1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Texas Tech at #2 Texas

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ajsports23, Sep 18, 2009.

1. The Drake

The Drake Member

"million" was an exaggeration. Ever been to College Station? It just feels like there's that many when you're up there :p

I wasn't attempting to "align" myself with anyone, nor do I have a "cause" I'm pushing. ItsMyFault seemed puzzled by bigtexx's hatred of UT, and while bigtexx's posts may appear to go beyond what is generally thought of as the typical fan/rivalry hatred, I was just trying to point out that people have various alliances for various reasons, and there's not always a clear or reasonable explanation for why we cheer for/against a particular program.

I'm not bigtexx so I can't really comment on his motives. And while his posts do seem excessive at times, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy seeing the UT faithful get all riled up at him. Besides, isn't there a saying or something about how the poor people can say whatever they want about the rich, or how ugly people can make fun of the beautiful people all they want? :p

The idea of "t-shirt fans" is coming up a lot in this thread (and pretty much every other UT thread). The only t-shirt fans I might give a *sideways glance* to are the ones born and raised in Houston, who have no affiliation with a college be it through their own education or an immediate family member's education, but still claim UT or A&M as "their team" when there are two D-1 programs within city limits that are starving for a local following. My suspicions are raised** because there's really no reason to pick UT/A&M over UH/Rice except for the fact that UT/A&M have traditionally been more successful in collegiate athletics. And that is the definition of a bandwagon fan. If there are other reasons, I'm open to enlightenment (no snark-o).

**This super-serious discussion of fandom recognizes that yeah, no one really cares who cheers for whom. It's just fun to debate and holler about. ;)

2. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

My friend and I got into a huge argument about this. He is a UT grad and a big big sports nut. I was minding my own business and he started talking down about my school (UH) and laughing and calling it "cougar high". He acted high and mighty like UT was just superior at everything and he told me he got a better education than I did. It got really ugly. Punches nearly thrown.

I then asked him why my salary is over double of what he is making and why did he have to borrow money last month from someone who attended "cougar high". That pretty much shut him up, but we didn't speak for a few days. In hindsight it was pretty silly, but this proves that some UT people do look down on the other schools in Texas.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone was saying that UT people don't look down on other schools in Texas. There are bad fans everywhere in the world, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

I'm a proud UT grad but I would never say anything like that to anyone.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Top ranked, yes. The sole, premier, athletics program...eehh that's a bit much. It's certainly a debate with no one answer

I attended the home opening, tail-gated with alumns, go to viewing parties at Lucky's and even wear the orange. Doesn't hurt at all...I'm just objective. You should try it some time. :p

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I remember reading something a couple of years ago that stated that UT has the best athletics program. That makes sense when you count baseball, swimming, etc..

And UT has a way better basketball team than Florida now..

6. duwende

duwende Member

I remember that issue. I think Chris Simms was on the cover lol. Anyway it was like Stanford and Texas being the top 2 athletic programs in the country. Texas because almost every major sport we have is nationally ranked and Stanford because they practically have every single NCAA sport available and have had national championships come off of it (water polo comes to mind).

In terms of investment into athletic programs, I would have to say Texas puts a lot of effort into it.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I did, tasted like Chicken.

DD

8. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

go **** your self{.} :D

9. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

well moron i type fast and **** happens
    wish you had balls to say it to my face though anybody can be hard when there in the internet
    ptb
    b**** u blastin or u aint lasting :D

10. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

yall little faggots stay by uptown dont yall
    lol
    :D

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

umm you are trying to act hard on the internet ? :confused:

12. The Drake

The Drake Member

And I usually am...

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I know you... you're the guy that shot Carl Landry when he was getting a late night snack from the hood. Tell Tyrone that Bigzies got mad respect for his peeps. He'll know what I mean.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I know Kung Fu.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is a golden gem. i'll be using this extensively over the next few weeks.