1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs Philly 5 player trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JuanValdez, Aug 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hill, J. Jones to Cavs for Harpring, Traylor and someone.

2. JuanValdez

Sixers, Cavs complete 5-player trade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

The Cleveland Cavaliers traded forwards Matt Harpring and Cedric Henderson and center Robert Traylor to the Philadelphia 76ers for center Tyrone Hill and forward Jumaine Jones on Friday.

The trade was just announced. Return to this file for more details as we receive them

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0803/1234817.html

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

why would you ever do that if you were philly???

4. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Damn. Apparently the "team MVP" in Larry Brown's eyes and what looked to be a late first round steal in Jumaine Jones can only garner a lottery bust, Traylor, an oft injured average player and a player who has gotten worse every year he's been in the league in Henderson.

What the HELL was Philly thinking?

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

I guess Philly thinks that Harpring is the better answer for the future at SF than Jumaine Jones, though I don't see why. More of a tenacious defender, though, and that will fit in well with the Sixers squad.

Hill will be missed, though, especially with the loss of MacCulloch - unless this means that they can now match New Jersey's offer....that might be why they did it.

Other than that, I'm not sure why they make the move myself.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't see much rationale for that trade by Phily. Hill played hard and Jones has potential and can shoot OK. I don't see anything in the guys they got that works out better than the guys they sent. I guess they are hoping Harpring can give them scoring and shooting from the 3, maybe he can build from his rookie season (8 PPG 4 RPG in 22 minutes; .463 FG .400 3%) instead of his last two.

7. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

**LUXURY TAX ALERT**

Henderson, Harpring, and Traylor all have contracts that expire at the end of the year.

8. knifejc

knifejc Member

This trade is some what confusing, it just doesn't make sense for Philly, although i do think they gained a lil more offense in Harpring but i haven't looked at the numbers to back up that statement

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

mfclark, good point. This probably shouldn't be seen as an isolated occurrence.

IMO, the Sixers make another trade in the next two days. Unfortunately, we all remember that Traylor and Taylor were hanging out on draft night. Hopefully fat boy isn't coming here. :)

If he is, Collier + a s&t of Shandon (good for all parties involved) would get you TT + ???

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harpring is better than Jones and I like Moiso as a project.

11. Ren

Ren Member

I dont understand the trade at all but I dont see it in anyones favor!

The only thing the 76ers lose his Hill,Jones is mediocre and is only a role player at best.

I really like Traylor ever since he was in Michigan with Mo,even though he isnt going to be a great player I still think he is underated and will be a good player for years to come.Harpring is not only a step up on Jones but I think he should be ahead of Mckie as well!As for Henderson I dont really know hes okay I guess but I think he is only a project just hanging in the league as long as he can,reminds me of a less talented Adrian Griffin.

In the 76ers other trade for Moiso,they had to be thinking"potential"because he sucks !!!I think Mcleod is a good player but wasent going to find playing time as a sixer not that he will get any behind Pierce,Johnson,Brown, or Antoine in Boston!!!

Seeing these trades makes me think it would be easy to find a S&T for Shandon.

12. JuanValdez

I get the feeling Philly wanted to deal Tyrone Hill ever since his no-show in the playoffs. Plus, with losing McColloch (sp?), they perhaps felt they needed to trade for some frontcourt beef -- thus Traylor.

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't see what is so bad about this trade talent wise. Now it is obvious that Tyrone Hill is the scape goat for Philly, and they ran him out of town the same way they did Matt Williams and blamed him for their World Series loss. But Ray Traylor and Cedric Henderson for Tyrone Hill isn't bad at all for the 76ers, they add depth, both of those guys could rebound, they get a bit younger, and I'm pretty sure those guys are better scorers. Jones and Harpring may be a bit of a wash compared to last year, but if it meant replacing Jones with Harpring to get the trade done do it I guess. I actually feel this is a good deal for the 76ers.

14. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Going from Tyrone Hill to Robert Traylor and Cedric Henderson is an enormous step down. Hill may just be a role-player, but both Traylor and Henderson stink.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tyrone Hill is the cap hit from hell. I believe he's signed for like 3 or 4 more years @ 9M/year. Before the beginnging of last year, the 76'ers had IMO the second worst cap situation behind the Nets. By trading both Hill and 'The Waiter', they now have options.

16. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Actually, according to RealGM he's only signed for two more years at $6.6M per year.

And here's an article from last month to back it up :)

Besides, you can't be serious in thinking that any teams have worse cap situations than Portland or New York (both of whom are committed to paying the luxury tax through 2004 :eek: with their current contracts), can you??