1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chances of getting Nachbar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tozai, Jun 24, 2002.

1. tozai

tozai Member

Okay I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go top 7 so let's look at #8-#14

8-Clippers:This might be traded on draft day, but it's likely they'd not pick another 3 with Miles & Odom. Most people are saying they'd get Borchardt or Nene

9-Phoenix: Most have been saying they covet Nene or Jared Jeffries. I don't know why they'd pick a 3 with Marion, Hardaway and Johnson

10-Miami:possibly Qyntel Woods, Dajuan Wagner, ESPN had Borchardt. Do they need a 3?

11-Wash:This is our major concern. They're getting Nachbar to workout a second time. Jordan doesn't really like getting a Euro player, but Nachbar obviously appeals to them.

12-Clippers:Stoudemire should be taken by them unless some trade happens

13-Bucks:They need a post-player, already have enough shooters, very unlikely

14-Pacers:Has Nachbar worked out for them? From many sources Kareem Rush is almost certain

Utah, Toronto, and ATL watched Nachbar play...None of them are picking ahead of us and I doubt any of them are making deals except maybe ATL...So it looks like unless Washington takes Nachbar or some trade happens we should get him. Stoudemire is pretty certain to be gone. Woods could fall to us but if his workout with Washington looks good he probably will help our cause or maybe end up at Miami. Prince isn't even being considered by anyone above the Rockets. Conclusion is we can get Nachbar if Washington likes Woods and Pacers truly are taking Rush...So our chances do look pretty good

2. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

With Woods losing ground and Nachbar moving up we will probably have to move up to get him. I heard that his practice with the Rockets went very well, and he would be a great 3 for them.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't think we should move up at all. The only threat to take Nachbar is Washington. If they did pick him, that means someone pretty good would be falling. I say we should just pick whoever it is falling or we coudl even trade down to take Tayshaun Prince. I think Prince will be a sleeper in this draft and he would fit in pretty well with the Rockets but I hope we don't waste our 15 on him.

4. tozai

tozai Member

It looks like Stoudemire will not be there at 15 so it'll either be Woods or Nachbar. Worst case scenario would be Washington taking Nachbar and Miami taking Woods and us wasting 15 on Prince. I have a feeling Miami might take Wagner though, and Washington taking Woods

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There is only one uncertainty that I can see regarding the #15. If Nachbar is picked early it will push someone else down. Because of their talent, I'll be happy if it is Woods, Rush, Wagner, Stoudamire, Jefferies, or whoever. But, what if it is Borchardt that falls (and he's slipping apparently)? If we already have Cato, Collier and now Yao Ming, we have absolutely no use for Borchardt.

I think this draft is 14 players deep from the Rockets point of view and the Rockets draft 15th. We could use everyone else projected above us based on either position, talent or potential. But, we must rely on someone taking the one guy we can't really use to push one of those 14 to us.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought I'd mention on Nachbar-He speaks pretty decent English.

Fox showed some clips of his workout-the guy has a sweetlooking stroke, and the ball hardly moves the net. I can really see how the guy has Peja comparisons.

I see these people as virtual locks to go before 15 (in no really particular order):

1.) Yao Ming
    2.) J-Will
    3.) Dunleavy
    4.) Butler
    5.) Tsika
    6.) Jared Jeffries
    7.) Drew Gooden
    8.) Chris Wilcox
    9.) Nene Hilario

That means 5 more guys must get picked before us, so let's list 6 player possibilities.

1.) Stoudemire is a super talent, that fills the toughman role
    2.) Q Woods is talent and need.
    3.) Nachbar is talent and need.
    4.) Borchardt is size, and skill. He has trade value.
    5.) D. Wagner is talented, I can't see him slipping past the Pacers, worst case scenario, likely lotto. Trade value here.
    6.) Kareem Rush is often pointed to the Pacers.

If Borchardt, Wagner, and Rush all go 14, which is more than likely, IMO, you get one of Amare, Q Woods, or Nachbar. That doesn't suck.

The only potential problems would be if Borchardt or Rush were your BPA at 15. Then you look at Welsch, or either Borchardt or Rush have pretty solid value-Rush is probably the #2 SG in the draft (Wagner), and Borchardt is a skilled 7 footer.

Then there's the possibility of Jiri Welsch, Marcus Haislip, or Dan Dickau slipping in there, which broadens your possibilities.

#6 NIKEstrad, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You forgot Melvin Ely who could also be picked ahead of us.

The worst case scenario would be if the Rockets reached and took Tayshon Prince. Please NO......

If Ely, Woods or Borchardt were to be taken, we would be in good shape.

Also, I thought it was reported that Jiri Welsh signed a deal with his European team.

He could be great pickup for some team that drafts in the low 20's that doesn't want to get stuck with a guaranteed contract for a scrub.