1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers, Raiders propose to share stadium in Carson, CA

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Bills have been trying to make themselves stick in the Toronto market forever, but it has never worked.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

St. Louis will attract attention (again)... and while I don't think the Raiders will end up in San Antonio, I do feel its a better overall market than Nashville.

The biggest issue with London, IMO, is not playing the actual games there... but where will the team practice/be based and where will its players live?

There have been ideas floated around that the team could practice in the US... and travel only for the games (which would allow the players to still keep a US residence)... but that would almost make it seem like the team is on a perpetual road trip during the actual season.

The NFL plans to have at least 5 games/year in the UK by 2018... with the eventuality that they get a full 8 games there... so it may not be that critical that he UK has its "own" team, provided they're still packing the house for these select games

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if it's true that Davis has land in New Braunsfels, that's Austin/San Antonio/Buda/New Braunsfels/San Marcos market.

I hope they kill the Texans and Cowboys at Schilterbaun Stadium.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think way too much has been extrapolated from this... yes, he bought land (which ensures he has a viable backup-backup option if Los Angeles AND Oakland fall through).

But land does not = funding for stadium which also doesn't = instant corporate/PSL support which most importantly does not = automatic 2/3rds majority NFL owner approval (which is a band of zany billionaires who like to play favorites/popularity contests, and also would cater more to Jones/McNair than to the family that sued all of them for years).

The Bay Area is actually growing quite a bit.... more and more people being pushed out of SF into Oakland and the surrounding areas. Would be pretty short-sighted to leave there (not to mention, its a historically loyal fan-base that has supported the team more-so than the team has deserved). They have to have a new stadium though... pound-for-pound, the Astrodome "as-is" right now could be on-par with what they have to endure at the Coliseum.

#164 Nick, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Doesn't matter if he has land. That doesn't really mean much in terms of them actually moving there, especially if Jerry Jones is going to have his way which he usually does.

I'd put more money on other spots getting the Raiders before San Antonio does.

Also as Nick alluded to this, the Bay Area is growing pretty rapidly. An established fan base exists in Oakland, and the team has been there for a long time if you include even before their move to LA.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

McCombs is confident

http://www.scout.com/nfl/vikings/story/1634019-mccombs-san-antonio-ready-to-roll-for-nfl

7. ItsMyFault

No McCombs is eager as he always is with anything that he wants. It's not up to him, he's just laying out the possibilities if Davis wanted to come. Even THEN, it would have to get approved by the NFL owners which again goes back to my point regarding Jones. It's not going to happen if he doesn't want it to, he has more power than people realize. I mean it was basically his idea to group the Chargers and Rams together in Inglewood because he supported the Inglewood plan except that plan only had the Rams.

The fans in San Antonio already have a fan base. Take this with a grain of salt because it's based off of google trends/searches. FiveThirtyEight did a bit of research on cities and how many NFL fans these cities had.

[​IMG]

Ultimately I think San Diego can be re-visited as an option if the Chargers decided to move. If they don't, then the Raiders have the option of going there. I think in both instances, those two are more likely than San Antonio at least right now. Things can change later, but the Raiders are looking to move pretty soon and Jerry has already implied that he isn't exactly for it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...nes-talks-on-raiders-meeting-with-san-antonio

I also think McNair would be against it. We have fans of the Texans there as well as Austin too.

#167 ItsMyFault, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm pretty aware that the Cowboys own San Antonio and most of Texas.
    I know the Texans have gained ground, but Jerry owns the state.

Texas deserves more than 2 teams, when New York and probably LA have 2 teams in one city.

9. ItsMyFault

I'm just talking about how realistic it is, not who deserves what. Right now, it seems like the unlikeliest thing.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

So the latest is that the Rams and Chargers will share a stadium in LA and the Raiders the go to SD? What a cluster fruk. The NFL should at least step in and let SD keep the Chargers name for the sake of the fans.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

link??

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Your Google broke?

13. ItsMyFault

14. tinman

Supporting Member

you need a link, it's the oldest clutchfans rule or else everyone can post random crap all over the place.

can you imagine that? people just posting stuff or making up stuff?

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah well that's why I said the latest, as in the latest hot take.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

someone posted a link for it

back to the subject.

this is so stupid if the raiders move to san diego and the chargers to LA

#176 tinman, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. Beavis Stiffler

It's a bittersweet feeling for the people in San Diego. I mean they will still have football games in their town but a division rival coming over is like if the Spurs move to Houston after the Rockets were relocated somewhere else. :confused:

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly, why would SD support a Raiders team that will more than likely up and move again in a couple years when they see greener grass?

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: Chargers, Rams reach agreement on sharing stadium in Inglewood <a href="https://t.co/gzrEsUtN23">https://t.co/gzrEsUtN23</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/693189485891293188">January 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

They should trade teams. The owners of the Raiders will get the Chargers team and move to San Diego and the owner of the Chargers will get the Raiders and move to LA. Win-Win