1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chemistry Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Sep 16, 2008.

1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I apologize for asking for something this trivial when real life events have occured a few days ago but I have stumped off and on for the last couple of hours on this problem:

What would be the final temperature, in degrees celsius, of a 45.2g sample of water if 19.56 kJ of heat was added to the sample? The inital T of the water is 25.00 degrees celsius.

I appreciate any help.

2. franchise403

Apparently I have lost the ability to proofread as well so I apologize for the incoherent sentences. I guess you can tell that I am not an english major :p .

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

always remember, Q = MC/\T

Specific heat of water = 4.186 joule/gram

Q= (4.52g)(19.56kJ)(T_final - T_initial)

4.186 J/g = (4.52g)(19560 J)(T_f - 25)

figure out how to manipulate tha rest, im too lazy. but I might be wrong, theres always some master genius of the world on here that will correct me.

4. sook

sook Rookie

haha nice, ^^^^^^ above answered it but i took AP Chem in HS, you taking it in college? It has the hardest AP exam btw

5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

dont forget to convert kj to j

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the final T would be 128 or so from the equation, but that would take it to 100 degrees celsius, at which point a little bit boils, uses up the remaining heat, and it stays at 100 C. unless i or the question missed a decimal.

7. franchise403

I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this question. I guess I am just at my wit's end with two other tests to contend with. Thanks for the help.

8. Omer

Omer Member

Latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat is uses once it gets to 100deg but before it starts boiling.

After the latent heat has been fulfilled, the temperature will continue to rise.

Btw, AP Calc exam is definitely harder than AP Chem.

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

The boiling point of water is dependent on pressure, since one wasn't given I wouldn't factor any phase change effect.