1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Raef

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Oct 1, 2006.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wrong. Raef makes too much money. The TE should be used to get a meaningful player. Raef isn't meaningful. Some of us don't have the same regard for him as you do. I have a hunch (wishful thinking?) the Rockets are going to eat the last year of Juwan's $7MM salary if he isn't traded. That would be much tougher to do with Raef's $13MM in 08/09.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Raef is 3 years younger than Juwan. In three years, when he is expiring he will be the age that Juwan is now.

The problem with a lot of you guys is you think if a fella has an injury and a bad season that he is finished. I can't hardly believe that people would compare Juwan or Padgett to him favorably. That's just me though, I guess.

I don't think he is finished. I think he is in his prime. And he has just come off a year recovering from a major injury. I think he is a legit big man who brings a lot of skill to the table. He's got great size and length and he can hit the 3 ball. No, he can't guard shooting guards, he is not that quick. But to say that he wouldn't be an average defender against league bigs.........is ridiculous.

Name me one gettable big man that can guard Tim Duncan and force Duncan to work hard without just slapping TD around until he fouls out. Name me one gettable big man that can do that, that can even provide a deterrent to Tim Duncan. Because you guys seem to think that guy is out there and he is going to play for less than $4 million. Do you really think Ely can cause Duncan problems????? And can Juwan even slow Duncan down???? Not on your life. The best thing that you can hope for is a long rangy defender to at least put a body on Duncan and then offensively force Duncan to defend outside the paint to take him away from helping out in the paint. That's why Shane is going to work out well for us as a PF and that is why a player like Raef fits a whole lot better than a Juwan Howard who is 3 years older, tons slower, smaller, and has less shooting range than Raef and another big stiff that is 6 fouls against Tim Duncan and that can't help spread the floor offensively.

If we keep Juwan and we sign somebody else to play backup center, then we've got $10 million or so invested in what????? In Nothing. And they take up not 1 but 2 roster spots.

Raef is not washed up. He has skills. And he only takes up one roster spot.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I never claimed to want it both ways. I actually don't think they will use the 4.2TE unless some incredible offer comes fourth.

I do know that if the Rockets decide to team option Kirk Snyder and Luther Head (which I think they will because they are cheap), then they are going to have about $62 or $63 million tied up next off-season, and that's before re-signing Chuck Hayes. The Luxury Tax threshold for next season will probably be at $69 million. They'll probably be able to re-sign Chuck Hayes and spend their Full MLE (on 1 or several players divided) and be right at the Luxury tax level. If they committed a 4.2 extra base salary this year, then it would cleary put them over the LT threshold...that's why I don't see them spending the 4.2TE unless some great offer comes.

And if they did that trade for LaFrentz, the Rockets would then have an additional $1.1 million tied up for the 2007-08 season, and an additional $5.347 million tied up for the 08-09 season. And if the Rockets enter Luxury Tax territory, then those figures would cost them double.

So for me, it's fiscal decision. The way the Rockets currently have their salaries structured, they will always be over the cap, but can add the MLE each year and be around the Luxury Tax level.

That's why Sura coming off the books in 2 years is huge, and even to a lesser degree Bowen's next year. The Rockets aren't being cheapskates like the Bobcats, but to me, it seems obvious that they don't plan to be spending like the Mavs, and thus they won't deal for a bigger contract with more guaranteed money.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I totally understand your reasoning for wanting LaFrentz. It's just the money. LaFrentz would be damaging the Rockets' ability to add a Full MLE in two years. And I think the Rockets are banking on Yao, Battier, Hayes, JHo, and young scrubs that hopefully develop (like Badman) to man the 4/5 positions for the next 4 years. Either that or they could use their MLE money on that if Vspan and Snyder become studs. LaFrentz' contract would mess up their flexibility.

#23 Kim, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  4. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

Reiterate Raef makes Way Too Much money.

If you're gonna paid $11million per year for a greater than stiff to shoot threes, why not just get Randolph instead or trade for Troy Murphy.

5. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Jho is better than Raef!!
    :mad:

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

There no longer is any FEAR for RAEF .... if there ever was any. The looking glass reflects darkly for him.

Why not look in Europe or in the cut lists to find a 6-foul backup C until we can draft a decent one next year? Even if we have a banner year and draft in the high 20s, it appears that there are going to be some quality big men still on the board. I'd rather have young legs, fresh enthusiasm and a small contract than a past his prime giraffe with an elephant contract.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i just don't see it happening. the rockets wouldn't want to commit to that kind of contract for an underproducing, injury plagued player. yes his game is a perfect fit, but i say pass due to the money.