1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CFB Playoff Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 28, 2014.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

For all the haters out there who think that Washington shouldn't be in the playoffs, bite me. As a proud Washington alum, it has taken a decade and half for us to get back to the top. I've watched every single game this season and know that we can bang with the best of them.. Yes, Bama included. Our running game can bang with anyone in the country and our defense is solid. Our QB Jake Browning is a Heisman candidate as well. Granted we played in a especially weak conference this year where traditional powerhouses such as Oregon and Stanford were all suffering from a down year. However that doesn't take away from the fact that we blew out almost every team that we played. It's football. It's one game where anything can happen. I think we have a decent shot at taking down Goliath (Alabama).

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#882 J.R., Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should have had Michigan vs OU

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...there was clear rationale for OSU getting in over them, though. Conference championship vs. TCU/Baylor splitting it. Same record. Impressive H2H wins.

I agree there is no "right" answer in that scenario, as you could make a case for either, but I can't say that it was "ridiculous". There was at least an argument to be made.

Penn State having more losses and less impressive strength of schedule makes Ohio State getting in over them at least reasonable.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There was definitely an argument to be made, especially after Ohio State beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten title game. There wasn't another team in college football that Could have come close to that.

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm pissed about the Rose Bowl. I realize USC beat us in a close game head to head, but we were punished for winning the conference and playing the championship game. All of our losses were to team in the top 10, 2 of which were very close

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Unless I'm missing something, you have a right to be upset. Why did USC go to the Rose Bowl?

9. Buck Turgidson

10. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Hadn't seen this posted, but link to all upcoming bowl games. Figured this best place as any for it rather than start a new thread.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/football/bowls

Here are the Schools from Texas and their bowl games:

Las Vegas Bowl, Dec. 17, 3:30 p.m., Las Vegas, Nev., Houston vs. San Diego St.

Heart of Dallas Bowl, Dec. 27, Noon Dallas, Texas, Army vs. North Texas

Cactus Bowl, Dec. 27,10:15 p.m., Phoenix, Ariz., Baylor vs. Boise State

Texas Bowl, Dec. 28, 9 p.m.,Houston, Texas, Kansas St. vs. Texas A&M

Liberty Bowl, Dec. 30, Noon, Memphis, Tenn., Georgia vs. TCU

#890 Tdogg, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Don't sell the pac 12 short, they are the only conference with 5 teams in the top 20.

watashi315 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Major Edit: not Bob Bowlsby (the castrated head of the BigXII) but I was talking about David Boren, the HMFIC at Oklahoma.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Crazy how things change in a couple of years.....out of conference strength of schedule doesn't seem to mean squat....nor does winning (or losing) your leagues championship game....

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think both of those things still matter a lot, it was just a weird year. The eyeball test still matters. Nobody thinks Penn State or OU is worthy and Washington got the conference title bonus to push it ahead of Michigan. Makes sense to me.

Uprising and J Sizzle like this.
  15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Completely agree. I feel like the big 10 championship for Ohio St 3 years ago is what pushed them past TCU/Baylor 3 years ago. It's better not to be tied to any firm system just for the sake of it unless it's a lot safer like an 8 team playoff and 5 auto quals for the big 5 conference champions. It's very likely to work out like that naturally. That would look like:

#1 (SEC) Alabama vs (Wildcard) Wisconsin
    #2 (ACC) Clemson vs (Big12) Oklahoma
    #3 (Wildcard) Ohio St vs (Michigan)
    #4 (Pac 12) Washington vs (BigTen) Penn St

The only other factor is if you save 1 spot for the top ranked team from a non-power 5 conference which would be undefeated #15 Western Michigan instead of Big 10 Championship loser Wisconsin who ended up with 3 losses.

16. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I think Washington will lose worse than Michigan State did last year.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This. Make conference play matter and take the subjectivity out of it as much as possible.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If it's 8 teams, at least let the top seeds pick their opponents, because that would be too much fun. Or make it 6 teams with a top 2 bye.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

NCAA President Mark Emmert says he would prefer an 8-team CFB Playoff so all Power 5 conference champions are guaranteed a bid

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]