1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Nov 13, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He was shooting at me, as if I care that any of these guys have good write-ups.

I don't see the KG comparisons because KG was a beast on the post and rarely shot 3 pointers and was much more physical.

But he has been having a great run lately.

I think Banchero is more like KG who could operate in the mid and high post.

I am just happy to have several guys to care about on the college level.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Holmgren isn't all that similar to Garnett. They are just very different players from different eras.

D-rock, Milos and jiggyfly like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think the similarities are long, thin high upside defensive players with guard like handles and tenacity on the court.
    KG had a face up game and range to go along with solid post play. That is Chet’s upside. Whether he hits it or not is to be seen.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

KG didn’t shoot many 3s, you’re absolutely right. But he did have range and handles.
    That’s the similarity with Chet, to go along with elite defense.
    If you don’t think Chet is physical I don’t know what to say. Maybe comparing the two eras is different but Chet is very physical and can bang for his frame

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He can bang against mid-major type guys, but can he bang against NBA types?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We will see. There’s a question on if Paolo can beat NBA players on offense as well.

I think Chet has shown internationally that he can hang and bang with elite talent

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Paolo not being overly long or athletic and more of a face up big leaves question marks.

Chet having a solid inside out game but rail thin and not the go to guy leaves question marks.

Jabari not having the handles and somewhat poor shot selection (imo) to go along with having an elite defensive center playing with him leaves question marks.

I would take any of them. Preference is length and defense with high upside offense.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Beating and banging are not the same thing, and international guys are not the same as NBA guys.

There are not many scouts who have questions if Paolo can replicate his game in the NBA, scoring is far down the list of things teams worry about him.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There aren’t many scouts that Chet can be elite defensively either. There are scouts that worry about Paolo athleticism, he’s not beating NBA talent and his jumper isn’t as good as Jabari or Chet.

D-rock likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, I think Paolo will be an absolute monster on offense. That handle, that first step, frame and shooting touch are crazy. But he’s still not overly long or explosive, the skill level is elite though

D-rock likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I don't get the KG/Holmgren comparisons. The only things they have similar is they are both thin and lanky, and Holmgren allegedly has the same intensity as KG has. They have very different games and skillset due to the era they played in.

KG played in the post MJ era, nobody except Donnie Nelson teams ran fast breaks everyone else played half court sets. Nobody also took 3s, KG played mostly as a facilitator and a face up mid range scorer. On defense, KG didn't really rotate on the perimeter cuz switch defense wasn't invented yet, his teams played "funnel" defense basically his teammates would try to filter the opponents down the middle towards him and he'd either stop them or force them to make contested mid range jumpers.

Chet plays in the modern era unlike KG who basically took long 2s every other possession Chet is an analytical darling he barely takes long 2s he does most of his damage on the fast break, in the post or from 3. On defense their center Timme (?) is the anchor or funnel Chet mostly plays switch on the perimeter.

But its kinda hard to talk about Chet right now cuz he is on a god tear with a record breaking 73% TS and 46% from 3 in college. He can basically score whenever he wants so let's wait for him to cool down and go back to the mean before we can do any meaningful analysis cuz he is hitting on almost every shot he takes right now.

13. H. Christopher

Paolo dropping fast in some mocks lol

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chet absorbs contact very well.

Especially against his lower body, which is surprising.

15. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Hi everyone. Chet hits one-legged faders. That's all.

Video's time-stamped, so.... just click play and behold.

Shot is unstoppable. Please let him be a Rocket come next year.

16. War Machine

War Machine Member

17. Rockets4Life13

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yes, once Chet gains weight/strength he can possibly become a two way nightmare.

There are absolutely no guarantees in the draft, there are safer picks, anyone can bust, but his combined potential on both sides of the ball is excellent.

Don't let his frame fool you, he's not soft and might possibly have a killer instinct but I need to see more.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Holmgren at times shows he needs to improve his handles when he is being defended by a guard, but that is expected. He also sometimes leans in too much defensively against a shooter.

Having said that, it is really looking like he is just an elite shooter.

He is up to 47% from 3 on the year and he takes a lot of them.... Since December he is shooting an amazing 54% on 3 point shots.... he is over 80% from the line since December and is shooting 73% from 2....

with his wingspan he is going to get a 3 point shot just about anytime he wants it. He has shown the ability to come up and hit 3's as the trailer.

He needs to improve from the corners as a three point shooter, but from the top of the key is very elite.

He really looks like the best prospect in this draft, and should go number one unless a team is concerned of injuries. He doesn't have a history of injuries but with his frame, there may be some teams concerned.

He is likely going to end up like Bill Walton or Aryvidas Sabonis, where he can still contribute at an old age with limited mobility because his skill set and instincts are so high. While he doesn't pass from the post as often as someone like Jokic, he does the inverse and passes extremely well from the perimeter. I will be curious to see how he handles getting banged in transition. Right now because of his size players are just trying to stay in front of him.

I did have a retired scout tell me that he reminds him a lot of Ralph Sampson. On the face of the comment it may not sounds so great because Ralph's career ended poorly, but from a talent perspective that is a major compliment to Chet - if not for injuries and a questionable work ethic, Ralph would have been a top 15 player all time.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chet is our pick if we can get him.

DD

treyk3 and i3artow i3aller like this.