1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changing Carmelo Anthony's Shot Selection for the Rockets offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I know Carmelo isn't as good as he used to be. What I'm saying is he's not as bad as people are making him out to be. And their are mid range shots where he can get the ball in his comfort zone and do what he's best at and then their are the majority of his shots in OKC which were see the ball catch the ball shoot the ball. That's not really the best part of his game. I assume the Rockets will be better at playing to his strengths then they were in OKC Melo is a 3rd option at best on this team anyway. Only now he's with better players.

2. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

And I think that's another part that's not talked about as much. Everyone's talking about CP3 and Harden but D'Antoni can draw something out that can really mix things up. Could be an even more fun offense to watch this season.

hakeem94 and mike2k132 like this.
  3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I agree he has alot to play with. I seriously believe thisbwill be tye mosy dynamic offense we have ever had. I predict alot of 4th quarters melo harden cp3 n capella dont even play. Im excited to watch. Hell so excited i cant wait till 2k comes out

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

NYC is the red herring. My target here is Westbrook, aka the Wrong Side of History.

Carmelo Anthony. Victor Oladipo. Enes Kanter. Domantas Sabonis. Reggie Jackson.

James Harden.

If Carmelo gets better post-OKC, look for this angle to pop back up.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

When Carmelo was taking the shots that he likes in his comfort zone that years ago propelled him to be an elite scorer, he was bad last season. I'm not talking about the shots which rely on a good pass from your PG. Not talking about 3pt shots. I'm talking about specifically the kind of shot he likes: receive the ball in midrange one on one. He was not good at those shots. And he took a lot of them.

He's with better players now. But the people around you don't matter if you iso dribble in mid range and are not a threat to attack the basket. So what I'm saying is he needs to just cut that out except in rare circumstances.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No doubt Westbrook is not the easiest team mate to play with and he has never had to play as the second or third fiddle.

Durant, WB, Harden, Ibaka was a good team, championship caliber if they kept them together longer.

WB, PG and aging Melo was a bad bad fit.

Now Melo IMO was just not No. 1 material in terms of elite No. 1s.

WB and Harden are better ones. Harden obviously is the best player among them, but WB's tenacity and enthuasiam for the game is outmatched IMHO.

He happens to want the game too much to be his.

7. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Question for the Melo fans out there who have watched him play a lot more than me:

How likely do you think it is that Melo becomes a catch and act player?

From my (limited) experience watching him, he seems to want to catch and slow the game down. If he can catch and immediately shoot or drive, I think his efficiency with the Rockets can skyrocket.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

He's not far off, but Jordan, Dirk, Bird, Kobe, Paul, Gervin, English, Mullin, Aguirre. Rip has an argument as while he was not as high volume a scorer overall from mid-range alone, he was. So no, I wouldn't say he's clearly top 5, and there are likely guys I'm not thinking of like Rick Barry, Jerry West.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean...I can name 5 scorers today that are better right now at midrange? Will that suffice?

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

If he comes in and willingly accepts the role proposed in this article, he will revive his career and perception around the league. He still won't be a great defender, and I think he should always be option #3 behind whatever combination of our two guards we have out there...but if he will be Olympic Melo, we got a steal.

That transition from star to role player is tough though. CP3 didn't really have to do it...he just went from being the #1 star on the team to co-starring. He still had the ball in his hands a ton, and he and Harden basically traded possessions. Melo won't get that here...he will be off-ball frequently. I think of him as a more dynamic Ryno. Shoot the 3 without hesitation, or pump and drive/kick. Maybe integrate some of his playmaking with Capela (4/5 PnR). Beyond that, he should be a role player, and with less responsibility on offense, hopefully he can engage more on D, similar to what Harden did last year.

12. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

Nope, we were talking all time. Prime Melo jab step = deadly. He could get separation from anyone literally. No defence for that.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Do not try to change Melo, don't try to fit him into a role, unlock him. He's top 10 talent. And we need him there.

14. Chamillionaire

The reason why MELO is gonna have a great year.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance