1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changing Carmelo Anthony's Shot Selection for the Rockets offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I just don't see Carmelo going off the reservation in the Rockets system. I mean, there is a system in place that CP & Harden and everyone else has success in. They have data and charts to back up the success. You can bet they will use that data to encourage Melo to adjust his game. And when he deviates, you can bet the Rockets will have the same data showing why that deviation is not working.

OKC's system was Westbrook being a bull in a china shop. The Rockets are more refined.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]

slothy420 and harold bingo like this.
  3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

If Melo is willing to come off the bench and lead the 2nd unit, then this will pay huge dividends.

Imagine a line up of...

Paul
    Gordon
    Green
    Melo
    Nene

... going up against the opponent's 2nd unit defense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That's a lot of quick and easy offensive production for the Rockets.

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  4. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

I don't know if you are referring to me saying that he'll shot more that 5% from Midrane, but I'll answer anyway... There is a reason CP3 shoot 22% from the midrange last season and not 5 or 10 , and the reason is - He's good at it.

CP3 will start but I see his name also in that bench unit... That means Melo can start but play majority of minutes with CP3 against opponent's second units.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I doubt you will see a front court of Green and Melo. Either Ennis or Tucker will be in there for defense coupled with Melo or Green.

But yeah, second units with CP+Gordon+Melo should wreck teams in the regular season.

saleem and da_juice like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wasn't referring to you. I would have tagged you. Just making a broad statement.

I am not really worried about "mid range" vs non-midrange. I don't think the Rockets are either really. It is more about efficiency. And they will have the data to support it.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

double or nothing for tomorrow. BOOK IT!!

topfive likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Carmelo can iso and create his own shot, and also catch and shoot.
    Chris will be very good for him. Harden will also pass the ball to Carmelo. Playing off the ball at times will be difficult for James, but I believe he will be able to make some adjustments there too. Harden just needs to know that Carmelo will pass the ball to him too.

Carmelo has good court vision. He should score and pass. I think MDA will realize he doesn't have to overemphasize relying on only 3's.

Defense is the real concern here though. Can Jeff Bzdelik help Carmelo to become a useful defender?

D-rock likes this.
  9. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Melo will see more open shots with this team than he ever has in his life...he is not the primary or secondary scorer and will be working with 2 of the best in the league at setting up teammates. I predict he will have a 2 man game with Paul that is almost as efficient and the Harden-Capela PNR. I think he could also develop good chemistry with Harden. Carmelo is a good shooter, without the best shot selection, but he will be put in a position to succeed and be spoon fed easy buckets like all the other Rockets. I think he will be able to convert and at times take over and hit the harder contested shots. Its much easier to hit the hard shots when you get into a rhythm from open looks.

slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  10. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Melo didn't have bad shot selection last year. I watched all of those games. All he was allowed to do was shoot 3's on the trail. It's like asking Jabbar to camp out at the 3 point line and never shoot a hook shot.

11. hakeemthagreat

I think Melo's problem is he's a rhythm shooter not a fundamentally sound shooter. He'll have to adjust because his looks will be sporadic the way we play. Does anybody know if we have in-house shooting coaches? Hopefully they can help him adjust his shooting form

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He’s been working out on and off for the better part of a month with CP3 (I think Harden was even in a few workouts)

I’m sure CP3 has already run down the offense and Melo is aware that he’s going to be called upon as a 3pt assassin

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is obviously not true given we all just read an article telling us he took 39% of his shots from midrange.

Also, catch and shoot 3's are important when you're no longer an offensive centerpiece. He was more efficient at those shots than he was at midrange. So if anything, give him more of those.

glenadyll likes this.
  14. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

Instead of mid-range I think we will see some of Melo in the post. The 1/4 CP3/Melo pick and roll if they switch I could see CP3 telling Melo to get into the post. Houston does very very very little of that I think that is a option that Melo can bring to the table.

mike2k132 likes this.
  15. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I can see his post game really lifting the team if 3s just aren't dropping. Once help comes it'll open a lot of lanes to cut

16. HP3

HP3 Member

This article actually makes me alot more enthusiastic about signing Melo.

Also side note, I told you people Harden is not efficient from mid range.

Williamson and Swiss Roll like this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Thats why i would like to see gordan in there with him when we have cp3 n melo in second unit. So when the get the 1 4 switch n they decide to double gordan is a excellent cutter n 3 point shooter. I think we need to think of things melo can do n stop trying to harping on things he cant do. I think thats what great coaches do. Tell me your strengths

Cash Cam likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'd rather change Carmelo Anthony into Jimmy Butler.

19. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

"Was" is the correct word here. He's not an elite scorer anymore and hasn't been for about 4 or 5 seasons which was his whole problem. What he needs to learn now is how to use his tools to still be a good and efficient scorer, but the elite scorer Melo was last seen during the 13-14 NBA season.

If he doesn't fight the system, he can do just that

20. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Top 5 ever? I don't know about that at all, but it would still be him in his prime, and the problem is that some people still keep talking about his current skills as if they are the same as his prime. The reason his mid-range game was a great tool in his prime is that it set him up to get to the basket and to the line. The mid-range shots themselves weren't the best end, he's not Dirk or Jordan as a mid-range shooter, and even for those guys they needed the other aspects to complete their games. It was everything else that his mid-range allowed him to generate, and the whole scoring package that was the value.

Carmelo now can't generate the basket shots or the FTA's through his mid-range game like he used to, which now just makes his mid-range shots a feast of inefficiency. If he's taking 15 FGA/G, no more than 2 FGA/G should be mid-range, there's just no point in the Rockets offense. Their goal isn't to maximize Carmelo's PPG, it's to maximize the team