1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers stadium vote fails, opens door for move to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Of course SD cares. Same thing was said of us when we lost the Oilers. Houston cared. Many of us still do.
    Luv Ya Blue!

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What a strange plan...playing in such a relatively small stadium. Supply and demand will certainly rule, likely making the ticket prices even more expensive than they currently are. I get they want to separate themselves from the Rams until the new stadium is ready.

Sucks for the fans in SD but I don't blame them for not shelling out to build another stadium. I think the NFL and the Chargers could've come up with a plan to fund the stadium.

Not that they care, but it also sucks for the LA Galaxy. It's going to affect recruiting efforts when they're going to have to play 2-3 months of their season on a field with football lines and damage from overuse. If you don't think that makes a difference to the high-dollar players they go after, you'd be wrong.

They also keep saying, "the true fans will still be able to attend games..." I was a true fan of the Oilers before they left. Yes, Nashville is a lot further from Houston than SD is from LA but once they made the decision to leave my city, I was no longer a fan. I'd imagine A LOT of those "true fans" will cease to exist, too.

#63 leroy, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

The NFL has been looking for any excuse to get a team to LA since 1999, now they have 2 again, 20 years from now those same S*** head owners will threatened to leave again,

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently the hate SD has for Spanos is worse than Houston had for Bud Adams.
    Spanos has been trying to get a new stadium for 15 years.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe it had to do with no social media, but I don't remember many people caring about the Oilers when they left, as crazy as that sounds to say now.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You have a bad memory. :)

8. tinman

Supporting Member

As a fellow 99er, I'm all for nostalgia, but the Astrodome has to go. It's pointless like a car without AC.

Just because people hated Bud doesn't mean he was wrong for wanting a new stadium.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It wasn't that they didn't care. It's that they ran out of care.

Yearly demands from Bud Adams for a new stadium (despite still financing the last dome upgrades) and threatening to leave, coupled with repeated kicks to the groin and underachievement basically killed Houston's future with the Oilers.

No fan base could have withstood that.

The Oilers' demise was a long and painful one.... it didn't happen overnight like many of these other breakups do now.

Prior to 1996, people cared a lot.

1992 - The beginning of the end (Buffalo OT fail)
    1993 - The ultimate backbreaker (Montana's Chiefs fail)
    1994 - Team disbanded, 2-14 record
    1995 - Bud promises to relocate amidst a lost, mediocre season
    1996 - With one foot out the door, the Oilers set NFL record lows for attendance
    1997 - The Fightin' Tennesee Thumbtacks are born

That is like a one of those craps where no matter how many times you wipe, there's still poop.

#69 DonnyMost, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg and Nook like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

San Diego has had Qualcomm for a long time. It's even older than Qualcomm flip phones.

11. Poloshirtbandit

They got rid of most of the popular players and the team was terrible at the time they moved. We were too busy distracted by the Rockets winning at the time to care.

12. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

When Bud gutted that team while asking for public funds it was over.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Rams returning makes complete sense. They have a tremendous amount of history in Los Angeles that goes back to 1946. Also, the Charger's stadium is 40 years old so I think it's completely reasonable that they need a new stadium. I don't believe it's possible for that stadium to be privately financed in that market unless you can get multiple billionaires who can join forces but then they also split revenue which makes the return a lot less. The San Diego owner has about 1/3 the amount of wealth that the Rams owner has. They have also been trying to get a stadium financed for the last 7 years so I feel like they've put In a reasonable amount of effort. It is what it is.

At least they can stay they are selling out their games and can make sure they are on TV. It will be a lot harder for them to build a following in LA. Wins solve a lot of problems though. There doesn't seem to be an official word about if they are going to keep their name.

The Oilers were 6-2 on the road and 2-6 when playing in front of less than 20,000 people.

14. Poloshirtbandit

My bad I'm thinking of the year before they got McNair.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cities get no economic benefit from stadiums especially football stadiums. There are multiple studies that show this. Its pretty much government giving a bunch of billionaires free money. Its a public/private partnership where the public pays all the money and the owner makes all the money.

Yaosthirdleg and MadMax like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Let's never forget that it was former Rockets GM, Steve Patterson who engineered the city of Houston to get a football team and stadium again.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And he also shat on UT. Truly a great Houstonian.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

The stadium is nice, we can drink and eat top notch buffets.

every 99er knows that Steve was the architect of clutch city. don't deny your dna.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Does not matter. This is the ultimate "kiss my white shiny ass!" to all those loyal fans who have supported this team for 55 years. There's NO way Chargers fans would drive up to LA after this insult. It would be akin to the Oilers leaving Houston for Austin and expecting their fanbase to follow them. Ain't gonna happen.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Rams moving back to LA makes sense when you factor in their previous history with the city plus the fact that Stan Kroenke is paying for the new stadium out of his own pocket. Spanos doesn't have that kind of coin plus he had 15 years to come up with a stadium plan that could have worked. That Nov stadium referendum was doomed to fail and that SOB knew it. The NFL had already (reluctantly) agreed to give him $300M for a new stadium with the city/county offering around another $300M which still left him approx. $600M short. It will be great fun watching this slow motion train wreck unfold. Spanos is moving his team to an area where it has no fanbase - an area with 2 MLB teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 major college teams, 1 MLS team with another on the way in 2018, 1 NHL team and 1 WNBA team. And let's not forget about the other entertainment venues in the Los Angeles area. Exactly who is going to attend Chargers games? Not the folks in San Diego that's for sure. When the Rams moved back to LA, the original thinking amongst the NFL owners was that LA could support two NFL franchises. But after seeing how the attendance and interest in the Rams plummeted when their season cratered, only a very few of them still hold that belief. Truth be told, the NFL really wanted Spanos to work something out with San Diego and keep the team there. In my mind, this is Bud Adams all over again.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.