1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS News] John Hinckley Jr., who shot Ronald Reagan, set to be unconditionally released on June 15

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ottomaton, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

source

Washington — John Hinckley Jr., the man who shot and nearly killed President Ronald Reagan in 1981, is set to be unconditionally released from court-ordered psychiatric supervision on June 15, after federal prosecutors, mental health professionals and Hinckley's legal team told a judge on Wednesday that they have no concerns about his mental state.

Hinckley, now 67, shot at Reagan as the president was exiting a Washington hotel on March 30, 1981, puncturing a lung and causing severe internal bleeding. Three others were also wounded. Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982, and remained hospitalized until 2006. He was allowed to live with his mother in 2016.

Hinckley suffered from acute psychosis when he shot the president and had developed an obsession with the actress Jodie Foster, believing the attack would impress her.

In September 2021, the court approved an agreement by prosecutors and Hinckley's defense team that would allow his release in June if he complied with certain conditions. A judge in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia held a hearing on Wednesday to ensure the agreement remained intact.

[​IMG]
    Chaos surrounds shooting victims immediately after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981, by John Hinckley Jr. outside the Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C. Getty Images

In a status report for the court last month, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia wrote that Hinckley "has recovered his sanity such that he does not present a danger to himself or others because of mental illness if unconditionally released on June 15, 2022."

Barry Levin, Hinckley's attorney, told the court on Wednesday the agreement to free his client was the "culmination of decades of work" after medical professionals came to an "unanimous" decision about his mental fitness.

Hinckley wishes he could "undo" his actions, the attorney said, and wished to apologize to the Reagan family. Hinckley himself was not present in court.

Prosecutors said they wish Hinckley "the best" and said his success is a testament to the value of proper mental health care.

Judge Paul Friedman reminded the court that they were present because Hinckley tried to kill Reagan, adding the president "was very close to death." The judge discussed the long history of the case and said the decision did not come lightly.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Excellent timing.

Maybe he can make money on Cameo.

B-Bob and Ottomaton like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No mention of James Brady, a badly wounded victim of the shooting who became a gun control pillar (ie the Brady Bill).

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A great way to celebrate Brady by releasing a lunatic days after a mass shooting

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Already has a youtube channel for his folk music covers.

Nook likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will he be able to buy a gun? He should. He's an American Citizen entitled to his 2nd amendment right.

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is outrageous, in my opinion. James Brady helped produce, for far too brief a time, the last serious legislation impacting the control of this nations most dangerous weapons used for murder. His memory deserves better.

Ronald Reagan, who I had the pleasure of voting against twice (I always say that when I discuss the late president...makes me feel good for a moment), couldn't sniff the Republican nomination for the nation's highest office today. He would be accused of being "woke" or whatever is the current meme popular among Republicans and/or supporters of trump, one or two words being so much easier for their intellect to handle than producing a couple of paragraphs. President Reagan today would be dismissed out of hand.

While I drew pleasure voting against Ronnie, I was shocked by the act and genuinely wished him a full recovery when the madman, Hinckley, damn near killed the gentleman. I think the creature should stay behind bars for the rest of his natural life. I really do. Releasing him in today's political climate, when you have states like Texas where teenagers can purchase assault rifles when they turn 18, then turn around and do unspeakable things with them, is a mistake. In my opinion.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Happy for him. I think he paid his debt to society.

9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Interesting......

DD

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you're not guilty by reason of insanity, then he is being released within the due process of the law. If he shouldn't be released, then nobody who is found not guilty by insanity should be released from some sort of institutionalization. All the doctors and prosecutors are on the same page.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should be eligible to buy an AR-15 and become an advocate for the NRA.

#12 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Tell me more about this new model...

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

This would leak and he'd gain support:

Deckard and durvasa like this.