1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cbs article on yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, Oct 15, 2003.

1. WestendMassive

dont know if this has already ben posted and it doesnt have anything new in it but its nice to see something optimistic around here isnt it? even steve had something nice to say at the end ;)

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6711426

Yo! Well-adjusted Yao seems set for big second season

Oct. 10, 2003
    By Mike Kahn
    SportsLine.com Executive Editor
    Tell Mike your opinion!

The natural affinity was obvious. Just the way giddy Steve Francis laughed while leaning on this towering bundle of corduroy -- the leg of 7-5 teammate Yao Ming -- as they sat together on the bench spoke volumes of how the young Houston Rockets expect this season to play out.

Yao Ming and Steve Francis are developing a bond that may lead to greatness.(AP)
    Not only are they great talents who one day might dominate the Western Conference together, but they actually like each other. Yes, they really like each other.

"We learned a lot about getting along and the different cultures last year," Francis said. "This year, I can see he's a lot more comfortable and confident, and he gets my jokes a lot better too."

It was just three days removed from Yao's arrival from the Asian Games, where he dominated the pivot for his native China. Now Yao was less than 24 hours away from his first full practice day with his team and new coach Jeff Van Gundy.

Indeed, his rookie numbers -- 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.79 blocks in 29 minutes a game -- aren't the kind that make scouts drool and general managers swoon. But considering he missed all of training camp last season while the two governments figured out how to handle his situation, the way he filled out the box score as a rookie was adequate. He displayed enough of his vast array of skills to keep general manager Carroll Dawson and the rest of the Rockets organization excited about the future with the first overall pick in the 2002 draft.

He missed the start of training camp again because of the obligations to his home country. The Asian Games schedule kept getting pushed back, causing him to miss four days and 10 practices. With Van Gundy implementing his system, it wasn't ideal.

But they'll take it.

"He missed the whole preseason last year," Dawson said, "so this is much better. Last year was a real learning experience for him and what he went through still amazes me. He played in China all summer, didn't have training camp, came to a different country and culture, and to have that success against the best players in the world is just phenomenal."

Besides, he's doesn't turn 23 until Sunday.

"There is some tiredness from all that flying and just coming from the Games," Yao said through his interpreter Colin Pine. "But I'm so excited to be here, I'm glad I can finally get started again."

As Dawson explained, those who had been tracking Yao since high school weren't shocked by his passing skills and feel for the game. His parents were both on the Chinese National Team and had experienced plenty of success in their own right. Yao attended a sports high school that focused on developing him athletically as well as in the classroom.

He had several streaks of great games -- during one six-game stretch making 31-of-35 shots -- and he had at least three blocks in 26 games (the Rockets were 22-4 when that happened) including a season-high six against Shaquille O'Neal and the Los Angeles Lakers in January. And that's just the start. He gained 20 more pounds of upper body strength to more than 310.

"When he got back there in the summer, the Chinese couldn't believe how much different he looked because of our weight program during the season," Dawson said. "So we sent through a number of copies of our program to use for their team and so he could keep working on it while he was there. He's a very diligent young man. You give him a task to do and he does it. If it's jumping rope or lifting weights, you don't have to watch him. He just does what needs to be done.

"And even before he plays a game this year, we can already see how much more confident he is. He knows he has a place in this league, and we believe he's going to be a great, great player."

That would be the hope, of course. Van Gundy brought retired All-Star center Patrick Ewing as part of his coaching staff, and presumably to further Yao's adjustment.

Word is that Ewing has bristled at the idea that he was brought in as merely a tutor for the young center, but he did say: "Yao's going to be a great player that's only going to get better. He has the size and talent, but he's also smart and works hard."

All redeeming qualities if he has the competitive zeal to make it through. That might be the tough part. Van Gundy has no qualms about it. Of course he wanted him there when training camp began in Galveston, but it wasn't going to happen. The 18 months off since Van Gundy resigned as coach of the New York Knicks helped him deal with it.

At least initially it did.

"I really missed him being here," Van Gundy said. "But it's no one's fault. He was serving his country and got here as quick as he could. Was it ideal? No. Is he ideal? Yes. The situation may not be ideal, but he is. I'm gonna learn in Mandarin, 'Paint-catch.' That's what I'm gonna learn (so he gets the ball in the post). I do like the idea of coaching him, but then I'm excited about coaching the group."

Yao was obviously happy about being part of the group too. Of course someone 7-5 and Chinese will stand out anywhere, but just the concept of a second season sits better with him. He's more familiar with the holidays and travel and the 82-game schedule, and what they eat before and after games.

"You have to understand last year I was so excited when I got here I didn't get tired until 30-40 games into the season," Yao said. "It took about 60 games until I got adjusted to the NBA game. This year I'll definitely better just because of the year experience. I know the players better and they know me. I was excited to see them and they were excited to see me."

And that is obviously part of the deal as well. Francis knows it, too. That's why he's taken it upon himself to help Yao's strides into NBA stardom be shorter and shorter. The faster he grows, so will the team.

"We developed a good relationship last year and he's a lot better adjusted," Francis said. "He has a year under his belt and understands what the first wave of his life in the NBA was like. He knows what the best players in the NBA can do and what he can do against them. He still has a lot to learn recognizing offense and defense, but he's getting it fast. Real fast. It's time we grew up as a team."

And when they do, everybody in and around the league will recognize the Mandarin term for "paint-catch," just before the ball goes through the basket for two more points.

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Great read. Thanks.

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Unless it's fresh out of oven....

yes, it's been posted