1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CATO: Our #1 Priority

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If maybe more important to get rid of CATO
    than to get Webber
    [Well . . a relatively close second]

I see him as a anchor
    as in dragging a ship to it's death
    rather than securing it.

Rocket River

------------------

2. haven

haven Member

I don't think situation's quite THAT drastic. I mean, he's almost useless... but he's not such a cancer that he ruins the team's spirit. He does occasionally contribute a little bit...

The key isn't removing Cato, but rather making the Rockets a better team. Trading Cato furthers that goal... but only if they get something decent in return. Trading him for players that will be cut wouldn't make any sense at all.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Answer this question: Which team would be better?

1)a team with Webber, but also with Cato on it.

2)a team without Webber and Cato...maybe a FA center brought in.

I think most people would say #1, so the top priority should be getting Webber since that would help our team more than getting rid of Cato.

------------------

4. unt2003

unt2003 Member

i would definitely take #1.. maybe webber could teach CATO something. Cato is still young and could learn a trick or two from webber (if we get him).

------------------

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cato would only pick up whatever BAD habits
    Webber may have. . .more than likely he
    would just gain some then blame webber.

Ideal - Webber without Cato
    next - Webber with cato
    next - no Webber without cato
    Worse - no Webber WITH CATO

Rocket River

------------------

6. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post, so here it goes.

Although I would have to agree with you that Webber is our #1 priority, ridding ourselves of Cato isn't anywhere as important as other issues. We have the potential to get an excellent sf in the draft, sign Webber (MAX), and get Marc Jackson (nice outside compliment to Webber, 5m). That would make us contenders for years!

------------------
    Greatness is not a
    singular act, it is a
    habit. You are what
    you repeatedly do.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Webber's max would be 14 mil.

14+5=19

Cap Space-16.5 mil.

And Mooch, Shandon, and Colson will want a little raise.

Frankly a Cato/Webber/Morris frontcourt wouldn't bother me.

Cato has consitently been getting close to 5-6 boards if he gets 20 minutes a game.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rocket River is right,Cato is a HUGE problem.Cato is a cancer on the team,and is unwilling to improve and will drag this team down.At the present time he is untradable,but the Rockets must look at all possibilities to get rid of him,even though it would leave us without a center.The Rockets should try to get Marc Jackson ,and Todd MacCullogh to replace Cato.Although we should try to get the best players possible in exchange for Cato,at the present time we should get role players with one or two year contracts so we can get under the cap in the future.

------------------

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing is because we have Cap space we should be able to trade him for nothing
    or does the RECEIVING team need to have
    cap space?

I know you guys will hate me but if
    BIG COUNTRY didn't have his own bigger
    contract . . . I would trade cato for him
    [if they had the same contract]

Rocket River

------------------

10. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Rocket River
    As big of a stiff as Reeves is and as inflated as that contract is I have to agree with you on this one. I figure both are overpaid anyway but Big Country is playing (imho) better than Cato is right now. Both of them arent very good and its a bit of a "pick your poison" with either of them.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cato needs to stew on the bench for the last 3 games -- not play a minute. Then he needs to be placed behind Collier next year at the start of the year. That's the only way he'll get any fire in him. He's actually been showing some fire lately--I've noticed that in the rebounding area. He's really been getting after the loose balls the last few games more than he was earlier. We need to embarass the hell out of him (playing behind Collier will surely accomplish this) and get him mad. Or we could trade him.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You're right, we hate you. BIG Country? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Actually, in hindsight, I would have rahter had Country on the roster this year than Cato. But I want neither of them to be honest!!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I agree completely. When he is in the game, we are playing with 4 defenders. Less if Walt is in, and Cat is b****ing at officials while his man is downcourt dunking. You don't have to be a ******* to be bad for a team. I would rather have Pig back there putting a body on someone driving then have Cato pulling a Matador.

Get rid of him and do it fast. Otherwise we are the same team next year.

------------------