1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers, Raiders propose to share stadium in Carson, CA

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 19, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Chargers confirmed staying in SanDiego for next season

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So they agreed with Rams on Stadium use but the Owner says staying in San Diego and hopes to remain there? Confused

3. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Two possibilities

1. The Chargers announced the partnership with the Rams to try to scare San Diego into giving in for a new stadium.

2. The Chargers already know they are going to LA long term, and they can't get a temporarily stadium in LA for 2016 so they have to pretend like they are working it out with San Diego so fans will show up

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Leverage.

If SD wants to keep the Chargers, they have to approve the new stadium vote this summer... if not, they're as good as gone.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

For the 2016 season, they're still using it as leverage to stay in San Diego maybe. They still have another year to decide if they want to move to LA. If they decide not to move, the Raiders will have their chance to move which I'm sure they will happily take.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Chargers, NFL offer to pay $650 million of $1 billion stadium

The Chargers want to stay in San Diego, in a new stadium that will cost $1 billion. And they want a hotel tax to provide $350 million of that.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chargers’ plan for a new stadium would entail the team and the NFL paying $650 million, and a 4 percent increase in the hotel tax to provide the other $350 million for the total $1 billion cost of a new stadium.

Under the proposal, the Chargers would keep game-day revenue and sign a lease of at least 30 years, while San Diego would get revenues from other events that take place at the stadium.

By the standards of new NFL stadiums, that’s a fairly good deal for the community: Usually it’s the taxpayers who foot the bulk of the bill, whereas in this case the taxpayers (out-of-town taxpayers visiting and staying in hotels) will only pay about one-third of the costs.

However, there seems to be a strong sentiment in San Diego that the taxpayers shouldn’t pay anything. And if San Diego doesn’t agree with the $350 million hotel tax hike, this plan is going nowhere. In that scenario the Chargers would be going somewhere, likely north to share a stadium with the Rams in Los Angeles.[/rQUOTEr]

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a surprisingly fair deal for the county, with what other teams have lobbied for in their stadium deals. Considering some owners feel stadiums should be fully tax payer funded with little revenue sharing, this is a lower cost deal for the county than I would have expected. Not saying they should or even will pass it, just that the Chargers are not asking for near what I expected them to ask for.

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

There was also a recent court ruling that they would only have to get a 50% vote to pass funding from the community versus the 2/3 vote that most thought was required by California law. The state supreme court may still have a say on that.

If it is a 2/3 vote required, there is virtually no chance of anything getting passed here. I think a 50/50 vote and they actually have a shot, especially with a good deal.

So many folks just have their feelings hurt by the fact that the Chargers wanted to leave, they will have to get over that to even vote for a good deal.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope San Diego tells them to screw themselves.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All NFL teams can afford to build it themselves... but why would they if there's always a city offering to do some of it for them?

Unfortunately, its not personal... its business... and the teams that stick with that end up moving (and in some cases, like the Oilers, it turns out to be a worse decision for that team... Oilers/Titans franchise value would be more in Houston right now).

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Did you hope Harris County told Mcclain and Les Alexander to screw themselves?

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Really wish government would stop funding the massive businesses. I can't blame taxpayers for passing them, as it is too easy to agree to a tax primarily on visitors, not residents, but it still sucks.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Go F yourself, San Diego.

R. Burgundy

14. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

When I was a teenager and in my early 20s and didn't care about how tax money was spent I wanted the teams to stay no matter what.

As a 37 year old who has to pay taxes and understands how overrated having sports franchises are, they can all screw themselves. I love all the Houston teams but I would be against spending any public money on new stadiums for any Houston team. If they move, so be it. The older I get, the less important sports become.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but there's nothing really to stop the cycle.

If a city puts its foot down and the franchise leaves... the same city seems to double its effort (and possibly its tax burden) in order to get another team back there. Seattle is more than ready to welcome back an NBA team... Houston was more than ready to welcome the NFL back. If SD loses the Chargers, they'll scrap together a plan as soon as any potential NFL team becomes available.

Sports teams are important to cities.... even though its a superficial entity, it is valued by a significant part of the population (especially when things are going well). I've yet to see a city not regret losing the team (albeit till they get another team... then they tell the original franchise to go f themselves).

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The buy bidding to bring a team to Seattle is using 100% private money to build the arena, used private money to even buy the land.

The city of Seattle isn't spending anything. Houston knows how to kiss big business ass I'll give you that. The Dome is still being paid for even after the Oilers left.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That is the case now (with no team close to coming)...However, if the only thing standing between a team definitely going back to Seattle was public money... do you think the city would be as stringent?

I'm sure they're loving watching Kevin Durant in OKC on a nightly basis.... I'm sure they were on the edge of their seats in the OKC-Miami finals.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

All in the game yo

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Not sure what you are doing on a Rockets board. If you had your way, the NFL would not be in Houston, The Astros would be in Northern Virginia / D.C and the Rockets would be in Memphis. I know you might say, "Well that never would have happened." and you would have been right because the public would approve to build those buildings because of the value of having a sports team to follow. It's worth noting that the first Rockets vote failed. Also worth noting that the Texans franchise was initially given to L.A. They should couldn't get their stuff together and Bob McNair put up 700 million dollars to get it back.

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

And how would your life be affected if Houston had no pro team? I'm more concerned about taking care of my family and less worried about spending hundreds of millions to make billionaires who don't give a crap about you richer.

Great the Texans are worth over a billion. Is that solving the crime issues? Is houstons quality of life better because bob McNair has billions and he charges thousands of dollars for people to watch 8 home games a year?