1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Jones Fan Club

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by I h8 Logos, Oct 10, 2002.

1. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

I was just thinking that I haven't heard what Ol' Charles Jones is up to these days? He was a catylist for the Rockets back in the day, and when he "retired" repeatedly, Rudy would always call him up when he needed another big man. He's gotta be the GREATEST ROCKETS (benchwarmer) OF ALL TIME.
    He had a great shot, well each 15th game he played in at least. His defense was intimidating, if you wanna call it that. He was the MVP of garbage time.

The guy looked like he was older than 77-year-old-former-NBA-coach-now-ESPN-analyst Dr. Jack Ramsay.

I think we should bring Chuck back, it would be great.

But to be realistic, I think a Charles Jones Fan Club should be started. And the motto could be "A tribute to the thrice retired NBAer."

Well, it still needs work.

Maybe if not a fan club, then a fan site. That would be nice. How bout Clutch add a new link to official [current and former] Rocket player sites, provided there be any.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Is it true that Charles Jones is the only player in the NBA to ever have more fouls than field goals???

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

In his Rocket career he had 82 fouls and 37 field goal attempts. Still searching for his total career stats.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Absolutely. I was a big, big fan of CJ back in the day. I think I miss him more than anyone other than Hakeem and Clyde. Maybe Mario, I still have a bad taste in my mouth about his situation.

Unfortunately, most of the irony accolades are going to Chucky Brown, in all his glory and honor. (thanks, CBFC)

Oh well, I still love ya Chuck.

:)

6 points, 4 blocks....

"Charles Jones is on FIRE!!!"

Classic...

:D

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

nevermind damn

#6 Texas Stoke, Oct 10, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2002
  7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

8. jjc7329

jjc7329 Contributing Member

I once saw on Ebay somebody auctioning off a piece of the floor that was given to Charles Jones as a memorable piece. I think each player got one. Charles Jones had his on Ebay and I missed a chance to bid on it. I think in the end it went for around $80.00. A steal in my opinion. I'm still pissed that I didn't get a chance to bid on it. Charles Jones is one of the greatest Rockets of all time. Nobody could command no team coverage like CJ. Bill Walton summed it up best during one of our Finals appearances when he said "They aren't even guarding Charles Jones". Classic.

9. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Very very nice. :D Made my morning complete. I hope the other Jones brothers have their own sites. Does anyone know if any of the Jones brothers have any sons that play? Seems like out of all those guys, some offspring would come along by now.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait a minute here!

I'm a big fan of Charles Jones, but the greatest Rockets bench warmer ever?

To me at least Granville Waiters holds that honor. The guy's nickname was 'Granny'. He looked like he was 48 years old when he was 24, and when someone was asked about why he was on the team, the reply was something like..."Akeem, and Ralph need 7 footers to practice against."

I'll give Charles Jones all the props in the world, but "Granny" will always be the greatest to me.

12. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

thats kinda neat that 2 of the jones brothers wore #27 for the Rockets (caldwell was the other)

#12 I h8 Logos, Oct 10, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2002
  13. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Is he still alive?

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't know, CJ also looked close to double his age. he was what, 55?, but looked close to 93 or 94. scary.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What about scotty brooks?

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I luv charles jones. Man, remember our second championship, in a game against the suns i think, Charles joins did a reversal wrap around that just looked sooooo sweet and every one on the court was like what the h***, I was jumping up and down screaming and was like i didn't know he can do that.