1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford and Coach David Thorpe talk Rookies!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Oct 29, 2021.

1. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Simply 2 of the best in the business @ breaking down young talent.

Here are some highlights with focus on the Rocket's rookies

-- Mobley and Scottie Barnes are favorites to win ROY. They have been able to slow down their approach to the high level and intensity of the NBA, and it has not only helped limit mistakes but made them look good since they are more cognizant.

- He said Şengün falls into this category, but that's because he's hesitant due to the style of US vs Euro ball. And that he's too unselfish.

- he loves duarte but reiterates he's 24 and alludes to him not being a typical rookie (thus out of ROY talk?)

- he thinks Şengün is a stud and that all the people who were saying he should go top 4-5 are now looking smart.

- on Jalen green .... They said he has a similar dynamic to that of Zach Lavine entering the league.

- green is very talented but doesn't understand how to utilize teammates. He said that he felt at worst, green would be a high efficiency scorer off the bench like Crawford.

- there is a similar dynamic between Green and Durant. And you just need green to get sick of taking bad shots before he learns not to take them. Durant had this issue for the first 4-5 years and now he's too unselfish.

- Green's athleticism is urneal but he's too physically weak

- We need to move on from KPJ as a primary creator because the experiment hurts Green.

- They believe coach Silas is amazing and the perfect coach for this situation going forward (that's, right haters)

I will update as i listen again

#1 ickaruto, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    D-rock, DeBeards, Amel and 27 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

that Silas quote will be triggering for the board

that quote about Silas will have some people dismissing this as 2 clueless old dudes talking

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Meh, I'm not triggered.

Who does Chad Forde and/or David Thorpe think is a bad coach. For that matter, any examples of any popular media guys ever saying so and so is a bad coach?

Downtown Sniper, DaDakota and Jontro like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Players look better next to real PGs like WR's look better next to real QBs.

More at 11.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I get the Silas hate, but the next step towards improving this situation in any direction is to get a reliable facilitator at PG. Everyone will grow when they can slow down their decision making and limit their roles.

slothy420, Emtenndo, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

If only there was a veteran, talented PG with lots of experience playing next to a high-volume SG whom may lead the league in scoring one day ...

I'm not going to pretend I am not counting down the days until his contract expires, but it is starting to look more and more like our young backcourt ( and frontcourt ) could learn a lot more from Wall in uniform and on the court rather than sitting on the bench in civi's

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas lost all credibility to me, you have sengun!? my goodness you have found a diamond you run away with it! you jump in the air and proclaim to the world his greatness...... you dont spoon feed the guy minutes and hesitate to make him the focal point....youve already found your cornerstone and franchise guy you silly!!

you have the snipa, KJM garuba jaygup!? MY GOODNESS!!!... they are beautifully talented youngsters... and you play them zero minutes(?!) for scrub vets that aint even good and lose games by 35+ points...lololololo!

8. dmoneybangbang

Yea... it's almost like the FO and coach are showcasing the vets leading up to the mid season deadline......

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green takes bad shots! Sometimes his feet is not even set and he still shoots. But he is going to be a SUPERSTAR! Honestly, he is a taller and better shooter than Morant and Morant is elite. Sengun is a stud he just needs to dunk when he is in the paint and play at least 25 minutes a game. Also, Josh Christopher needs to be our backup point. He has size, handles and speed and when he in the paint he will make it.....putting more pressure on Porter. ....we need to trade for a 6'10 player who can block shots an rebound.....Mo Bamba????

hakeem94 and Joe Rocket like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Was this during the part on Jalen Green? Because I fast forward to the Green part (45:00 mark) and I'm not hearing anything relating to "perfect coach for this situation going forward"....unless it occurred before their Green discussion or after (51:07 mark) when they move to Jalen Suggs.

at 47:48 mark:

Thorpe: "I love [Jalen's] coach. I hope coach silas can convince him ...look what Scottie and Evan are doing...they are reining themselves and impacting the team better and that's the way to do it"

#10 steddinotayto, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    D-rock and Nook like this.
  11. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

I think it might have come a bit before. I remember David Thorpe is the one who said that he was a great coach and he should be able to handle this situation.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

I rewound to before the Green segment and listened to the Sengun segment [40:22 - 42:57] and still not hearing anything about Silas and "Perfect coach for this situation". I skipped around prior to that and I don't think I heard anything in the segments on Barnes, Davion Mitchell, Giddey, etc.

I'm very interested in any commentary from professionals that confidently states that our coach is the "perfect" on for this situation.

D-rock likes this.
  13. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

It wasn't an exaxt quote (which is why I didn't put " " marks around it) but that is was David thorpe was alluding to during the latte part of his praise for Silas.

14. steddinotayto

But even if it's a paraphrase by you, there wasn't anything in the podcast that I listened to that concluded either guys thinking he's a great coach or that he's the perfect coach for this situation. I'm just curious as to how you were able to draw conclusions that they gave him high praise when all either one said was that they (specifically Thorpe) "Loves [Jalen's] coach". Call me a Silas hater if you want but if these guys were willing to say something along the lines of what you summarized/paraphrased my ears will perk up and say "well, these guys know what they're talking about so maybe there's something that I'm missing when I criticize Silas"

D-rock and Nook like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haven’t seen Jalen Green take hardly any bad shots. Have these guys been watching?

Bo6, clos4life, htownborn34 and 2 others like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Great podcast....

Who could have predicted Scottie Barnes potentially being the best player out of the 2021 draft.

Green.... they are spot on. It what it is with Green. Trying to do too much.... not understanding what he can and cant do..... far more athletic than strong at this point.

Edit... Sengun is awesome. Interesting Thorpe described Sengun has having "a conscience" in the context of his lacking of shot attempts.

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Also, I don’t get the Durant thing. Durant takes horrible shots, with people all over him. But he makes them. What is it exactly that Durant learn in terms of shot selection? He can take any shot and make it…

DeBeards, B-Bob, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. steddinotayto

I guess you never watched his first few years in the league? I remember a rookie Durant in Seattle that hoisted up shots without conscience

Easy likes this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

vaguely… but I also watched him take a high volume difficult shots just a few months ago in the playoffs. He just makes them, so people don’t think of them as “bad shots”…

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Sengun 40:23
    JGreen 44:48

DeBeards likes this.