1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Channel 11 (khou) News in HD!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets007, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

During the Patriots Vs. Colts game, Khou ran a spot that starting Superbowl Sunday, they will start broadcasting their news in HD!! It's about time one of the stations in Houston started doing this. Alot of other cities have had their news in HD for a while now!!

2. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I saw this too. Pretty sweet! I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but channel 13 has some outisde weather cam in HD. They flash to it when going to commericals.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I was wondering this same thing for a couple of weeks as well. :(

Some people should NOT be on HD. :eek: *cough*MARVIN_ZINDLER*cough*. "uhggggghhhh..." - Homer

Tell me which cities, please. :confused:

4. Rockets007

Cities like Atlanta, Raleigh, Cleveland, Seattle, DC, Salt Lake City, LA Etc

Check out the following thread on avsforum.com listing cities with news in HD!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=639872

5. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

The only thing that will be in actual HD quality (for now) will be the in studio stuff. The news and sports highlights you see will still be the same.

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

7. SwoLy-D

shoot, RocketFan007... I thought you had already SEEN the actual broadcast. :(

HillTopper, what if their on-location cameras were also HD... meaning their reports COULD also be in HD?

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

WFAA is supposed to begin broadcasting their news in HD sometime soon.

ABC channel 8 in up here in dallas.

9. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

Yes, eventually that will happen with all of the stations in town. I know for a fact that KHOU won't have HD cameras in the field for awhile, but they are moving in that direction as are the other stations.

What will happen is many of the stations will start shooting in widescreen (16x9) format. I think 11 will be first with ch 2 following soon. I think that will happen this year, sooner than later.

10. Rockets007

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It's not about HD. It's about what we won't be seeing in HD.

:(

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think the Dallas stations are in HD...this is great for hot chicks, and not so great for the older, not so hot...

13. Rockets007

Khou had their 10pm news in HD last night. Only caught a few minutes of it, looked pretty good!

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So, to ask a dumb question, does that mean it was in full screen. Meaning, it didn't have the Black bars on the sides...

Maybe this was why Lisa left...

15. SwoLy-D

While watching the Fakers vs. Spurts game on ABC HD, I noticed they switched over to the CHOPPER camera that was on HD. The distance was huge, and the camera could still focus in on the smoke and the pipes looked clean. It was in WIDESCREEN 16:9 format. The sound, however, was still the NBA game's reception :confused: . That was weird.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

los angeles has their abc affiliate in HD so far its the only local news station out here in HD. its really nice the only problem is that I was thinking/expecting their on location cameras to be in HD as well but at least last time I saw its just the in studio stuff shot in HD.

still good presentation I've got that HDNEWS channel with dish network anyway

17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Anything that isn't in HD has blue bars on the side. I just watched the opening of the 5PM news and it was jumping back and forth between bars and full. It does look much better though.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

kinda like espnhd?

19. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Exactly like that.

20. SwoLy-D

BUMP

Watching KHOU Channel 11 on HD RIGHT NOW. :eek:

In-Studio, on-location, interviews, chopper feeds... all in HD, 16:9 format... except for the traffic cameras and maps on-screen... those have BLUE bands to complete the 16:9 format from 4:3 format. :cool: COOL STUFF.

Damn you, KHOU... why'd you let go of Lisa Foronda...? :(