1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles Barkley could help Chuck with his post game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Barkley is a more explosive and has a reach/wing span advantage, but is probably about 1/2" shorter than Chuck. But imagine Chuck Wagon with a Prime Charles Barkley low post game. Both Chucks can sympathize with an approach taking account their lack of height.

2. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

charles low post game wasn't that great in comparison to his rebounding, vision, and running during the breaks.

when charles came to houston his post game wasnt great at all.

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I don't know if Barkley has ever mentored a player.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

For a 6'4" to dunk the way Barkley did in his Philly and Phoenix days while backing down 6'10 - 7'0 guys... He was an extraordinary specimen..

5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Barkley was a great leaper. Hayes is earth bound. I don't think Hayes has the physical gifts to emulate Barkley.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The next aspect of Chuck's game I'd want him to work on is a nice 10-15 foot jumper. He has decent post moves, not great but good enough. IF he can develop a nice jump shot, he could pull some of his defenders out a bit leaving the paint a bit more exposed.

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

dunking isnt going to be an attribute no matter who works with hayes.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

At his peak (i.e., when he weighed less than 250 lbs), Charles Barkley was more gifted than any PF to ever play the game. I mean that.

That said, he didn't make up for his lack of height with great post moves or footwork, but with explosive athleticism, power and the ability to drive the ball to the basket.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Barkley: I am a basketball player. I am not a role model. I am not paid to be a role model ...

10. conquistador#11

Agreed. If he develops a jumpshot, he will be deadly. He will be our Vlade Divac, only shorter and with less theatrics.

11. Prince

Prince Member

Chuck is always active, he practicing and competing with Brad and Bud on 3pt shooting.

But I don't think he needs that. He already is doing what he's supposed to do. If he does jump shooting, that means he's nowhere near teh ring to do what he does best, rebounding.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I didn't mean become a jump shooter, but just develop a jump shot. Right now, when he gets it at the top of the key one of three things happen...either he passes it to the perimeter, makes a pass to a cutter or drives to the hoop.

If he develops a jump shot, the defender doesn't need to slack off him and instead must cover him a little tighter. It opens up the lanes for more oppurtunities to cut and could allow him to drive to the hoop a bit more. Just make the defender account for something else and not just assume Chuck won't take a wide open 15 foot jumper.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Whoever worked with Chuck from last year to this did an amazing job. He definitely is one of the most improved players in the league. He does it all and he's at a disadvantage every single game.

I was always used to a Chuck Hayes that missed at least 1-2 simple layups a game. Now we have a Chuck that is making left handed reverse layups with ease. Not to mention his free throws are no longer the butt of everyones jokes. I know he probably got some coaching but at the end of the day he has worked his rear end off to improve literally every aspect of his game this year.

He should definitely be in the talks for Most Improved Player.

When you become relevant in fantasy basketball you have officially made it :)

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You guys think when Hayes retires he'll get all Chunky and get well over 300lbs? Because that would be "Just Turrible" wouldn't? lol

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Chuck has been getting better every year. That is a sign to me of incredibly hard work.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

guys...

he is not a role model

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

While there might not be anything from his post game that he could teach, it was hardly terrible. Rudy T said that a Barkley post was the most efficient play he ran, IIRC. Charles had great control of his man, excellent feel of when the double was coming, and superior vision and passing skills to hit the open man. He had to be doubled consistently in the post, which kind of destroys the notion that his post game wasn't great. The fact that it didn't rely on fancy moves does not make it bad.

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

Hayes needs to go jump the fence Barkley used to jump. Get those kangaroo like hops.

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I do not want Chuck Hayes out on the perimeter shooting threes.

He had this habit before the 5 second rule too.