, and dignified way," Lightfoot wrote.

Adams described the busing as "morally bankrupt and devoid of any concern for the well-being of asylum seekers"

Lightfoot noted that Chicago has cared for more than 8,000 immigrants since August 2022. She wrote that some of the migrants' "urgent needs" were ignored by Texas officials last year, including moving some women who were in active labor.

"Though I am sympathetic to the significant challenges that border cities face, this situation is completely untenable," Lightfoot wrote. "The national immigration problem will not be solved by passing on the responsibility to other cities."

Adams added that Abbott bused migrants against their will, including migrants who tested positive for COVID, and "tagged individuals with barcodes."

18. astros123

astros123 Member

The latest republican proposal on raising the debt ceiling is a broad 20% spending cuts which would mean thousands of agents being laid off. This is their plan. While we have folks obsessed with spinning everything "both sides" there's only one party even interested in tackling the issue.

Reeko and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

this literally just happened like an hour ago

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

blue_eyed_devil likes this.