1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley Insights on Blake Griffin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 220living, Apr 20, 2012.

1. 220living

220living Member

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2012/04/19/20120412_top5_inside_5.nba/

Don't know how to embed NBA videos. Well, anyway. Chuck basically is calling out Blake to develop go to offensive moves instead of expecting to dunk every time he has the ball. Then........ he talks about him NOT getting any help from teammates after getting fouled hard which is funny because half of the time Blake's teammates are on the ground acting like they got hit themselves lol. :grin:

Discuss.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would've thought Griffin's numbers would have gone up with CP3 as a teammate.

Griffin's a prima donna, sure, a punk, sure, but he does need to work on his offense and especially his free throws.

As far as no teammate coming to Griffin's defense, who knows? Griffin's on the deck so often, usually with a nice arm-flail, chin-snap yell to ensure the ref sees it (not that last night's foul needed it); their reaction time might have been stunted as a result. "Oh, he's down again; wait, is he getting up?"

3. 220living

220living Member

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. When you play with the same group of people for a period of time then you'll know whether they're flopping or not. Blake flops a lot so maybe that is why they aren't coming to his aide because they don't know if he is actually hurt by the fouls committed against him or just trying to draw a foul.

4. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Chris Paul's "ability to make teammates better" is overrated. There's a reason why he has accomplished just as much as Melo. Only once gone out of 1st round

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think he's a punk or a prima donna. He's just not as dynamic of a basketball player as people like to think. Like I've said before, replace Griffin with Scola on that team and they'd still have close to the same record. Maybe 2-4 more losses.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He carried the hornets to the 2nd round. He is a top 5 player in the league. Melo is a top 10 player.

7. what

what Member

griffin is learning how NOT to play, playing with chris paul. Whining about every call, flopping and then always trying to posterize dunk on everybody. He is going to be a hated player. He and the clips are the new jazz.

8. 220living

220living Member

So Blake is all athleticism and no fundamental skills? Yeah. I would think so. He is still a project. Not the finished product yet so I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop new offensive post game during the off season. Free throws too.

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Its the other way around. Melo is top 5 and CP3 is top 10

He beat a Dallas squad that was the epitome of choke city. Other than that he hasn't done anything in the playoffs

Melo beat Dallas AND Chris Paul's Hornets.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I would say Melo is a top 10 and Chris is a top 10 but neither are top 5 so there! :grin:

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Could be.

And I still say he's a bit of a punk. The way he preens over players that he dunks on. If he could just reeeeein that in a little.

12. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Charles Barkley and insight. Amusing :)

13. Mr. Space City

he really needs to learn how to shoot free throws.

he's a slasher that shoots 51% from the ft line.

he pretty much cancels his strength out with his free throw shooting.

14. 220living

220living Member

Hahaha I was trying to create a title and insight was the first thing thatcame into mind. Lol after I created the thread I thought it sounded strange associating Barkley with that word.

15. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Vinny Del Negro cant develop young players

Derrick Rose became MVP as soon as he left

Clips badly need Mike DamPhoney.. If they really wanna be called "Lob City"

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Bro look at the Hornets without Paul.. last season they took the Lakers to game 6 with a bunch of injuries and Paul was carrying the team. I hate Paul and the b**** way he plays but if you think his game changing ability is weak you're a fool. I mean the Clippers are actually 4th seed in playoffs..

17. ling ling

ling ling Member

when you develop such a great flop game, you can be easily stopped if the ref's don't give you the calls.

Griffin needs to stop working on his flops and start working on his basketball skills.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There's a case to be made that premiere point guards DON'T win championships. Steve Nash 2x MVP has never been to the Finals. (Eyes are on Derrick Rose). Its still a Bigs + Wings league until the "Rise of the Point Guard" results in titles.

STILL, Chris Paul has DEFINITELY made the Clippers TEAM a better offensive unit.

Last year the Clippers were #22 in offensive rating. This year they're #3. Don't have to get all into the validity of advanced stats, we know that is GREAT improvement.

Chris Paul is the anti-Nash in that unlike Nash who plays uptempo pace, Paul plays a slooooow pace. Blake Griffin is shooting a tad better from the field this year, but needs more work in a half-court game besides going for lobs and dunks (And definitely needs to be a better DEFENDER).

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Agreed on both. Loved how he called out DeAndre saying he "does nothing anyway".

So when Griffin gets fouled like that some one should come running in and give the perpetrator a solid hard push to the chest.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Barkley was dead on with his comments on Deandre Jordan, who has exploded this year to become an 8/8 player vs. 7/7 last year. DJ will flatline his entire career. The guy is also not very bright.

Regarding Griffin's skills, I'm surprised by his year-over-year decline in productivity. He seemed like a very hard worker and I expected him to reach another level after having a season to gauge himself. Until he develops a mid-range shooting touch and a better FT%, Griffin will never become a "go to" guy that can close games out.

I expect K-Mart to retaliate eventually in Griffin's behalf. But maybe his teammates are tired of Blake's acting career like the rest of us.